How was your voting experience? (1 Viewer)

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Several members shared their early voting experiences in other threads so I thought this might be a useful non-partisan topic to explore. This thread can serve as a centralized spot for people to discuss their voting experience.

It would be interesting to see the difference across states, different voting mechanisms, and early vs election day. Share as much or as little as you want.

I voted in Washington state and it took a couple minutes. Here ballots and voting guides are mailed to your registered address about three weeks before the election. Ballots are filled out (line linked arrows), signed, and then returned via mail or drop box. I prefer this to in person voting since it makes voting as easy as possible and allows voters to research each candidate and initiative.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I've been an election day/night junkie since I was a kid. Without even caring about the politics itself, I've always liked watching the returns come in, and how the statistics play out. In recent times, it's even been a little disappointing to me that the returns come in so fast and they start calling elections so early. It loses some of the suspense.

So that said, I will vote on Tuesday. I like the tradition of it. I've voted early in the past if scheduling has required it, but I prefer to go the polls on election day. (And now I can keep an eye out for "irregularities" :hihi: )

RussTKD

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I went to the polls to early vote and was met by an armed militia wearing "Make America Great Again" hats and "Black Lives Matter" T-shirts.

Not really.

I went early to Koop Drive Government complex in Mandeville, stood in line for about 10 minutes, signed in, got my card, voted, and left. Relatively uneventful.

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My son drove in from Baton Rouge Tuesday to vote absentee. He called me as he was heading into the booth to ask about all the amendments and other races. Yikes, this was an hour conversation he anted me to do in thirty seconds.

I like the idea of ballots and voting guides being mailed out in advance, but I do enjoy my trips to the polls and the **** chat with the workers.

I had this cool thing pop up on facebook where I enter my address and it links me to my ballot and from there it links to discussions about amendments and races. I have a lot of work to do to get up to speed on the amendments.

A good friend of mine is running for la supreme ct judge here, and I bet 90% of the voters or more know nothing about him or his opponent. It will be a lot of people guessing in the booth which goes on a lot. This race is drawing a lot of national attention and his opponent is getting big out of state bucks.

The national election has overshadowed a big senate race we have in La too.

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons
I'm with buzd -- I'm an election day voter. I like the old school, going to the precinct, getting in line (usually very short, maybe 10 minutes tops) and voting that way. I get to see other people voting in my neighborhood, sometimes get to help out (in 2000 there was an older gentleman who needed help getting out of his car, into his wheelchair, and to the polling booth, so me and my roommate got out of line, went out in the rain to help him out of the car and into his wheelchair, helped him to the poll to vote then took him back to his car afterwards), and you get those "I voted" stickers.

EDIT: I also now get the AJC's voter guide where you can go online, compare candidates, make your choice and it will sent you a summary of the ballot in your location so you can use that while you are in the booth voting. I even have a rule for voting from that process now: any candidate that doesn't send in information to the AJC/LWV questions/statements on their positions, I refuse to vote for no matter the party or office. If they can't take the time to answer something that is very helpful for the voters, then I don't think they deserve the office.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've voted the day of, early in person, and now via mail. I found the day off and mail to be the easiest. Early voting in Florida tends to have long lines, but that may be location dependent.

I found the main in ballot to be the most relaxing experience, because I could take my time looking up information on the candidates and provisions.

nolaspe

nolaspe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Went to the Yenni building on Tuesday, waited for little over an hr in an assembly room w/ others on 2nd floor till my row was sent up to the 5th floor to vote. They kept us entertained by showing kids from different Jeff parish schools doing dancing competitions on the tv's... Plus the cop running the show of sitting ppl in rows/sending them up was pretty funny...

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
simple and painless.

my vote doesn't matter on the top of the ticket though because I'm stuck in Louisiana.

voted my conscience on the amendments and bottom of the ticket races.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
I'm in Colorado, so we got our ballot in the mail. One night my wife and I sat down and filled ours out while, uh, internet researching some of the ballot issues, and drinking beers. Then we sealed our ballots, signed the envelopes, and put them in the mail. Got a confirmation of receipt a few days later by e-mail. I liked it way better than going to a polling office.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in Colorado, so we got our ballot in the mail. One night my wife and I sat down and filled ours out while, uh, internet researching some of the ballot issues, and drinking beers. Then we sealed our ballots, signed the envelopes, and put them in the mail. Got a confirmation of receipt a few days later by e-mail. I liked it way better than going to a polling office.
I wish we got a confirmation e-mail.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Pretty much same thing here. My wife and I filled them out together over the weekend and and then she dropped them off on her way home from work a few days later.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
Polling place was the library which is about 2 blocks away from my house. That was nice. We have the advantage of being able to vote at any location, not just being confined to one local precinct. That's nice too. Had to wait in line maybe 10 minutes.

on the way out, there was an old guy with one of those hats. "Who'd you vote for?" I laughed and said "I'm guessing not the same person you voted for?" and he laughed and said something like. "Oh, that's fine, we all have our choice to make, I'm just glad to see young people getting out there and voting." We told each other to have a nice day. It was cool.

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I always vote on the day of the election. I also like the tradition of it and think we should have a national holiday for voting.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
I always vote on the day of the election. I also like the tradition of it and think we should have a national holiday for voting.
I like the holiday idea too, but you know half the country would just take Monday off and try to turn it into a four day weekend.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was a little concerned about mailing it. Here, you also have the option of delivering your ballot personally to a polling office, if you prefer that to mailing.
We can hand deliver it as well. They do request an e-mail (I think.. ) so I'm sure they could do it. And maybe if I looked it up on the State server, I could find my status as 'voted' or something... hmm.. I think I'll check now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom