How we can fix Jameis (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
His potential is Aaron Rodgers dare I say Patrick Mahomes level good.

His worst is flat out unplayable.

So the question is how do we mitigate the turnovers out of his game ?

1. Run - We have the best back in the league , Murray is averaging more than most teams starters and is a freight train. Our offensive line is the best in the league and will be for years to come. That spells run the damn ball. Not science here , running the ball takes the pressure off of Jameis , nullifies the passrush , and makes those instances we do pass like on play action much more likely to be explosive plays. We will have guys running wide open. Easy pickings for Jameis. Make the game easy.

2. Scheme it out of him - Most of dudes picks come on poor situations. 3rd and forever , offensive line can't protect him , no real checkdowns in Bruce Arians hail mary offense. So continue throwing the ball to AK out of the backfield. Move the pocket , give him time to find an open guy rather than having him let go of a dart before a guy can get separation. The more time he gets , the better decisions he makes.

3. He improves - We can scheme all we want , what matters most is he develops. Understands coverage , anticipates releases , and instead of trying to win it all in one throw , lives to fight another down or drive.

We can't afford to let talent like his pass us by without trying to correct the mistakes. Because if we hit on Jameis Winston , New Orleans will reign a decade longer.

Young OL , Young Backs , Young Receivers , Young QB , all balling at an elite level is a dream to dream about.

dwid

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yes he had some bad luck, but if you break down every qb's interceptions you are likely to see the same exact thing. How is it bs to bring up Palmer? other posters defending Winston want to bring up guys like George Blanda playing in the 60's, its only fair to bring up other qbs that played in the system. Palmer still did better his first year, thats a 3.8 interception percentage, compared to 4.8 that Winston had. Carson Palmer averaged a high interception percentage with Cincy and Oakland so you can't simply blame the offense. Winston also has been prone to turning the ball over before Arians. As far as Blanda, the interception percentage in 1962 was 7! So yes Winston's 4.8 is great if you want to compare him to 1960 standards lol. Also career backup Drew Stanton was able to win in the same offense with a lower interception percentage. He actually went from a 4.8 int percentage in Detroit to a 3.2 in Arian's offense. Should we bring him in for a look too? Im sure some of one or two of Stanton's picks was from a tipped ball, its not his fault Arian's didn't develop his potential. He was a 2nd round pick and he's only 36 there's gotta be potential.

Look maybe he develops under Payton, it would take a ton of time and I have many doubts. I didn't have anything against the guy until so many posters started clamoring for him to start over Brees this year which is just absurd. Then I started looking at footage and stats and it doesn't look good.

Reaction score
Yes he had some bad luck, but if you break down every qb's interceptions you are likely to see the same exact thing. How is it bs to bring up Palmer? other posters defending Winston want to bring up guys like George Blanda playing in the 60's, its only fair to bring up other qbs that played in the system. Palmer still did better his first year, thats a 3.8 interception percentage, compared to 4.8 that Winston had. Carson Palmer averaged a high interception percentage with Cincy and Oakland so you can't simply blame the offense. Winston also has been prone to turning the ball over before Arians. As far as Blanda, the interception percentage in 1962 was 7! So yes Winston's 4.8 is great if you want to compare him to 1960 standards lol. Also career backup Drew Stanton was able to win in the same offense with a lower interception percentage. He actually went from a 4.8 int percentage in Detroit to a 3.2 in Arian's offense. Should we bring him in for a look too? Im sure some of one or two of Stanton's picks was from a tipped ball, its not his fault Arian's didn't develop his potential. He was a 2nd round pick and he's only 36 there's gotta be potential.

Look maybe he develops under Payton, it would take a ton of time and I have many doubts. I didn't have anything against the guy until so many posters started clamoring for him to start over Brees this year which is just absurd. Then I started looking at footage and stats and it doesn't look good.
I totally get where you are coming from. As I mentioned before, Big Ben turnovers are comparable to Jameis' since he has been in the league, but a winning team will erase all of that.

I think more people write off Jameis because of the off the field stuff (look at how many people in this thread are talking about "crab legz" when diving into the details, the guy at Publix hooked him up, but hey, whatever for those laughs) than what's actually happening on the field. The team hasn't gotten attention until now, Brady is throwing interceptions and taking sacks more than he normally does.

When you really sit back and look at numbers, his numbers are very similar to Drew's before he got here. A scheme and team dynamics goes a long way into QB play. I'm not saying, start him over Drew by any means, but it would have been nice to get a pre season to see him run the offense.

And I hope footage is more than just a bad highlight here or there (what we got on ESPN, Fox News, etc) and actually look at a few games in its entirety. If you say he put them in the hole, the same credit must be given for them coming back and putting them in position to win the same game. Also, check out the all-22 when you get a chance. Because what we are talking about is the 30 interceptions thrown. No where in the league does anyone bring up dropped ints unless it is talking about Jameis. You've never seen that brought up for anyone else, so I'm not going to bring it up here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom