How we can fix Jameis (1 Viewer)

Been saying that for a while. He has done better numbers than anyone in their first year in Arians system. Everyone ignores this but outside of last year, his numbers were similar to Drew's years in San Diego, but let some tell it, Drew was destined for the HOF when he first got here. lol. If anyone really looked into the Bucs team dynamic, they would know that:

*Their O-Line was the pits
*Their running game was trash
*Tight play was sketchy
*Defense was garbage half the season
*Arian's offense is outdated

Yet, they still should have been a 10-6 team, even with the interceptions and even with Evans and Godwin hurt the last month of the season, on top of playing hurt a good portion of it.

Sometimes, I'm starting to believe that people don't know when a gift horse has fell into their lap and, either through preconceived notions, bias, lack of knowledge of the sport, ESPN hot take or "crab lehgz." We've had this happen twice in the last 3 years. We might want to take advantage of it this time. We will see what coach really thinks this offseason.

I think Bruce is the most overrated coach around. How he has two Super Bowl rings, I don't know.

I love when asked by a reporter why his offensive scheme takes so many stupid risks, he says "No risk-it no biscuit.". But then tried to destroy Winston's career for throwing too many pics. Arian's is just a garbage coach.

And yeah you bring up a good point, it's not exactly like when Drew came here he was setting the world on fire. He literally didn't have medical clearance to throw a football and his stats at that point were just bad. But Winston is too much of a risk, really?? Like 5,000 yard passers just drop from the sky every day or something.

His decisions in the Bruce Arians offense:

Throw risky bomb option #1. If not open, progress to risky bomb option #2. If still not there, check down to insanely covered Hail-Mary route #3.

He executed that offense as well as anyone, but the problem wasn't the QB I don't think. But you are correct in that we can coach decision making, you can't coach the intangibles he has.
Let's not forget that, minus Arians, Winston still managed to throw 58 Ints, in just 56 career games. He was hardly looking after the football well.

I'm not saying no player is unfixable, nor am I saying we don't have a great staff to maximise what a player does well, but let's not pretend JW is a ready made franchise QB waiting to take over either.

Personally, I think he is this years Bridgewater. A player with experience who can keep the team afloat if Brees misses any time, but really not a long term option. Hill certainly is not a viable number 2 QB so you need another who can run the offense. He will be elsewhere next year more than likely.

He has potential, but I don't think this was a long term investment. Just my opinion.

Let's not forget that, minus Arians, Winston still managed to throw 58 Ints, in just 56 career games. He was hardly looking after the football well.

I'm not saying no player is unfixable, nor am I saying we don't have a great staff to maximise what a player does well, but let's not pretend JW is a ready made franchise QB waiting to take over either.

Like the other guy showed, Winston's TD to Interception ratio is just slightly worse than Drew Brees' at this point in his career through five seasons.

I don't know if Winston is our future franchise QB, but I know that those are hard to find in general. So before we just pass on someone with this much natural talent and production.....we better make sure we have a plan.

Like the other guy showed, Winston's TD to Interception ratio is just slightly worse than Drew Brees' at this point in his career through five seasons.

I don't know if Winston is our future franchise QB, but I know that those are hard to find in general. So before we just pass on someone with this much natural talent and production.....we better make sure we have a plan.
I appreciate the other post you've referenced, but to lay the 30 picks at Arian's door alone had to be addressed šŸ˜€

Natural talent is what seduces fans and coaches alike, but that alone is never enough. I think he wants to be better, and he's in a great situation to learn, but if he can actually get better is still in question.

The team will have it's Drew Brees succession plan. Saying they don't, or haven't told us what it is, is not a mandate to change QB this season.

I appreciate the other post you've referenced, but to lay the 30 picks at Arian's door alone had to be addressed šŸ˜€

Natural talent is what seduces fans and coaches alike, but that alone is never enough. I think he wants to be better, and he's in a great situation to learn, but if he can actually get better is still in question.

The team will have it's Drew Brees succession plan. Saying they don't, or haven't told us what it is, is not a mandate to change QB this season.

I've never heard anyone EVER say about a quarterback who threw for 30+ td's and 5,000+ yards that he needs to get "better". He was on a bad team, constantly playing from behind, in an offensive system that demanded risky throws. Why can't it just be that simple?

Tom Brady in the Bruce Arians offense has thrown two pick-six interceptions in just the first four games. Know how many times he did that in New England? Oh yeah, zero times.

Teddy wasn't good enough, now Winston isn't good enough. QB's like these don't fall into your lap every day....

Guy has a cannon for an arm...his decision making is what needs work. You can't teach arm strength but fortunately you can teach decision making. I'd like to see him tear it up here.

Also can't teach athleticism and height 6'4". What could Sean Payton do with a QB that could actually see over his center and guards? Love Drew and wish we could keep him for another 20 years (assuming he would stay 30 years old forever), but JW has the intangibles that you cannot teach. I was never a JW fan coming out of college, but I think he has matured greatly since being released from Tampa. He was always given everything in his life since he was in elementary school. Now he will have to work hard to regain his QB status. It takes a certain kind of man to be able to realize this.

I thought for sure when he was cut, he would basically throw a temper tantrum, NFL style of course, and stay unsigned unless he signed as a starter elsewhere. But he didn't. He became a backup, third string at that per Saint's depth chart. He has not once made a scene about it.

I would love to see JW get the opportunity to play Taysom's QB role on the team, getting about 5 snaps a game. With Taysom, there is a 99% chance it will be a running play, with 90% him keeping the ball. If JW were to get those same snaps, you could really open up the playbook to pass, run or keep....a true option QB if so desired for those special plays. Either way, unless he is used this season in some capacity, it will be hard to decide whether or not to resign him as the future.

Agree with the OP. Off the charts talent. With a year under the GOAT and with SP guiding him in the future, I think JW is OUR future. Gamble? Maybe but with that kind of talent under SP I think one worth rolling the dice

I keep him on the bench this year and not let him go out and put some GOOD tape. Then I think we can get him at a reasonable price

I've never heard anyone EVER say about a quarterback who threw for 30+ td's and 5,000+ yards that he needs to get "better".
Yes you have. Every time someone talked about the play of James Winston. It's empirical evidence.

Because the stats you keep throwing out there don't account for success on their own. Ignoring the INTs doesn't make them stop hurting a team.

Did you know that in just 4 and a bit years, Winston had thrown picks on 10 opening drives, more than any other QB currently playing? Think about how that puts your team into a hole, constantly having to chase the game, when you're busy handing out excuses.

If you're determined to be blind to the fact that big arms alone don't win games, that's up to you, but you're once again going to struggle to convince others. And we certainly won't just sit here quietly without challenging you on the fact šŸ˜Ž

Why not compare him to Manning?
Peyton vs. Jameis Stats first 5 years:

Peyton:
20,618 passing yards; 138 TDs, 100 INTs, 62.1 Completion percentage.; 85.9 QB rating; 4.9 TD rate; 3.5 INT rate

Jameis: 19,737 passing yards; 121 TDs, 88 INTs, 61.3 Completion percentage 86.9 QB rating; 4.7 TD rate; 3.5 INT rate

It's not just Ints. Its fumbles and sacks, just plain bad throws. He was a mistake prone QB his whole career. There was a reason they went into that season hoping Arians could fix him. He was already on the hot seat.

I'm not against Winston but I'm not going to pretend he's plug and play. He has to be fixed to start again. There is a reason he lost his job and it wasn't just one season. After losing his job the best he could get in the open market was a backup opportunity behind established QBs. That should tell all you need to know.

Why not compare him to Manning?
Peyton vs. Jameis Stats first 5 years:

Peyton:
20,618 passing yards; 138 TDs, 100 INTs, 62.1 Completion percentage.; 85.9 QB rating; 4.9 TD rate; 3.5 INT rate

Jameis: 19,737 passing yards; 121 TDs, 88 INTs, 61.3 Completion percentage 86.9 QB rating; 4.7 TD rate; 3.5 INT rate

I have two issues with that. First, you are leaving off two important stats that were major issues for Jameis.

Peyton: 108 Sacks, 27 Fumbles
Jameis: 169 Sacks, 50 Fumbles

Jameis was consistently one of the worst QBs with negative plays. You can blame the o-line but at some point, you have to be smarter with the football.

Secondly, it was a different time for Peyton's early career. I know it doesn't seem that long ago but things were different then. In the late 90's to have a top 10 QB rating an 85 would do. During Jameis's time, that would put you around the bottom 10 QB ratings. You should be judged among your peers.

Last edited:
I have two issues with that. First, you are leaving off two important stats that were major issues for Jameis.

Peyton: 108 Sacks, 27 Fumbles
Jameis: 169 Sacks, 50 Fumbles

Jameis was consistently one of the worst QBs with negative plays. You can blame the o-line but at some point, you have to be smarter with the football.

Secondly, it was a different time for Peyton's early career. I know it doesn't seem that long ago but things were different then. In the late 90's to have a top 10 QB rating an 85 would do. During Jameis's time, that would put you around the bottom 10 QB ratings. You should be judged among your peers.
Oh, now the measure of a quarterback is really how many times he fumbles when he's hit. Those goalposts just keep on changing, first it was interceptions, now fumbles - Jameis just can`t be any good for - some - reason. The calender, the o-line, runningbacks, receivers, coach, temperature, color of his uniform, time of day, or what the cheerleaders were wearing ---- something was wrong because everybody knows Jameis ain't no good, right. Now Peyton, well he was great --- yeah, well, what happened to him when he played in the Superbowl against the Saints? Even great quarterbacks screw up sometimes.
Has Jameis said and done goofy things at times, yes. (Peyton too by the way.) But, ex-coaches and teammates sing his praises. They say he is dedicated and hard working, a very intelligent player who loves the game.
Sean Payton did not go after Jameis Winston knowing that he was a flawed quarterback beyond repair. He was the first player taken in his draft because of his talent and from what I have seen, 5,000 yards in a season later, that physical talent has not diminished. Thank goodness we have a chance to see if he can fit into the future of the New Orleans Saints. We have the coaches and support personnel who are well-qualified to make that determination.

Oh, now the measure of a quarterback is really how many times he fumbles when he's hit. Those goalposts just keep on changing, first it was interceptions, now fumbles - Jameis just can`t be any good for - some - reason. The calender, the o-line, runningbacks, receivers, coach, temperature, color of his uniform, time of day, or what the cheerleaders were wearing ---- something was wrong because everybody knows Jameis ain't no good, right. Now Peyton, well he was great --- yeah, well, what happened to him when he played in the Superbowl against the Saints? Even great quarterbacks screw up sometimes.
Has Jameis said and done goofy things at times, yes. (Peyton too by the way.) But, ex-coaches and teammates sing his praises. They say he is dedicated and hard working, a very intelligent player who loves the game.
Sean Payton did not go after Jameis Winston knowing that he was a flawed quarterback beyond repair. He was the first player taken in his draft because of his talent and from what I have seen, 5,000 yards in a season later, that physical talent has not diminished. Thank goodness we have a chance to see if he can fit into the future of the New Orleans Saints. We have the coaches and support personnel who are well-qualified to make that determination.

I mean, of course fumbles and other negative plays should matter.

Why do you think that is ā€œmoving the goal postsā€? Thatā€™s ridiculous.

He is absolutely a ā€œflawed quarterbackā€, thatā€™s why heā€™s in this situation (as a Saints backup), but I donā€™t think anyone has said that he is ā€œbeyond repairā€. Letā€™s not go inventing narratives.

But his personal conduct, costly mistakes and negative plays absolutely go beyond ā€œsome goofy thingsā€. He has some serious work to do, but that doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t (or isnā€™t in the process of) do what is needed and improve.

You took a general narrative about his ints last year and applied it to me. Completely unfair. I never set ints as his goal post. I have consistently said he is mistake-prone in general. The coaches and GMs agree based on his offseason.

You are still comparing him to Peyton even though I pointed out a clear flaw in those statistics. Address the flaw before you repeat the same argument. Peyton was a top 10 QB in the league in his first 5 years. Jameis was a bottom 10 QB during his time. That is a comparison to his peer's statistics during the same time period. It's more reasonable than comparing statistics almost 2 decades apart.

I have not held his "goofy" things against him. They are concerns to me but I'm not going to evaluate him as a QB because of them. I also think those type of things tend to fade as these young men mature. Most signs point to those things being a non-issue in the future imo.

Don't pin me as saying Jameis can't be good either. I simply don't know the answer to that. The only thing I'm pointing out is that he lost his job for a reason.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom