How we can fix Jameis (1 Viewer)

Actually if you compare Trubiskys 2018 season to early 2000s he would have been a top 3 qb most years. Even his slump year he would've been right outside top 10. This year his ratings would have been back as a top 10 qb, for early 2000 standards. Should we try to get him in the off-season? lol

Instead of comparing him to a young Brady how about we compare him to a 43 year old Brady, who definitely looked like he declined last year. He was getting same criticisms as Brees, about how his wideouts had to be college open in order for him to take a shot, instead of the tight windows they were accustomed to seeing him throw into. He's on pace for 4400 yards 38 TDs 12 interceptions. It's almost the same damn team. Yea Winston had 5000 yards but it's alot of garbage time stats and trying to dig the team out of the hole he put them in.
The bolded narrative is kinda played out and not backed up by advanced stats my man. Jameis was actually among the leaders in the NFL with the lowest garbage time yards, especially as in regards to the amount of yards he has thrown. I think only like 400 or so yards could be counted as garbage time stats. Did he make mistakes? For sure but even with those kicking and defense cost them like 4 games. And that 30/30 BS wouldn't have happened if if his kicker didn't miss a those XPs/Field Goals to cause the game to go to OT, where the pass was tipped at the LoS and we know the rest.

And pacing is a crazy thing; how many yards and touchdowns was he on pace to have last season before falling off a cliff statistically?

We can say that it is the same team but the offensive scheme is far from it. This is far from the offense that Arian's had Jameis running last year. Dinking and dunking was non existent in the offense last year and majority of the routes were on 5 - 7 step drops, not to mention that route options were still there and on longer routes. Tape backs all of this up.

I'm trying to get the facts straight about Jameis's past. That and nothing more. Yet I feel like I have to defend my self from generalizations. Its a common theme with any subject.

- I do not know if he can play better in the future or not (ie. is he fixable)
- Im not against him staying. If there is a chance he can eliminate his errors then I'd like to see Payton work with him. I don't think the cap makes it likely though
- Teddy is awesome. I wish he could be our 2021 QB. He's not a HoFer or anything but he would have been perfect for this team. Unfortunately the timing was just off. I was all for Teddy over Taysom when Brees went out.
We are in a wait and see on this one. Time will tell but I know who the same thing could have been said about before coming to NO and now he is a first ballot. Just saying

Jameis had 30 interceptions in 2019, with 5109 yards passing and 33 touchdowns(also 47 sacks and who knows how many hits) and he is being branded as damaged goods, a horrible decision-maker, unable to digest the complexities of the quarterback position or something, I don't know what. Based on that fact, he is not worth a second look and the Saints should look elsewhere for the future.

Well, it turns out that when you look at quarterbacks that have done pretty good in the past who sufferred similar single-season interceptions, there are some pretty good players that made that list. And, this is not a complete list.

Single-season interceptions in parenthasis:

George Blanda(42), Vinny Testaverdie(35), John Hadl(32), Fran Tarkenton(32), Jim Hart(30), Ken Stabler(30), Brett Favre (29), PEYTON MANNING(28), Joe Namath(28), Y A Tittle(28), Eli Manning(27) ---- I assume some of those were less than 16 game seasons.

So, it seems to me that Jameis is in pretty good company, though only one on that list was able to join him in the 5000 yard club(Peyton).

Makes you wonder???
You're reaching pretty far back there lol. The few modern qbs on that list - Eli and he's been up and down his entire career. Winston's season isn't an anomaly, he's been top 5 in interceptions every single year besides one year he had 11 picks in 13 games. In 2018 he only played 9 games and was on pace for 25 picks. You also list Favre whose career spanned 2 decades, who was known for being careless with the ball, played in the 90's and early 2000's where the rules didn't benefit offenses like they do now, yet still didn't throw as many interceptions as Winston until he was late 30's when there was a noticeable decrease in arm strength. Peyton threw those interceptions his very first rookie year in 1998 and improved the very next year. Also like everyone keeps mentioning, football was different during that period. Pretty much every team had double digit interceptions. In 1999 the average team was throwing 21 tds to 18 interceptions. In 2019 that number is 25 tds to 12 interceptions
The bolded narrative is kinda played out and not backed up by advanced stats my man. Jameis was actually among the leaders in the NFL with the lowest garbage time yards, especially as in regards to the amount of yards he has thrown. I think only like 400 or so yards could be counted as garbage time stats. Did he make mistakes? For sure but even with those kicking and defense cost them like 4 games. And that 30/30 BS wouldn't have happened if if his kicker didn't miss a those XPs/Field Goals to cause the game to go to OT, where the pass was tipped at the LoS and we know the rest.

And pacing is a crazy thing; how many yards and touchdowns was he on pace to have last season before falling off a cliff statistically?

We can say that it is the same team but the offensive scheme is far from it. This is far from the offense that Arian's had Jameis running last year. Dinking and dunking was non existent in the offense last year and majority of the routes were on 5 - 7 step drops, not to mention that route options were still there and on longer routes. Tape backs all of this up.

We are in a wait and see on this one. Time will tell but I know who the same thing could have been said about before coming to NO and now he is a first ballot. Just saying
I stand corrected but when I looked it up 400 yards was enough to put enough to put him in top 10 for garbage time yards. Are you just going to ignore he put his teams in holes? Did you ever stop to think that there was a reason Arians implemented this type of offense for him? and a different one for Brady? Most of his interceptions came on short to intermediate routes. He struggles with a clean pocket, his best work came from scrambling and extending plays. A 36 year old Palmer was able to run the same offense 10x better. He didn't throw 21 picks on short to intermediate passes and he completed 81 deep passes with 63 percent accuracy, compared to Winston who attempted 84 and completed 31. He threw 4600 yards 35 tds to 11 interceptions, add 400 garbage time yards thats a 5k year. Your argument would hold more weight if he actually threw a majority of his interceptions on deep routes, as was the case with Palmer during his tenure with the Cardinals.

Last edited:
I stand corrected but when I looked it up 400 yards was enough to put enough to put him in top 10 for garbage time yards. Are you just going to ignore he put his teams in holes? Did you ever stop to think that there was a reason Arians implemented this type of offense for him? and a different one for Brady? Most of his interceptions came on short to intermediate routes. He struggles with a clean pocket, his best work came from scrambling and extending plays. A 36 year old Palmer was able to run the same offense 10x better. He didn't throw 21 picks on short to intermediate passes and he completed 81 deep passes with 63 percent accuracy, compared to Winston who attempted 84 and completed 31. He threw 4600 yards 35 tds to 11 interceptions, add 400 garbage time yards thats a 5k year. Your argument would hold more weight if he actually threw a majority of his interceptions on deep routes, as was the case with Palmer during his tenure with the Cardinals.
Those same 400 yards compared to his total yardage (percentage) puts him closer to the bottom. I think he is actually among the lowest for those that registered any stats considered garbage time. I believe only 8% of his total yards were considered garbage time stats. Now compare that percentage to others on the list.

And that "holes" argument is just as bad. The Bucs were competitive in majority of their games and if we want to talk about holes that they were put in, we must also talk about how many times there were in the lead going into the 4th quarter. They were rarely down 2 touchdowns last season (their biggest blowout, funny enough, was against us). How many games their defense and kicker failed them?

About his interceptions; .someone did an All-22 look at his interceptions. Interesting results if you want to take a read (and not spout the high level media takes). Just google search "Jameis Winston Interceptions All-22." We are so quick to just say, "30 interceptions, lolz" but context goes a long way. A dude in a season doubles his interception average and common sense would tell us, it might be more to it.

And lastly, both you and I know that is some BS you just threw out there with Carson Palmer. That "did better at 36" was technically his 3rd season in Arian's system. His first season with Arians, he threw for 24 touchdowns against 22 interceptions (career high) while throwing for nearly 900 less yards, not to mention a career high in sacks. My argument holds weight because I'm trying to be as unbiased and factual as possible.

I dunno if their really is a problem with Jameis as much as it was the Bucs.

Tom Brady is barely doing much with that offense, while the offense is talented, they far from disciplined.

Majority of Jameis INTS last year was WR's tipping balls.

Yes he had some bad luck, but if you break down every qb's interceptions you are likely to see the same exact thing. How is it bs to bring up Palmer? other posters defending Winston want to bring up guys like George Blanda playing in the 60's, its only fair to bring up other qbs that played in the system. Palmer still did better his first year, thats a 3.8 interception percentage, compared to 4.8 that Winston had. Carson Palmer averaged a high interception percentage with Cincy and Oakland so you can't simply blame the offense. Winston also has been prone to turning the ball over before Arians. As far as Blanda, the interception percentage in 1962 was 7! So yes Winston's 4.8 is great if you want to compare him to 1960 standards lol. Also career backup Drew Stanton was able to win in the same offense with a lower interception percentage. He actually went from a 4.8 int percentage in Detroit to a 3.2 in Arian's offense. Should we bring him in for a look too? Im sure some of one or two of Stanton's picks was from a tipped ball, its not his fault Arian's didn't develop his potential. He was a 2nd round pick and he's only 36 there's gotta be potential.

Look maybe he develops under Payton, it would take a ton of time and I have many doubts. I didn't have anything against the guy until so many posters started clamoring for him to start over Brees this year which is just absurd. Then I started looking at footage and stats and it doesn't look good.

Yes he had some bad luck, but if you break down every qb's interceptions you are likely to see the same exact thing. How is it bs to bring up Palmer? other posters defending Winston want to bring up guys like George Blanda playing in the 60's, its only fair to bring up other qbs that played in the system. Palmer still did better his first year, thats a 3.8 interception percentage, compared to 4.8 that Winston had. Carson Palmer averaged a high interception percentage with Cincy and Oakland so you can't simply blame the offense. Winston also has been prone to turning the ball over before Arians. As far as Blanda, the interception percentage in 1962 was 7! So yes Winston's 4.8 is great if you want to compare him to 1960 standards lol. Also career backup Drew Stanton was able to win in the same offense with a lower interception percentage. He actually went from a 4.8 int percentage in Detroit to a 3.2 in Arian's offense. Should we bring him in for a look too? Im sure some of one or two of Stanton's picks was from a tipped ball, its not his fault Arian's didn't develop his potential. He was a 2nd round pick and he's only 36 there's gotta be potential.

Look maybe he develops under Payton, it would take a ton of time and I have many doubts. I didn't have anything against the guy until so many posters started clamoring for him to start over Brees this year which is just absurd. Then I started looking at footage and stats and it doesn't look good.
I totally get where you are coming from. As I mentioned before, Big Ben turnovers are comparable to Jameis' since he has been in the league, but a winning team will erase all of that.

I think more people write off Jameis because of the off the field stuff (look at how many people in this thread are talking about "crab legz" when diving into the details, the guy at Publix hooked him up, but hey, whatever for those laughs) than what's actually happening on the field. The team hasn't gotten attention until now, Brady is throwing interceptions and taking sacks more than he normally does.

When you really sit back and look at numbers, his numbers are very similar to Drew's before he got here. A scheme and team dynamics goes a long way into QB play. I'm not saying, start him over Drew by any means, but it would have been nice to get a pre season to see him run the offense.

And I hope footage is more than just a bad highlight here or there (what we got on ESPN, Fox News, etc) and actually look at a few games in its entirety. If you say he put them in the hole, the same credit must be given for them coming back and putting them in position to win the same game. Also, check out the all-22 when you get a chance. Because what we are talking about is the 30 interceptions thrown. No where in the league does anyone bring up dropped ints unless it is talking about Jameis. You've never seen that brought up for anyone else, so I'm not going to bring it up here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom