How we return to prominence (1 Viewer)

DzynRex3hunna

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I think it helps to acknowledge Brees has either started aging or will start aging in the very near future. This doesn't mean drafting a replacement just yet , but it does mean changing the way we use him , reducing his number of throws , rebuilding our offensive attack around a running game , using Brees as a glorified Alex Smith if you will.

If given a dominant running line , a dynamic young back , Brees could play another 6 years and I'm not kidding. That would give us an ample amount of time to find an adequate replacement , and would be the perfect situation you want a young developing QB to come into.

Plus , a running offense , rarely turns over the ball , and tremendously helps the defense. The less the opposition possess the ball , the less points they will score. This is called complimentary football , which we currently have no concept of.

So from here I'd advise

1. Not screwing up our draft positioning with late season heroics.
2. Drafting Leanoard Fornette if available.
3. Spend the rest of the draft finding mauling OL and excellent man coverage DB's

I wouldn't be against drafting Fournette. But I highly doubt it happens.

I just want the monster O-line. Get one piece in FA The other in draft. Or both in FA if they can swing it. A monster O-line opens those holes a reasonable good RB can get 5 yards a run.
Plus it protects Drew.Give Drew time he will pick any D apart.

I just want the monster O-line. Get one piece in FA The other in draft. Or both in FA if they can swing it. A monster O-line opens those holes a reasonable good RB can get 5 yards a run.
Plus it protects Drew.Give Drew time he will pick any D apart.
I totally agree with this...but for this to work there must also be a change in philosophy on offense and Sean Payton is the one who will have to acknowledge this need and emphasize it next season.

Address needs in free agency, draft what you think could be potential future all-pro's in the first 2 or 3 rounds regardless of position, and spend your picks in the later rounds on players you think could develop into contributors.

To rebuild, the first thing you have to do is fill the team with guys that can play. Average guys who can do their job. Not world beaters, but not liabilities. Fill all your holes... Then add depth. This is the stage we are at right now. There's no glaring weaknesses, we have guys that can play. This makes us "average".

The next step is finding some all-pro game-changer types. We have Drew Brees and Cam Jordan. A case could be made for a healthy Armstead and Vaccaro after he serves his suspension. Players that every team you play has to game plan for. We need a few more players like that and they're hard to find.

Add a Von Miller, Sean Lee, JJ Watt, or Luke Kuechly to the team we have right now, and our defense would be scarey. Add an Adrian Peterson, a Gronkowski, or a Julio Jones and our offense would be unstopable.

The other way to build a team that could make a run, is to go all in on both lines. Mediocre skill players look like superstars when you own the line of scrimmage. Look what Dalllas is doing with a rookie QB and a rookie RB... Same last year with Carolina's D-line. We're really just one D-lineman away and will be 2 O-linemen away after this year.

If we hit on just a few more players, we'll compete next season. We're ~that~ close.

So from here I'd advise

1. Not screwing up our draft positioning with late season heroics.
2. Drafting Leanoard Fornette if available.
3. Spend the rest of the draft finding mauling OL and excellent man coverage DB's[/QUOTE]

You do realize that those late season heroics are done by men playing for their livelihood

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom