How would a Jameis Winston extension look with the current salary cap/QB market climate? Potential of Winston/Hill dual threat offense? (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If this was a normal salary cap year with pretty ordinary circumstances in regards to the following year's cap.

Winston would be a no Brainer 3 year 17 million per year with an out after one year. A one year out would essentially mean that at minimum his 1st year cap hit would have to be 17 million give or take how much you're willing to wanna have in dead cap for 2021. Most FA QB at bare minimum are to getting one year fully Gtd. That's fair. Unfortunately, we would have to create a lot of room to fit him.

That’s just not the case this year. We don't know if the cap will rebound next year either. 75 million over the cap and to get underneath by atleast another 12 million would mean you're committed to a rebuild and letting a lot of players go. Payton and Loomis has been very adamant that they aren't going to rebuild till they are forced too. So, they are probably gonna resign and keep as many players as possible. Hide the majority of Winston dead money cap hit some inyear 2 and most of it in year 3 is probably safest bet you can make with a ridiculously amount of cap in 2023 and nice outlook of $220 million in space.

The FA QB market has drastically change since our last FA pick up in 2006 and its really not so kind trying to lowball in a QB starved league. Where as Winston decided fit over financial gain. I think you'll have to give a fair salary for the market of a starting QB which is actually north of 17 million a year. Winston has on record of already being vocal on taking a pay cut to New Orleans. So, I think if NOLA isn't crazy outbid and atleast offer a respectable yearly salary with a little more Gtd. He'll be an easy signing.

This is how I see the ground work for a potential Winston deal without theoritcal cap numbers

4 or 5 years with a +1 void year with a realistic out after 2.5 years as in a post June cut in 2023. Which makes the most sense. He proves it in 2022. You got him on a steal for 4 more years. If he isn't guy and we have to go in a rebuild. You draft a QB and let him sit till he's ready and hold on to Winston till you're able to cut him

In the midst of all this... What about Taysom? Well, if Taysom isn't named the starter and if he a feels a sort of way if are able to sign Winston and those numbers associated with it. I honestly can see him demanding a trade this off season. He still very much view himself as a franchise QB. I can only assume that he's no longer content with just the Swiss army role. Taysom maybe gone in the next of season in free agency to find a starting QB spot. Which I respect. If he can't find suitors. I very much hope to get him back at a playmaker salary north of 12 million plus per year. I really hope none of that actually happens, because there is so much potential with him here.

My vision for the offense for next year is an innovative Taysom and Winston on the field for 90% of the snap with Taysom motion from and to WR/RB/TE/Slot/QB. No more of haulting momentum to put Hill in/taking QB1 out and showing our hand. Attacking a defense in motion transition.

If I can see the Stateline like this every week.. I'll be happy
Winston 22-30 295 yards 3 TDs
Hill 7 carries 64 yards 1TD 5 catches 45 1 TD 2-3 45 yards passing

I think we will enter the next great Era of Payton offense with both Winston and Hill if they can reach their ceiling and use them properly to fit their skill set and really attack defense on motion transition on 3 levels.

Last edited:
I'll comment in depth later, but I don't know if we will pay more than a 2-3 year deal unless we're certain.

I think it’s clear we’re going to draft a QB. Even if it’s Kyle Trask. It’s really the best option. Don’t have to pay him a lot and you can cut him and not take a big cap hit. So far we are linked to showing up at the Senior Bowl and looking at Mac Jones. And taking a look at Trevor Lawrence.

Trade up, get the QB. Save money and groom a guy for the future.
I hope I’m not wrong.

I think it’s clear we’re going to draft a QB. Even if it’s Kyle Trask. It’s really the best option. Don’t have to pay him a lot and you can cut him and not take a big cap hit. So far we are linked to showing up at the Senior Bowl and looking at Mac Jones. And taking a look at Trevor Lawrence.

I hope I’m not wrong.
They are pretty cold on QB prospect at the moment. They only buzz I've heard with the Saints was with Trey Lance and I honestly don't 100% believe it. I think they will have more urgency once Winston fate is clear. Trey Lance would also indicate you probably dump Hill in the longterm, because Lance is a legit dual threat monster.

Trey Lance is so raw. You really can't start him and be guaranteed success. Trask from the general consensus just doesn't have the arm talent and be slotted as a back up QB by a lot. I think his arm is just fine. More worried about his pocket mobility

I'll comment in depth later, but I don't know if we will pay more than a 2-3 year deal unless we're certain.

That’s exactly what the contract is... Just stretched to 5 or 6 years with a lot of ungtd money to fit him under the cap for this year.

You make many good points but with Covid and overall total NFL viewership down the cap rising that fast is dicey at best.

We are obviously going ( I think) sign Winston, we can't take the hit unloading Taysom. So to your point I would like to see a 2 year deal, 15-17 million each and back end the deal with 2 additional void years to keep his cap this year low.

I can't wait to see the 1-2 punch of hill and Winston.

You make many good points but with Covid and overall total NFL viewership down the cap rising that fast is dicey at best.

We are obviously going ( I think) sign Winston, we can't take the hit unloading Taysom. So to your point I would like to see a 2 year deal, 15-17 million each and back end the deal with 2 additional void years to keep his cap this year low.

I can't wait to see the 1-2 punch of hill and Winston.
I think the the cap surge is actually due to the new TV contracts that are gonna Ballon the cap in 2023.

The logic with the longer term Winston is simply in case he out plays his deal. You got 2 more years of rights at a really good price. Even with the longer term deal, you'll still have the flexibility to cut him after 2.5 with minimal hit. I think the worst that could happen is that Winston would probably want a restructure if he does outplay his deal. Which is fair. He should be rewarded.

I hope I’m not wrong.

I think it's quite the opposite. Payton's track record is to not go with a young QB, but to find a youngish veteran and tap into that player's unrealized potential. Getting looks at the incoming rookies is not a bad thing for future considerations or to compare the incoming rookie class to what is available through FA, trades or currently on the roster (Hill and Winston).

However, a QB on a rookie deal does lineup better with the current contracts and players who will be due for new deals.

It'd be nice if whoever faced the Saints didn't know what QB they'd be getting. Sounds like classic Sean Payton

Yeah, I don't see the Saints offering more than a 2-year deal unless someone else comes along with a 5-year deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom