How would you choose to end this season? (1 Viewer)

Which do you go with:

• Total voters
No problem with tanking. It will happen naturally with all the injuries.

The problem with “tanking” is that while it is theoretically better for the team and fans long term, the coaches and players need to succeed now to keep their jobs and get raises.

So...we're bad. Everyone knows this. Sean knows it. We know it. The players know it. And I'm not here trying to cast blame.

While we may not have been the most hopeful with Jameis, it was at least going to be fun, and that's with or without MT. But now.?. Jameis goes down, MT out, Kamara out, Ingram signed and now hurt, Lutz hurt, backups can't even make extra points, Siemian asked to lead the pack, and the list of other injuries goes on and on. I mean, *damn*, THAT is really bad. I've been a fan for a long minute and don't recall it being this bad.

So I've now gotta ask the infamous question: do you intentionally tank the remaining games (as if we could win one if we even tried), or do you continue "playing to win the game"?

In particular, I've got a poll up.

Assuming that YOU could snap your fingers and have only one of the two following scenarios occur, which would you choose:
  1. We tank the remaining games, go 5 - 12 and get a higher draft pick, which is by no means a guarantee of a brighter future, OR
  2. We "play to win the game" and manage to win three more games, keeping us out of the playoffs and losing high draft position in the process.

Win out of course. However, if we miss the playoffs. I would like to at least beat the Failcons, followed by Cowgirls.

Losing is a habit. So is winning. Why would anyone intentionally embrace a bad habit? That's a terminable offense! Furthermore, better draft position doesn't guarantee a better player.

Play to win! If our season is wasted, we should be looking to take every team we play down that hole also. If we can't win the SB this year, ain't nobody we play gonna win it either!
This right here! The team owes it to the fans and the veterans on the team to play to win. Once you've been mathematically eliminated, then maybe you shut some guys down that have been fighting injuries and give some others guys playing time for evaluation, but you still game plan to win.

Let's go out in a blaze of glory. 🎸

:giggles:

Obvious tanking is horrible for team morale. You just can't do it. Players don't care about high draft pick slots because it could be their jobs that are being taken by those rookies. You want the team to play hard with pride. That said, I hope we end up with a decent slot this year, we need more talent on this team and it's been a while since we've had a top 10.
And how many coaches have been talked into tanking, just for them to lose their job? Tanking is one of the worst things in sports and the NFL just need to adopt an NBA/NHL approach of draft position.

No one is tanking, however coach seems to be ok with getting us healthy and ready for next season. And I don’t blame him! If we were 8-3, I’m pretty sure our top 3 players (Kamara, Armstead and Ramczyk) wouldn’t all be on the bench. We have seen Armstead played banged up plenty of times when Brees was playing!

It’s not that Payton is trying to lose, however he seems to be extra cautious since TBH, it’s probably not worth it anyway!

Now let’s go get a drink and beat the Cowboys!

And how many coaches have been talked into tanking, just for them to lose their job? Tanking is one of the worst things in sports and the NFL just need to adopt an NBA/NHL approach of draft position.
Not to mention, after the first pick the Super Bowl winner picks one pick ahead of the worst team the rest of the way. The reward for being the worst team is literally just ONE premium pick, who may or may not turn out to be any good.

It's much better to create a culture that expects to win and despises losing, even with the odds stacked against them, than a culture that is okay with losing and is always looking to find a savior in the draft.

Play to win the every game with the players that are available, but don't rush anyone back from injury. AK, in particular, should maybe be shut down for the year if we lose this Cowboys game.

Play to win.. players don't go to teams in free agency that can't meet bonuses.

You know something? I have such low expectations for this season, it's been kind of nice. I watched the entire debacle against the Bills with my Dad, and we were just chilling and joking the whole time. No blown expectations, no being buried in letdowns, just "Hey, the Saints are playing, neat." :)

The 2022 Saints are already a better team whether we tank or win out

It’s hard to be this snakebit by injuries two years in a row

And despite the injuries the Bills game was the only one we weren’t competitive in

We were 5-2 (should have been 6-1, never should have lost the Giants game)

Why make a false dichotomy argument? If we squeak out a win or two the next two weeks and then get healthy, the back end of our schedule is not overly difficult. Playoffs are still not out of reach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom