How would you feel is the Team made a move for Watson? (1 Viewer)

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He is not happy with his contract and it looks like the Texans will be picking up his 5th year option. At this point the Saints aren't looking in the market for a QB but lets say Deshaun Watson expresses a desire to leave the Texans, and publicly stated that he would love to play in a Saints type system. Do you think the team would make a move for him, and if so, how do you think his skill set would translate in our system. Of course this is all hypothetical and speculative. How would you feel if we acquired him?

There are two things to consider:

1. The REAL, and...

2. The IDEAL.

The ideal is filled with a lot of "what if" scenarios. Fun to think about, and certainly generates talk on a discussion board.

However, most of us live in "REALVILLE," and are prone to think about shoring up the depth in other positions that are more likely to have a NEXT-MAN-UP situation.

Watson would be a real great addition. However, even if you could, you risk a lot of drama between him and Jameis (who took a big pay cut to have a shot at being a possible heir apparent to Drew).

Just my :tpenny:

:gosaints:

Call me crazy but I remember a time when Jameis was just as sought as Watson. More sought after than Wentz and Mahomes. Now obviously we know how that turned out...

But maybe the kid isn't done after all. Maybe similar to brees situation when he but that black and gold helmet on , its just getting started for him.

This can definitely be said about Watson, be hasn't come close to reaching his cieling. Watson realizes with O'Brien he never will. Things are going to get ugly down the road if O'Brien isn't let go.

A lot can change between now and the start of the offseason in 2021. If Watson is on the market, I believe we have to take a chance. If not, New England will.

I may be in a serious minority here, but the Saints' offense is predicated on quicker and shorter passing routes and not the downfield vertical game. Watson tends to hold onto the ball too long, as the number of times he's been sacked bears out.

If Payton could drum that out of him, then YES.

I may be in a serious minority here, but the Saints' offense is predicated on quicker and shorter passing routes and not the downfield vertical game. Watson tends to hold onto the ball too long, as the number of times he's been sacked bears out.

If Payton could drum that out of him, then YES.
Our current offensive strategy is predicated upon our aging future HOF quarterback and emphasizing his current strengths. Coach has shown his offense can be just as effective with a big arm'd quarterback if need be. The Texans offensive line struggled in '17 and '18, and then improved with the addition of Tunsil in '19 so I think pass protection was an issue for Watson too.

If you can get a shot at acquiring Watson, you have to go for it. He was the next big thing until Mahomes and Lamar showed up. He still has the skills and potential to be better than those guys, especially in a Saints type of situation.
He's does not have the skill to be better than Mahomes.

If you can get a shot at acquiring Watson, you have to go for it. He was the next big thing until Mahomes and Lamar showed up. He still has the skills and potential to be better than those guys, especially in a Saints type of situation.

I agree with this sentiment. If you have the chance to acquire Watson, you do it. He's going to be a top 5 qb (some could argue he's top 5 now) for many years to come, and you don't pass on any opportunity for that. It extends our championship window by a decade, and I would like our chances to win multiple championships with him at QB.

With that being said, it is very unlikely that Watson gets traded by the Texans.

At this point I'd mostly feel like we didn't have any coherent plan ...

I love Watson, but I don't know if he's clutch. Not saying he isn't clutch, just saying I don't know. I've seen him make beautiful drives, and not finish them. My sample size is way too small to make that call.

I think a lot of that will depend on how Winston matures mentally and mechanically this year. Winston has all the physical ability of Watson and May be a better pocket passer. I also think Winston would be cheaper, salary and not having to trade a player or draft pick.

Next year we will be in the same boat we were this year. All 3 QB’s will be FA’s. I can see us keeping the cheaper of Taysom/Winston and drafting a QB to keep the cap down and using that money to extend key players like Ram, Lattimore, AK, Demario Davis, Rankins, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom