How would you feel is the Team made a move for Watson? (1 Viewer)

It won't go that far. Watson can apply pressure to drive down the price, poisoning the Texans as a destination for other free agents. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it's not that cut and dry. There are other dynamics that can work against them if Watson wants out bad enough.

Now, people might say that also poisons Watson. I disagree. Other teams know what's up.
Kirk Cousins in Washington is probably your best comparator for how these things can play out. The quality of player may be different, but the ability of stubborn ownership to double down and keep the player without a long term deal is directly comparable.

I think people are hoping Watson can force a way out to fill our perceived future need. History seems to suggest it will go otherwise.

Kirk Cousins in Washington is probably your best comparator for how these things can play out. The quality of player may be different, but the ability of stubborn ownership to double down and keep the player without a long term deal is directly comparable.

I think people are hoping Watson can force a way out to fill our perceived future need. History seems to suggest it will go otherwise.

And Cousins wasn’t able to force a trade. He played out the path I laid out which would keep Watson in Houston for four more years.

I understand with what you're saying, but that's exactly why I feel it could lead to a trade. Washington received nothing in return for Cousins. I feel like the free agents they attracted were middle of the road. How the Redskins handled Cousins should serve as a cautionary tale of what not to do. Ultimately what it's going to come down to is the GM for the Texans. If they make a change in the next couple years, that allows for a new GM to come in and reassure Watson, serving as a "reset" to allow the new GM to try and build the team Watson feels supports his talents. If the current GM remains, that could signal something different to Watson and/or O'Brien simply makes another ill-advised move.

Plenty of GMs have made dumb moves for dumb reasons, ego among them...

I understand with what you're saying, but that's exactly why I feel it could lead to a trade. Washington received nothing in return for Cousins. I feel like the free agents they attracted were middle of the road. How the Redskins handled Cousins should serve as a cautionary tale of what not to do. Ultimately what it's going to come down to is the GM for the Texans. If they make a change in the next couple years, that allows for a new GM to come in and reassure Watson, serving as a "reset" to allow the new GM to try and build the team Watson feels supports his talents. If the current GM remains, that could signal something different to Watson and/or O'Brien simply makes another ill-advised move.

Well put. The Skins are the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL. They had a good personnel guy (McGloughan) who started to build their roster and clashed with Bruce Allen because he wanted to sign Cousins to a long term deal in 2016 and Allen didn't....They wound up paying him huge money (over $40 mil for 2 years) and then got nothing for him when he left for FA....They could not have screwed themselves worse...

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I understand with what you're saying, but that's exactly why I feel it could lead to a trade. Washington received nothing in return for Cousins. I feel like the free agents they attracted were middle of the road. How the Redskins handled Cousins should serve as a cautionary tale of what not to do.

And there's the rub. Regardless of cautionary tales, GMs can and will continue to make dumb moves. (Although in this case, letting Watson go would actually be the dumb move, you don't let true franchise QBs go). They can and will double down and keep him there.

(Also, Washington got their comp pick for Cousins, the highest available that year.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: MLU
And there's the rub. Regardless of cautionary tales, GMs can and will continue to make dumb moves. (Although in this case, letting Watson go would actually be the dumb move, you don't let true franchise QBs go). They can and will double down and keep him there.

(Also, Washington got their comp pick for Cousins, the highest available that year.)
Hey, it worked when the Saints landed Brees. A blueprint has been made clear. Lol

You mean Miami's doctors, right?
No, dumb GM in San Diego for drafting Eli to trade for Rivers and letting Brees walk without getting anything in return. They could have had Brees and Larry Fitzgerald for a decade.

You're not getting your dream outcome here. Watson stays put.
Which I have clearly acknowledged before...

No, dumb GM in San Diego for drafting Eli to trade for Rivers and letting Brees walk without getting anything in return. They could have had Brees and Larry Fitzgerald for a decade.

Brees hadn't played well enough early on his career (Flutie replaced him midseason) and so the team looked elsewhere, armed with a high pick in the first. Then of course Brees bounced back (thanks to a Phillips holdout) and they had two franchise QBs on the books, one of whose contract was ending, not to mention a serious shoulder injury, while the other was young, healthy and signed for years to come. It wasn't that dumb a move, given the replacement guy was hardly Jim Druckenmiller. And of course we benefited massively, so I'll always look on it kindly.

Meanwhile, Houston don't have two franchise QBs and have no reason to let this one go, while they have all the leverage for the next four years.

Which I have clearly acknowledged before...
Did you? Clearly I missed it, my bad.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom