How would you rate this year draft? (1 Viewer)

Pass rushing end
CB
Guard
Coverage linebacker

In that order

Guard might need an asterisk. What with Turner and Young. Could not need any guards. Could. But luckily there's are three guys I like a lot there, so could be a big BPA acquisition. And my 3rd favorite prospect, in our range, is a coverage backer. But I'm pretty much exactly in agreement.

As for the draft, I say there's four absolute beasts who I can't see failing at the top of the draft at different positions. And I can't remember liking a class of pass rushers, cornerbacks, or tight ends this much. And they are seeded all over the draft.

I give it an A overall. Like a 93. Awesome at the top, strong throughout.

Guard might need an asterisk. What with Turner and Young. Could not need any guards. Could. But luckily there's are three guys I like a lot there, so could be a big BPA acquisition. And my 3rd favorite prospect, in our range, is a coverage backer. But I'm pretty much exactly in agreement.

As for the draft, I say there's four absolute beasts who I can't see failing at the top of the draft at different positions. And I can't remember liking a class of pass rushers, cornerbacks, or tight ends this much. And they are seeded all over the draft.

This draft really, really matches up well with the team's needs. Add that in with the fact that there are a few more free agent dollars to spend, and it's not hard to see the Saints having a very successful "business season" in 2017.

I think we had a great draft. Getting that many starters in the same draft is almost rare league wide.

We need: (roughly in order)

Edge rusher
QB
ILB
G
S
Joker

2016 Draft gets an A+
Three 1st round talents that look like the absolute best at their positions. Some may say that we didn't take a DE, but what pass rusher that was available when we drafted made a splash this season? I don't see one. Matter of fact, I'm glad we passed on this position now that it's all said and done. Kikaha wasn't injured when we drafted, neither was Gwacham. Michael Thomas shut up the Boo-birds and Bell can start for us for years to come.

2017 Draft we need another A+
Not gonna choose specific positions because I think last draft proved that BPA is the way to go every single time. Much depends on who we re-sign and who we pick up in FA. Best case scenario we go into the draft having made our roster better in FA and get to take potential future all-pro types regardless of position. IMO, that's how you make your team better at a time of year that everybody is trying to make their team better.

Needs...
Well, since we didn't send anybody to the probowl (bad example), a case could be made that we could use an upgrade at almost every position except LT, LG, C, QB, LDE, DT, SS, P, K. Somewhere along the line we need to pick up a RDE and another LB or 2. CBs are less of a need but if we find a potential lock down guy, we should take him. Sat Back and TE are luxuries, but again, if the right guy comes along... The right side of our O-line is old now. Even if Streif and Jahari have another year in them, we need to address this soon. Of course it's possible that Young and Turner are the ones. Jack Allen might be a future stalwart at C. Only the coaches know this. I'm not even going to touch the QB question...

Exactly how I feel. Very strong and deep class at edge rusher amd corner. This corner back class is the best i can remember in a long long time, there's like 7 first round talents at cb this year its sick.

Right now im hoping we get Tim Williams in the 1st and a stud cb in the 2nd, maybe Humphrey or adoree Jackson.

I remember how many thought they were crazy to trade picks to move back up into the second for Von Bell and the 4th for Onyemata. These were great moves. How often do you get 3 starters in the draft. Plus 2 good backups.
A+++ for 2016.
They waited for someone in their group of 2nd and 4th round players to drop and then made a deal.
Like others have said not sure what the coaches think of the young O-line players. FA may be the way to go there.
If they traded back up into the 2nd for someone is be ok with it.
I think they can get get at least 1 or 2 difference makers in FA. Leaving the draft more open for BPA.

Exactly how I feel. Very strong and deep class at edge rusher amd corner. This corner back class is the best i can remember in a long long time, there's like 7 first round talents at cb this year its sick.

Right now im hoping we get Tim Williams in the 1st and a stud cb in the 2nd, maybe Humphrey or adoree Jackson.

Tim Williams and Adoree Jackson would be perfect. Can't get any better than that IMO. Tre White would be solid in the 2nd if Jackson is gone.

Maybe TJ Watt or Beckwith in the 3rd. Or Taylor Moton if he is still there.

i'd grade the last draft as an a-. Thomas has all the makings of a star. Rankins and bell should turn out to be solid, maybe even slightly better than that. Hit on the first three rounds every year and your in good shape. get a few out of nowhere gems in the later rounds every once in a while and its jackpot time. They still need to get someone who can apply heat in short order in the front four/linebacker dept. Way to many third and LONG conversions given up by the d.

I'd say CB is more important than passrusher at this point. Cam Jordan has maxed out at 12.5 sacks when he had an elite secondary. That very good passrush potential. In the years since 2013 Cam has sniffed 10 sacks once. During that span the secondary has been mediocre to ok.

Breaux is a #2 CB so essentially since 2013 we've been playing with an average/below average secondary. Meanwhile Cam's sack #'s have been average to good. You get a #1 CB you get a better passrush all around.

Adding 1 CB and the secondary has a chance to be as good as 2013. Breaux, Byrd, Bell, Vaccaro, Harper, Moore, Williams - Add a name like Haden to that and it puts it on par with the 2013 group which then gives the closest thing we have to JJ Watt a chance to wreck shop.

Don't need an elite everydown RDE just a good speed rusher

CB
OL - Guard/RT
Joker RB
LB
DE

Haden - CB - Trade 4th rounder or Conditional 6th that can become a 5th.
Reggie - Joker RB
Zeitler - OG
Zach Cunningham- LB - 1st
Harrold Landy/Tyquan Harris/Dejuane Smott - DE -2nd
Dion Dawkins - RT - 3rd

Would upgrade all weak points.

I'd say CB is more important than passrusher at this point. Cam Jordan has maxed out at 12.5 sacks when he had an elite secondary. That very good passrush potential. In the years since 2013 Cam has sniffed 10 sacks once. During that span the secondary has been mediocre to ok.

Breaux is a #2 CB so essentially since 2013 we've been playing with an average/below average secondary. Meanwhile Cam's sack #'s have been average to good. You get a #1 CB you get a better passrush all around.

Adding 1 CB and the secondary has a chance to be as good as 2013. Breaux, Byrd, Bell, Vaccaro, Harper, Moore, Williams - Add a name like Haden to that and it puts it on par with the 2013 group which then gives the closest thing we have to JJ Watt a chance to wreck shop.

Don't need an elite everydown RDE just a good speed rusher

CB
OL - Guard/RT
Joker RB
LB
DE

Haden - CB - Trade 4th rounder or Conditional 6th that can become a 5th.
Reggie - Joker RB
Zeitler - OG
Zach Cunningham- LB - 1st
Harrold Landy/Tyquan Harris/Dejuane Smott - DE -2nd
Dion Dawkins - RT - 3rd

Would upgrade all weak points.

Reuben Foster in the 1st and Tanoh Kpassagnon in the 2nd and I'd like it.

Trumaine Johnson instead of Joe Haden would be awesome too.

Trumaine Johnson - CB
Kevin Zeitler - OG
Tim Williams - DE or Reuben Foster - LB - 1st
Adoree Jackson - CB or Tanoh Kpassagnon - DE - 2nd
Dion Dawkins - RT - 3rd

Reuben Foster in the 1st and Tanoh Kpassagnon in the 2nd and I'd like it.

Trumaine Johnson instead of Joe Haden would be awesome too.

I'd be fine with Foster or Cunningham. From things I've read Cunningham takes things from the class to the field very well. Foster to me at the moment is just riding the Alabama wave. If you are a LB for Alabama you are going to get hyped up. It's a given every year around this time. With that being said I still like his striking ability but based on how Allen likes to use his WLB (Coverage/Blitzing/Run stopping) it makes me think that a 6'4 230 prospect with length fits more than a 6'1 230 prospect. Also the one thing I've noted about Cunningham is man that kid takes on blockers well. Better than even Foster. If you are playing a scheme that allows your RDE to kind of just go, having a WLB that can take on a blocker that gets up to the 2nd level and still make the tackle is a need and I'd say that Cunningham does that VERY VERY well.

Trumaine Johnson would be a good fit BUT I'd like to keep our FA spending to a minimum of 1 big fish for at least another year and to me Roushar is the coach of the year with Aaron Glenn coming in a very close 2nd. Thats why I'd make the G from the Bengals my prime objective because its a can't miss based on coaching grades/position. It's interior oline and those guys are usually safe gets, Roushar is a damn good coach and should make that transition easier, and the max amount on a contract likely isn't going to be as high as a tackle OR a CB.

Trumaine Johnson is going to command money, lots of it based on size/speed/production. At least with Haden you can get him for cheap and also get him to restructure his contract much like we did Ellerbe when we traded for him.

Haven't read/seen much about the Tanoh kid but I'd be looking for a speed threat at DE and not an all arounder(would just keep Kruger as the base RDE with a young sub to serve as insurance for Kikaha)

Trumaine is looking for his 1st big contract. No telling how those guys respond to getting money. Haden at least is coming in motivated, and has some background with Aaron Glenn and again will allow you to save money via a restructure based on his injury list. The risk doesn't need to be that high with Johnson either because I think PJ Williams could play opposite Breaux and do well. So there's still a chance he could develop bearing health and you also have Crawley too.

Edit: I'd also like to add this works even better if Haden is cut next year. He'll likely beeline for us and we should be able to get him at a discount too because he'd be on his 3rd contract and not his 2nd and also motivated.

SP has talked at length about how getting a roster together is about finding the right group of motivated guys. It's why I'm high on bringing Reggie back next year because I think he's motivated to show he still has something to offer this game, and Haden more than anything is likely motivated to start winning.

I think there's 3 elite pass rusher prospects (Garrett, Barnett, Williams) and a deep crop of CBs, which is insanely appealing for NO.

Offensive line is weak. Hopefully that's addressed in free agency.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom