How would you rate this year draft? (2 Viewers)

RaginSaint93

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
And what are we still missing to be contenders again

A pass rusher.............another solid corner and a couple of stud offensive linemen.

As far as this years draft I think they hit another HR,...........Rankins, Bell, Thomas and Omenyata have all contributed and played really well.................I'm happy with them!!

We need another corner

What we are missing is a stud pass rusher to put opposite Cam, a good RG, a good satellite RB and a beast LB. I feel like we're fine at CB when everyone is healthy, unfortunately ours are always out with injury.

I say sign a stud RG, DE and CB in free agency.
Resign Fairley.
Draft the best LB you can in round one. Probably picking too late to get Foster, so Cunningham is my next favorite target. In round two go after an elite satellite RB like McCaffrey or Kamara. Draft another pass rusher and OL in rounds 3 and 4. From there go BPA, regardless of position.

I think the talent in this class is average, but strong at RB and pass rushers.

Pass rushing end
CB
Guard
Coverage linebacker

In that order

This year's draft: I think there are 3 rounds worth of 1-2 round talent. Would be nice if we could pull off some kind of trade to get us an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

What we are missing: This one is tough for me due to not knowing how the front office feels about different players and injuries. I think RG is a must. RE, OLB, and #2 CB are the biggest question marks for me. Return man, joker RB, and TE would also be nice. We'll need a RT to replace Strief at some point but they might choose to wait another year. Of course a RT/RG (RG version of Peat) would be ideal, but I don't know if we can find a guy like that.

Pass rushing end
CB
Guard
Coverage linebacker

In that order

Don't see how you can leave RE out. I know y'all say it's not a crucial position in DA's defense, but we are starting Paul Kruger and I've lost count on Kikaha's ACL tears. Part of the argument for not needing one is why I think we need one. They get a lot of one on one match ups. If we could get a playmaker in that spot, they would be in a perfect situation to dominate. Think Vic Beasley this year. Just my opinion though.

And I know Beasley is playing SLB. I'm just talking about being in a position to have great match ups and get a lot of sacks.

Don't see how you can leave RE out. I know y'all say it's not a crucial position in DA's defense, but we are starting Paul Kruger and I've lost count on Kikaha's ACL tears. Part of the argument for not needing one is why I think we need one. They get a lot of one on one match ups. If we could get a playmaker in that spot, they would be in a perfect situation to dominate. Think Vic Beasley this year. Just my opinion though.

And I know Beasley is playing SLB. I'm just talking about being in a position to have great match ups and get a lot of sacks.

I didn't leave it out, i had it as my first need.

Draft looks a bit top heavy to me. No real superstar QB's means the top defenders (which you would like to see fall) will be chosen early.

Offensively, QB and WR is way down this draft class. RB is way up. OL is about average.

Defensively, great year for corners and safeties, super deep. Great year for LB's as well. DL looks average.

Tons of options for the Saints in the 1st round. Guard (Quenton Nelson, Cam Robinson), running back (Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook), defensive end (Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, Tim Williams), linebacker (Zach Cunningham, Reuben Foster), corner(Adoree Jackson), and even safety (Jamal Adams, Jabrill Peppers) could be great selections.

C. Very bad year for quarterbacks and offensive linemen. Very good for cornerbacks. Seems average at the other positions. Teams will find as always good players in rounds 2 and 3. But at the top of the first round, only three very highly graded players, and QBs will be overdrafted.

And if this OP's question was a grade for the Saints' 2016 draft, A. I do not like trading up, and we did it twice. But this draft produced three first-year starters and all five produced. Any draft that yields two to three future core players and three to four future starters is a great draft. However, the grade for the 2015 draft is a different matter.

C. Very bad year for quarterbacks and offensive linemen. Very good for cornerbacks. Seems average at the other positions. Teams will find as always good players in rounds 2 and 3. But at the top of the first round, only three very highly graded players, and QBs will be overdrafted.

I agree it's a bad year for Qb's,but some team will always reach for one too early. The Browns also have the 7th overall as well as #1.
They can afford to take a chance on Kizer or Trubisky if they are available at #7. If Chip Kelly is still coaching the Niners,he may go Qb at
#2. The other possibility is Chicago at #4.

The old saying goes that you can't grade a draft until 3 seasons have gone by, but I'd give this year's draft an A- b/c Thomas and Rankins have developed into instant impact players. Thomas has the makings of a superstar. Only 5 picks, which continues the trend of a less than full complement of picks for Loomis/Payton. But Bell also has the ability to become a long-term starter due to his knack for zone coverage. He can play man in certain situations as well. However, he is below average in terms of size for an NFL safety. Onyemata has already played more than I thought he would due to coming out of Canada with so little experience; he could become a regular rotational player on the inside next season. Lasco contributed on ST early this season, but then spent most of the second half of the season on the bench due to injuries. He doesn't have great power or speed, but he does have a decisive first cut. If he can stay healthy, he could become a ST stalwart for us, although I don't expect him to become a big piece of the run game.

We desperately need a G and T b/c of the age of Strief and Evans, Armstead's questionable knee, and our lack of O line depth. I would expect us to draft one O lineman and try to acquire another in FA. We still need a pass rushing DE to complement Jordan and another LB. Anthony took a step backward this season, and you can never count on Ellerbe being able to play an entire season. Due to the loss of Lewis and Breaux's injury history, we still need another CB. We have some need at RB, but I think our other needs are too great to spend a high pick here; plus, this is a position where it's possible to find real talent among UDFAs.

Pass rushing end
CB
Guard
Coverage linebacker

In that order

I'd put it in a different order:

Pass Rusher
RG
LB
CB

but I think it is very clear that these 4 spots are the biggest needs on the team. Heck, you can argue that they need 2 Edge rushers, 2 LB's, and 2 CB's if you want.

The holes are clear and they are huge, lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom