How would you realistically improve our OLine? (1 Viewer)

My only issue with this is that 3 TE sets (even 2 TE sets) takes another playmaker off of the field and replaces them with the likes of a Hoo-Man, Josh Hill type. I'd much rather have a competent starting 5 on the OL and be able to keep guys like Thomas and Spiller out there along with the others.

Me too in a perfect world, but we really have what we have now. I am just saying that Payton will find a way for our line to look good. Right now we look soft, weak, slow anyway you wanna describe it. If Armstead is healthy and Peat catches on a bit, I think we will be fine with the proper scheming and a run game that keeps us out of 3rd and longs. I just think the Lelito experiment has failed, I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut infavor of a larger stronger man.

don't know anything about Anthony Davis, but couldn't be any worse than Lelito

Yes we are defending our line. They will get better. Defense always gels faster than offense. We haven't game planned at all yet. Payton is an offensive genius and will devise a scheme to protect Drew. This doesn't mean that we don't want to improve but Leary isn't the answer.

Game planning has nothing to do with what Clowney did to Peat in Pre Season Game 2 or what a 2nd team DT from Pittsburgh did to him in pre season game 3

Do you remember the post game presser with Brees and he is trying to talk through a busted lip and huge bruise on his face last year ?

OL play has been a huge deficiency for us for the last 3 years. We have tried to draft our way out of the jam ( we are 1 for 7 drafting OL - Armstead ) trade in players ( Unger )

But to say it's going to be ok bc we haven't game planned is comical at least or suggestive of a very deep state of denial.

Game planning has nothing to do with what Clowney did to Peat in Pre Season Game 2 or what a 2nd team DT from Pittsburgh did to him in pre season game 3

Do you remember the post game presser with Brees and he is trying to talk through a busted lip and huge bruise on his face last year ?

OL play has been a huge deficiency for us for the last 3 years. We have tried to draft our way out of the jam ( we are 1 for 7 drafting OL - Armstead ) trade in players ( Unger )

But to say it's going to be ok bc we haven't game planned is comical at least or suggestive of a very deep state of denial.

It absolutely does. If it was the regular season your starters wouldn't be practicing and playing at 4 different line positions.

Yes, game planning is essential. You learn who needs to be doubled, who needs help by chipping, if you let the defensive player run around the pocket or jam at the line, have a good WR/TE/RB as a dump off option instead of 3rd stringers starting and camp bodies in the third string positions. Coaching makes all the difference as this isn't college and there isn't enough difference is skill to just go out and 1 on 1 beat your opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait a year or two until we have time and money to solidify it through the draft, free agency, and trades

Streif is fine but will need a replacement in a few years. Peat will be a fine guard until streif is done. Armstead NEEDS to stay healthy and we need to re-sign unger

Davis is the first string RG now with Trent Brown at RT. Davis probably isn't available and would cost a lot since GM loves him and he's in great shape/playing well. Davis definitely marches to his own beat and has been a discipline/social media problem his whole career.

Brandon Thomas is likely available. He's a player who tore his ACL working out for the Saints before 2014 draft. Loomis/Payton probably like him. Marcus martin (been terrible in NFL) is a fellow 2014 3rd rounder likely available via trade. Zane Beadles was taking snaps at center in practice and Kilgore is our starting C.

Davis was 3rd string RT the lay pre season game for the 49ers. Watch the game not a blog depth chart. I'll take a guy who matches to his own best if he protects Brees and turns us into a great OLine. If he has the attitude you say then Kelly sure won't want him so he won't cost as much as you say. He's only 26 and worth a decent draft pick especially with that talent.

The success of Spiller, will play a big role in taking heat off of the line. If he is always a matchup outlet for Brees it will play big in protection and if he can have decent success with the perimeter running game, things will be nowhere near as bad as people think. Two things that no one talks about in regards to protection success from 06-12, and that's Bush and Sproles. We need to emphasize using Spiller more often as an option.

Of course Ingram and Hightower having success pounding the rock up the middle impacts DT's getting push up the middle in passing scenarios as well.

If our tackles can hold the idea of Brees rolling out is an option but not something to use continuously because he'd get creamed if it's predictable. You roll Brees outside and away from interior pressure.

I don't like the idea of getting desperate for line personnel. This is not a chicken little scenario. We have the same lineup as last year, the young lineman have another year of development. We have a healthy Spiller, and our defense will be better this year than it was last year. Our offense was one of the best in the league last year and Brees didn't have the outlet he is used to having his entire career.

John Sigler on Twitter posted this that I found helpful, didn't see it posted anywhere here.

His Twitter is @JSiglerNFL

Turner is looking like a keeper imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-29-19-17-05-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-29-19-17-05-1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
I definitely think a 3rd or possible 2nd could pull Davis away from the 49ers. It's not like we are getting some over the hill player. We would be getting one of the top young OLineman in the NFL who played LT at an elite level and could be even better at LG for us. He is only 26 years old and took a year off from football which is not concerning to me. Armstead/Davis would arguably be the top LT/LG duo in the NFL for the next 5 years. He isn't a Chip Kelly guy who has already found some very good players before Davis came back. He is a backup and for picks I see no reason why Kelly wouldn't take to rebuild his team.

This changes our season completely by plugging Davis in at LG while letting Peat/Kelemente/Lelito and Strief/Peat find the best combo at RG/RT. I would feel pretty comfortable for the rest off the season while potentially only having to fill the RG position for the next 5+ years if we don't already have that guy on the roster. One position to concentrate on to find the next Nicks/Evans. If not him I would be offering a high draft pick for any stud available. Joe Thomas was almost traded to the Broncos for a 1st round pick but the Broncos turned the Browns down. It definitely does happen.

We had a top 10 line last year. You guys have unrealistic expectations. It's football and quarterbacks get hit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom