How would you realistically improve our OLine? (1 Viewer)

DoMePaTrolleR

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
What would you give up to secure our OLine and for who? Lots of good players can be had but the price could be to high. An example is just a year ago the Broncos were trying to find a LT with Manning having no blind side protection and were discussing a trade with the Browns for Joe Thomas but never got done because the asking price was a 1st round pick. IMO I thought it was a solid move with that possibly being the missing piece for them winning a SB which ultimately happened anyway. I wouldn't give up that much but someone like that would change everything. If it was up to me I make a move now and take advantage of Brees while we have him. Offense is stacked if we can fill that 1 missing piece. Do you wait a year for FA next season? Improve through the draft? Or trade some picks?

IMO we should be on the phones doing what it takes to pull Anthony Davis away from the 49ers. Only 26 years old and was considered one of the best OTs in the NFL just a year ago before he took a year off from football. Davis also has pro bowl ability to play LT if anything happens to Armstead. He would be a Carl Nicks clone for us at 6'5 335 lbs having a perfect build and skill set to transition to OG just as Nicks did. Right now he is a backup on the 49ers with Chip Kelly having already replaced him with his guys. We all know Kelly is willing to trade players who aren't his guys even sending out fan favorite stars with little compensation. IMO Davis is the best player we could realistically get in a trade and wouldn't take crazy compensation to get him. Adding Davis would instantly turn our Oline into a top unit the NFL rivaling the Cowgirls. This would make the competition at RG very good between Peat/Kelemente/Lelito while Peat can also compete with Streif at RT allowing us to put the best combo on the field at the RG/RT position.

Starters - LT-Armstead LG-Davis C-Unger RG-Peat RT-Streif
Backups - LT-Davis OG/C-Kelemente/Lelito/Allen RT-Peat

This group would be one hell of an Oline if you ask me with great depth as well. The LT/LG/C positions would be filled with 3 pro bowl caliber Olineman. Going into next season we would have a need at 1 OG position to address through the draft and compete with Lelito/Kelemente while Peat makes the permanent move to RT.

IMO Davis can definitely be had for a great price and would drastically change this offense protecting Brees. Having 3 positions on the OLine filled by pro bowl talents with 2 decent makes a huge difference instead of having 3 shaky positions having to swap guys around. I would be willing to go as high as a 3rd round pick maybe 2nd depending on who. Davis to me no doubt has talent to command a 1st but not with the question of his commitment to football and knowing he isn't a starter. What would you trade for and give up?

Real simple. Give them time. Why have people on here forgotten the old adage that defense comes around quicker than offense? We always have a solid line under Payton and this year will be no different. They need time to come together as a unit.

People on this board think our line stinks and that Brees should never get hit. That simply isn't realistic. Funny because everyone talks up the Dallas OLINE as the best thing since sliced bread but yet their qb and his backup gets hurt every year.

We just need saints fans to realize that you hope to win more battles than you lose but no one is going to dominate every play. Willie Roaf is the best lineman we have ever had and yet people on here complained about him.

Cut Lelito - no need to keep him even for depth...we've seen enough to know he's not it. Bench Peat, groom him for RT and stop trying to make him a guard.

LT - Armstead
LG - Kelemente
C - Unger
RG - Turner
RT - Strief

Keep Cheeks and Allen as backup T, C. Waiver wire pickup for backup G.

I would trade for Davis in a heartbeat. How high of a pick would we have to give up?

Real simple. Give them time. Why have people on here forgotten the old adage that defense comes around quicker than offense? We always have a solid line under Payton and this year will be no different. They need time to come together as a unit.

People on this board think our line stinks and that Brees should never get hit. That simply isn't realistic. Funny because everyone talks up the Dallas OLINE as the best thing since sliced bread but yet their qb and his backup gets hurt every year.

We just need saints fans to realize that you hope to win more battles than you lose but no one is going to dominate every play. Willie Roaf is the best lineman we have ever had and yet people on here complained about him.

You can't always say we have had a solid line so don't worry about it. That's not how it works. We have some holes and it's obvious. Sure they will get better but that still won't be enough. We need a solid OG to come in that we have no questions about on who will start. Brees needs great protection now not 2 years from now. If it means a slight impact on our future so be it but the SB window with Brees is closing and we need to take advantage of him now. Might as well say our defense will suck because it always does under Payton. I'm always for developing and being patient but right now we do have a problem that if isn't addressed now it will have to be through FA and the draft. If we can upgrade it now you do it.

Yes Dallas no doubt has the best OLine in the NFL. To say their QBs always gets hurt changes nothing. Romo has back issues and that's not his OLines fault. Brees is going to get hit plenty even with a great OLine. Right now it's not about Brees getting hit it's about him having time to actually operate and take advantage of his weapons. For us to actually be able to run the ball. Our OLine isn't terrible but it needs an improvement and 1 stud player would change a lot. Brees doesn't need great weapons to be great but he needs a very good OLine where he can step up in the pocket. His whole game revolves around a very good OLine.

I'm not worried about Peat and believe he will develop. I think he is fine at RG and I think he will be fine at RT if that's where we decide to play him. I don't like him switching back and forth which has made him look worse. I have been saying Peat is only going to get better and I believe he will be a pro bowl RT but right now he isn't. In a year hopefully he takes over as a stud RT and we can draft an OG to compete with Lelito/Kelemente at RG since the other 4 positions are locked down by studs. As Brees ages protection is the #1 priority for him especially since we have surrounded him with great weapons.

Dallas OLINE is so overrated it's not even funny.

I am all for upgrading the line but other teams cast offs aren't the answer. Davis basically walked out on his team last year so why should we trust him.

All this stuff about Leary is a joke. He IS NOT AN UPGRADE.

Once again against Houston Brees got hit three times and 2 were defensive penalties.

Sorry but you obviously didn't get my point about the lines. Because no one on here likes the cowboys (except maybe El Caliente) we don't look at their flaws. People need to stop jumping on the cowboys hype train. If you go to the cowboys forum everyone and their mother hates Doug Free. People are always more critical of their own team because they know them.

This line will be fine. I would like it to be stronger but it is what it is. I guess you guys forget that we have an offensive genius as a head coach. Once Armstead settles back in and the OLINE gels they will be a top 10 unit again.

I'd bring in Vasquez, Paul Fanaika, Grubbs, and Willie Colon. Sign the two that had the best workouts (let them mentor Turner....whom I'm a fan of).Quickly yank Strief out of the starting lineup. Insert Peat at RT, for good, and let him master that position.

I am with you 200% (unless Armstead is out for any extended time)... I guess we'll be fixed by week 5 or 6.

I don't want to see us trading away any future draft picks, unless it's for a bonafide starter and costs us a 5th round pick or later. I am so sick of us trading away our draft picks. I say we replace Lelito with Landon Turner at LG, stop shuffling Peat all over the line and leave him at RG and take our lumps early in the season, so hopefully by midseason, the offensive line is gelling and just good enough to make us a playoff contender.

I don't know much about Anthony Davis, but you sure as hell sold me.

Cut Lelito - no need to keep him even for depth...we've seen enough to know he's not it. Bench Peat, groom him for RT and stop trying to make him a guard.

LT - Armstead
LG - Kelemente
C - Unger
RG - Turner
RT - Strief

Keep Cheeks and Allen as backup T, C. Waiver wire pickup for backup G.

I agree with this outlook in regards to the fact that you have traditional guards their as I think Peat is not the best guard on the team I don't care how inconsistent Lelito and Kelemente may be they are still better options at their natural positions than it is playing a 21 year old tackle at guard.

We don't have to give up anything if we get Vaquez. I don't know why people are so against him.. He was a pro bowl guard that won the SB LAST YEAR!!!

Landon Turner needs to get a long look with the ones. Maybe even Jon Fullington too. Both have played well enough to be given a shot.

One way to alleviate pressure is to get the rhythm and consistency of the screen game going. If Spiller can learn to set up his blocks like Pierre used to and stop going straight for the sideline every freaking time, we may have one answer to the problem. Same goes for the O Linemen getting to their spots on these plays.

When the Saints' screen game is going, our offense can really work miracles. Unfortunately, we haven't seen this type of precision in a while

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom