How would you remove a splinter from under (2 Viewers)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
your fingernail?

Somehow, someway I got one last night. My finger was hurting but I didnt really notice anything, just thought I banged it on something. This morning, it starts throbbing again and i can see a sliver, about 1/8 of an inch, under my fingernail. Wedged between the nail and skin. Will it come out as my nail grows or will I have to dig it out?

1. Don't panic. Though probably by the time you have read this, you have already tried a few things that haven't worked, for next time try not to panic and pull at the splinter (unless plenty of it is showing).
2. Set a $50 bill on the table. 2-20s and a 10 work, but the 50 is best. This is your copay. This, plus 4 hours in an ER, is your motivation.
3. Take a medically appropriate amount of ibuprofen based on the label information. This will help decrease swelling in the area, hopefully making it easier to pull the splinter out.
4. Get a high-quality pair of tweezers. Don't use your fingernails, a knife, a needle, or another sub-par instrument to try to dislodge it. Even if you have to wait for an hour or so to go buy them, get a good pair ($10+ at a drug store).
5. Get out your fingernail clippers.
6. Get in good, bright lighting.
7. Clip the nail back as far as you can, but don't clip through the splinter. To do this, clip on one side of the splinter so that a flap of nail is created (i.e. don't separate the piece from the rest of the nail). Pull this flap across to rip the nail portion that is over the splinter. Once you have cleared the splinter, clip the nail from the other side to remove the piece. Keep doing this until you are all the way to where the skin is attached to the underside of the nail.
8. This should have exposed a bit of the splinter. Get your high-quality tweezers and keeping them open plenty wide to stay on both sides of the splinter, push and wiggle them under the nail as far as you can. Remember that $50 on the table.
9. Close the jaws and pull the splinter out. Keep working at it, unless you are tearing away at the exposed splinter. If this happens, you may want to try to dig at it with a sterilized needle or get a better pair of tweezers.
10. If this isn't working, get some wood or Elmer's glue. Apply a small amount to the head of the splinter and wait for it to soak into the wood and harden. Carefully peel the glue off and pull it straight out. It may pull the splinter out with it.
11. If this does not work, you may have to go to the ER, or, if the pain isn't too great you can let your skin naturally expel it or the fingernail grow out, which will push it out.

Tips

* Throw out inferior tweezers in your First Aid kit right now and get a good pair. You won't just use it to pull out errant hairs. It will be very handy when necessary.
* Resist the urge to dig at the splinter without the right tools. You may just break it off deeper.
* You should sterilize the tweezers, needle, or any other instrument that is going to break the skin. Do this by soaking in Isopropyl Alcohol for 5 minutes.
* It is best to perform this yourself, as another person cannot feel how much discomfort you are in.
* You can temporarily numb the area with Ambisol.

Warnings

* If the splinter is severe or if it contains metal you should seek medical advise about the possibility of complication.
* As with all medical procedures, do not proceed if it is causing severe pain or bleeding.
* Seek medical help if the area becomes infected or bleeding does not stop within a few minutes of extraction.

Things You'll Need

* $50
* Good quality tweezers. Metal with jaws that are stiff and precise.
* Good lighting
* Nail clippers
* Ibuprofen

1. Don't panic. Though probably by the time you have read this, you have already tried a few things that haven't worked, for next time try not to panic and pull at the splinter (unless plenty of it is showing).
2. Set a $100 bill on the table. 4-20s and a 10 work, but the 100 is best. This is your copay. This, plus 4 hours in an ER, is your motivation.
3. Take a medically appropriate amount of ibuprofen based on the label information. This will help decrease swelling in the area, hopefully making it easier to pull the splinter out.
4. Get a high-quality pair of tweezers. Don't use your fingernails, a knife, a needle, or another sub-par instrument to try to dislodge it. Even if you have to wait for an hour or so to go buy them, get a good pair ($10+ at a drug store).
5. Get out your fingernail clippers.
6. Get in good, bright lighting.
7. Clip the nail back as far as you can, but don't clip through the splinter. To do this, clip on one side of the splinter so that a flap of nail is created (i.e. don't separate the piece from the rest of the nail). Pull this flap across to rip the nail portion that is over the splinter. Once you have cleared the splinter, clip the nail from the other side to remove the piece. Keep doing this until you are all the way to where the skin is attached to the underside of the nail.
8. This should have exposed a bit of the splinter. Get your high-quality tweezers and keeping them open plenty wide to stay on both sides of the splinter, push and wiggle them under the nail as far as you can. Remember that $50 on the table.
9. Close the jaws and pull the splinter out. Keep working at it, unless you are tearing away at the exposed splinter. If this happens, you may want to try to dig at it with a sterilized needle or get a better pair of tweezers.
10. If this isn't working, get some wood or Elmer's glue. Apply a small amount to the head of the splinter and wait for it to soak into the wood and harden. Carefully peel the glue off and pull it straight out. It may pull the splinter out with it.
11. If this does not work, you may have to go to the ER, or, if the pain isn't too great you can let your skin naturally expel it or the fingernail grow out, which will push it out.

Tips

* Throw out inferior tweezers in your First Aid kit right now and get a good pair. You won't just use it to pull out errant hairs. It will be very handy when necessary.
* Resist the urge to dig at the splinter without the right tools. You may just break it off deeper.
* You should sterilize the tweezers, needle, or any other instrument that is going to break the skin. Do this by soaking in Isopropyl Alcohol for 5 minutes.
* It is best to perform this yourself, as another person cannot feel how much discomfort you are in.
* You can temporarily numb the area with Ambisol.

Warnings

* If the splinter is severe or if it contains metal you should seek medical advise about the possibility of complication.
* As with all medical procedures, do not proceed if it is causing severe pain or bleeding.
* Seek medical help if the area becomes infected or bleeding does not stop within a few minutes of extraction.

Things You'll Need

* $100
* Good quality tweezers. Metal with jaws that are stiff and precise.
* Good lighting
* Nail clippers
* Ibuprofen

Fixed it for ya....

I will try the Ambesol and needle...I already broke off a part trying to do Tip No.2 (couldnt resist ) Thanks!

i don't see jack daniels on the "things you will need" list :shrug:

Definatly dont leave it in there, it'll end up being a worse situation.

Just grab some twzzers and have at it. Dont squeeze too hard either, you could break the end off and be left with nothing to grab.

dynamite_large.jpg

And don't forget once you've gotten the splinter out, either soak your finger in mild soap water for a few minutes or apply an antiseptic.

Tea Tree Essential Oil for disinfecting and for pain. Pull that bad boy carefully so you don't break it off. Oh, and a shot of Jack.:hihi:

Grab a hammer and hit your nail really hard. You might just hit it with enough force to knock it back out. If it doesn't come out, don't worry. It'll be hurting so bad, you won't think about that splinter anymore :)

update....I tried last night but couldnt do it. the pain was too intense. I have a high threshold for pain, but once the needle pierced the skin just under the nail, it was unbearable. I can CLEARLY see why some torture techniques include bamboo shoots under the nail. I need more than Ambesol, more like anethesia. I will give it a go tonite. but am soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide to "soften" the skin and keep clean.

I think there is an old wives tail that includes something like wrapping the finger in bacon to help pull the splinter closer to the surface. I can't remember exactly what it was and I don't know if it would work - but hey it's bacon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom