Howard Dean, thanks for the election! GOP will be thanking Dean in November. (1 Viewer)

>>Makes absolutely not one bit of sense.

Sure it does IMHO.

TPS

This is a very early prediction that hasn't appeared in the press (not that I've seen anyway) but because you're reading this you get a head's up on everyone else. My prediction is this election is the Dems to lose (weak economy, unpopular war in Iraq, spiraling energy costs, failure during Katrina, etc.) and only lack of leadership and particularly the missteps in MI and FL (stripping them of 100% of their votes, inability to promote a make-up election, failing to take into account the number of delegates in each state) will be the key factors in deciding the election for the GOP.

So are you saying that you think Michigan is going to be in play for the Republicans in November? McCain could run against a crackhead off the street, send every single voter a $100 bill in the mail the week of the election, and promise to force every corporation in America to relocate its headquarters to Flint, Lansing or Detroit and he would still lose there by 3-4 points in November.

Florida already cost the world 8 years of the worst presidency of any of our liftimes on every imaginable issue, policy and screwjob against the American People [tm] - and I don't care what any of you Carter haters say about it because it will only prove that you don't know what you're talking about there either...

TPS

Forget Carter, Steve, you're selling Nixon way short. He screwed up a lot of things, including the economy that was blamed on Carter because the effects of Nixon's actions were slow in coming.

>>Forget Carter, Steve, you're selling Nixon way short. He screwed up a lot of things, including the economy that was blamed on Carter because the effects of Nixon's actions were slow in coming.

It was a product of the times with a vortex that came together at that time. But he still gets the blame from everyone who "claims" to have either lived it or who learned it from "Conservatives" on talk radio even if his conservative principles (specifically re: deregulation) are what economic conservatives scream for. But none of them hold a candle to this Administration. There's literally nothing they're going to go down in history for worth a **** at all. And this is coming from someone who actually likes President Bush. But on every issue from education to energy to military/defense to civil rights to diplomacy to Real [tm] homeland security to infrastructure to everything else, it's what is now referred to on the internets as an "epic fail." President Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush are good people. It ends there. The entire neocon experiment has been a complete distaster. The anti-midas touch has been in full effect, and corporate America and even corporate World have prospered at the American Citizen's expense. It's been a terrible ride, and there isn't much President Bush can do at this point to save himself from the legacy that his staff and appointees have ruined for him. He'll always get a pass with me, but it ends there. The rest of them should be in jail IMHO. Crimes against America. Treason. Selling out the very citizens they are supposed to represent.

:17:

TPS

So are you saying that you think Michigan is going to be in play for the Republicans in November? McCain could run against a crackhead off the street, send every single voter a $100 bill in the mail the week of the election, and promise to force every corporation in America to relocate its headquarters to Flint, Lansing or Detroit and he would still lose there by 3-4 points in November.

Yeah, I doubt the Republicans win Michigan (McCain didn't win Michigan, if you recall) and I doubt Obama wins Florida. I don't see how this is going to be crippling for the Democrats, and it certainly isn't Howard Dean's fault. He could be in the forefront pushing for a redo but that, as we've seen, wouldn't go smoothly either.

The election won't be decided because partisan Democrats are mad about the primary. All of this '20% of Hillary supporters will vote for McCain' talk is bull. Six weeks into the general election that number will be way down (barring some kind of gaffe/scandal).

Steve, I think to judge this man's presidency in the short term is extremely fallible. Usually it takes more time and more history to actually give the man a fair review. I am a historian and many people will probably see Bush in future study as a McCarthyism type, a man who got advice from the wrong sources and from the wrong people and in turn screwed up big time. Reb Saint is an historian and has his own views and maybe he thinks the same way I do at least on this. You cannot judge one president in the span of one short time frame, its tempting I must say, but a good historian knows better. and Steve thats my business even on the very bad presidents.

Now Steve who do I think could do a better job? Well I like Mccain but I think Obama should be given a shot and reasonably its his nomination to lose. the guy is fresh, young, and has some good ideas. I think he could be a good guy to lead this country.

By the time the election rolls around, the fans of the dem that lost will be backing the dem that won. They'll say that they won't, just as Rush and all the other right extremists said they wouldn't back McCain, but once the dust settles, they're hatred for the other party will win over, and the line will be drawn exactly where it was before the schism.

I do agree, though, this race is the Dems to lose and if they lose, the heads of the party will be blamed.

I do agree, though, this race is the Dems to lose and if they lose, the heads of the party will be blamed.

It's actually going to come down to the House and Senate races as far as the "heads of the party" are concerned. If the Dems lose the WH, it will be the losing candidate that gets blamed - Obama in all likelihood.

A plan that doesn't include votes from every state is a bad plan. It's an election for goodness sake. Everyone's vote should count. To try and correct that problem now, only because the presumed leading candidate isn't leading, is second only to the first bad decision.

I hope you're right and the DNC is taking MI for granted. According to the current Rasmussen poll, McCain beats Hillary or Barrack in MI and FL by razor thin margins. I don't doubt Dean is wrong in his current handling of the situation based on the "letter of the law." My experience is that Leadership takes more than simply coloring with greater force within the lines.

btw...this is a super-de-duper cool GE tracking map.

Election 2008: Presidential, Senate and House Races Updated Daily

McCain is going to be just as damaging as any democrat in this country if he has his way. So at this point the damage is already done, and the dems have already won, so to speak.:covermyeyes:

I hope you're right and the DNC is taking MI for granted. According to the current Rasmussen poll, McCain beats Hillary or Barrack in MI and FL by razor thin margins. I don't doubt Dean is wrong in his current handling of the situation based on the "letter of the law." My experience is that Leadership takes more than simply coloring with greater force within the lines.

btw...this is a super-de-duper cool GE tracking map.

Election 2008: Presidential, Senate and House Races Updated Daily
Check out Alabama--63% McCain! Hell yeah mahn

I agree with what you're saying Saintsman, but it's also a shame. President Bush is a decent guy and could have been a better President had he not been in bed with some extreme partisans who distorted his messages and themes from campaign 2000. It's a shame that there isn't much he can do to salvage his reputation with the majority of Americans. He has done so with me because he won the battle for us on the Gulf Coast. But that's about the only saving grace the administration can muster - well that and the leadership he showed immediately after 9/11. Compassionate Conservatism could have found its way as a strong and possibly bulletproof majority had they played their cards right. But some of the advisors were simply too political IMHO.

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom