How'd he get in there?! Help solve the mystery of the drowned mouse (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Bass Manager
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
So this is a first.

I'm vegging out in the tub after getting the kid to bed. My wife complains that the toilet is running and that everything seems to need to be fixed lately. (The house is 8 years old now so I've been having to repair a few things lately) I absently tell her to jiggle the handle and to remove the lid if that doesn't fix it. She screams. Hilarity ensues.

There's a dead mouse in the toilet tank. His tail is keeping the stopper from sealing. The worst part is I swear I heard something a couple of days ago that sounded like a mouse near the toilet. Now I know. :( The best part is that he's been removed and the toilet needs no repairs.

So....how'd he get in there? There's no external evidence around the toilet or house to suggest a mouse. Could he have come up the plumbing somehow?!

OP
OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My money is there was a little gap in the back of the lid and he got in that way. I despise them but at the same time admire their abilities. We live next to woods and me and the mice do battle every fall/winter. We have 2 cats...a lazy indoor cat that catches 1 per year and an outdoor/garage cat that catches at least 1 per day. The garage cat is definitely my favorite and if our house catches on fire he's the first animal I save.
Coyotes moved into the neighborhood and took out a good portion of the stray cats population. Rodent activity is up.

Charlie Brizzown

Used to fish
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My current theory is this...

Somehow the rodent got into the sewerage.

Rodent comes up the pipe and into the toilet bowl.

He can't get out of the toilet bowl so swims up the syphon jet.

Once in the internal space around the rim he made his way to the back of the toilet and up through the flapper valve into the tank.

But I don't think he would have been able to just open the flapper valve against the water pressure above. I think he would have had to wait until it was flushed to make his way up. That means our toilet has had a mouse in it for a bit. Ack! We should probably move.
What’s more likely, you have a Mission Impossible mouse or your wife is playing tricks on you?

Kryptonite

The Hit Squad
Reaction score
Nice usually leave a trail if engaging in regular activity. This appears to be a one off situation which is why I'm a bit perplexed. That said, there's been some recent construction in the area that has upped the visible rodent activity on the block.
Construction in the area is always the culprit. We have construction in my area lately and mouse/mice got into my garage and chewed through some of the wiring for the lights and driver assistance system on my wife's brand new Jeep Rubicon.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nice usually leave a trail if engaging in regular activity. This appears to be a one off situation which is why I'm a bit perplexed. That said, there's been some recent construction in the area that has upped the visible rodent activity on the block.
if the construction had anything at all to do with the sewer lines, this is incredibly so. The average person would be revolted if they knew what the redoing of Bourbon Street did to the surrounding businesses. They came in in such a way that a whole Armada of pest control couldn’t dent the issue.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
if the construction had anything at all to do with the sewer lines, this is incredibly so. The average person would be revolted if they knew what the redoing of Bourbon Street did to the surrounding businesses. They came in in such a way that a whole Armada of pest control couldn’t dent the issue.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
whatever the courtyard bar is directly across from Razoo now is, they dump the ice out of the beer tubs they keep in the courtyard around230 to 3:00am. All the area rats know that this is the place for a refreshing drink at that time. You can see it from the street if you stop and peer through after the bar is closed and if there aren’t 300 of them there isn’t one.

i am aware that there is at least one run on sentence in this thread and after debating it and then also debating the Dong Fong King cake in the kitchen I decided that I trust in you to decipher what I was generally saying because your good like that.

OP
OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
whatever the courtyard bar is directly across from Razoo now is, they dump the ice out of the beer tubs they keep in the courtyard around230 to 3:00am. All the area rats know that this is the place for a refreshing drink at that time. You can see it from the street if you stop and peer through after the bar is closed and if there aren’t 300 of them there isn’t one.

i am aware that there is at least one run on sentence in this thread and after debating it and then also debating the Dong Fong King cake in the kitchen I decided that I trust in you to decipher what I was generally saying because your good like that.
you're

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well that's the thing. It's not like there is anything to climb on to get into the tank from the top. He must have come through a pipe. Crazy!
Toilets don't let things come in through the pipe. Water comes in from the clean supply side. The only way anything gets in there is someone put him there or he climbed up the smooth, porcelain tank and managed to get enough traction to pull himself in there. The only way that mouse is so determined to find water in your toilet is if he was poisoned.

You're lucky you found him.

I bet someone put him there.

OP
OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Toilets don't let things come in through the pipe. Water comes in from the clean supply side. The only way anything gets in there is someone put him there or he climbed up the smooth, porcelain tank and managed to get enough traction to pull himself in there. The only way that mouse is so determined to find water in your toilet is if he was poisoned.

You're lucky you found him.

I bet someone put him there.
Well it's just me, my wife, and my two year old. Poison is possible. I've got some old rat poison still in the attic. But why wouldn't he just go into the bowl then?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom