How's our defense look? (1 Viewer)

I'm failing to see where we are way ahead of last year.

This looked very much like last years preseason. With that said, I'm not going to make a final judgement. But I am very concerned that we yet again lack quality depth because that costs you games when it matters.

The good news is, Jordan and Breaux will make us look better.

The good news is, Jordan will make us look better.

and Breaux, and Armstead and not letting McCown anywhere near the football on gameday.

Actually I thought we had quality depth at defense considering we had a lot of starters out. Swann, Breaux, Jordan will all be returning.

Now....the oline is worrisome. They looked good on the first drive, we just need to figure out the configuration and stick with it. No more jumping around.

Still early but not a good start against a 2nd string qb that was wide eyed during the first drive, but then you are against Bellichic and he has familiarity with this team.
There is still work to be done.

Still early but not a good start against a 2nd string qb that was wide eyed during the first drive, but then you are against Bellichic and he has familiarity with this team.
There is still work to be done.

He accomplished absolutely nothing against our 1's and 2's, which are actually our 2's because we were missing Jordan and Breaux. They kept their starters in against our 3's and 4's.

The offense killed this game for us, but our starting offense should be just fine.

The Saints started last year's preseason game by forcing 3 straight punts and held Brady to 2/5 for 13 yards.

We'll learn more next week. I was fine with the starting defense. My issue was with the reserves.

If you referring to the second and third group, then half of them would not make the team anyway. And not many reserve is going to play lights out. However, the "reserves" did do a decent job last night. They had their lapses, but they did made some stops to get the ball back to the offense. It was the offense that gave up 7 points and missed on 3 points.

One thing that has me really concerned is this - I was watching Americas Game before the game last night, it was from our 2009 Super Bowl year. That team was extremely opportunistic, we were always making an int, returning it for points etc.

Point being, I just don't see those players on the team yet ? . . are we moving in the right direction, yeck yeah, our defense was so bad last year, that it couldn't get much better. But when we always seem to have injuries to our star players after every game it is becomes only a matter of time before our secondary is starting the Dixon twins again.

We just don't seem to make enough impacting plays on defense where the guys can get off the field. Sure, last night was better, but if the starters played would the results have been the same of the entire game . . . would Goropolo find ways to make the 3rds and 25s like we have witnessed the past two years.

Call me still concerned, but excited to see the improving struggles,

It took forever for training camp to get here, but it will be gone before we know it. Game 3 and roster cuts to 75 is only 2-1/2 weeks away!

Stupar was impressive as a backup.
Craig Robinson was a solid addition.
PJ Williams is very physical. Will probably start opposite Breaux.
Erik Harris has work to do, as does Crawley. I'm concerned with our CB talent/depth.
Rankins looked good enough to start. Davison is a monster.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Look at this. The defensive line keeping guys off the linebackers. Credit to Tyeler Davison, who took out two dudes <a href="https://t.co/PErd9e0T7t">pic.twitter.com/PErd9e0T7t</a></p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/764282408443183105">August 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sheldon Rankins had a pretty nice rush here <a href="https://t.co/A5XculcdnW">https://t.co/A5XculcdnW</a></p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/764280108073029632">August 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The defense is much improved to me. To say that we were minus our two best defenders in Jordan and breaux let alone lewis. The defense did an outstanding job considering the circumstances our offense put them in. We had two rookies starting at cb basically and they didn't look lost at all. I am very pleased and encouraged. Hopefully we see even more progression in the Texans game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom