Huge lesson in what we've always learned in sports. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saints @ Vikings post season
Jags @ Patriots Conf. Championship
Vikings @ Eagles Conf. Championship
Texans @ Patriots 2018
Rams @ Saints 2018
Saints @ Dallas 2018
Chiefs @ Rams 2018
Rams @ Bears 2018
Chiefs @ Patriots 2018
Ravens @ Chiefs 2018

It is so difficult in the NFL to overcome home field advantage in huge games. These remaining 3 games might not appear the end of the world fighting for a 1 vs a 2 seed... but when you digest the importance of home field advance in playoffs... to have to only beat 2 teams within our Superdome playoff atmosphere to get to a Super Bowl... These next 3 games pretty much means everything.

during the game, they flashed the saints (SP/Drew) home/away playoff record
undefeated at home, 1-5 away (if i remember correctly)

i was trying to find the home/away playoff advantage, b/c it seemed to me every teams away playoff record would probably suck
all i could really find (10 min search) was a 65 percent wins for home teams in playoffs (10 percent more than regular season home record)

so saints are slightly below avg (perhaps also one play away from a 3-4 away record)

but yes, let's get HFA

I mean, I really, REALLY want homefield advantage.

But, honestly, the Rams probably have the weakest home field advantage of any good team in the history of the NFL. Even Atlanta manages to get loud the years they’re actually good.

It’s huge. Win the next 3 games and we only have to win 2 home play off games to get to the Super Bowl. 2 games.

Beat Carolina Monday night, and finish the season strong with home wins against Pittsburgh and Carolina. Chicago did is a solid last night. If we keep HFA, then this is the best chance of getting to the Super Bowl we have had since 2009. I’m pumped but also trying to keep calm as we still have 3 tough games left. We can do it.

But, honestly, the Rams probably have the weakest home field advantage of any good team in the history of the NFL. Even Atlanta manages to get loud the years they’re actually good.

Rams may not have a tremendous home field that adds to their favor but the Saints are still losing a huge home field Boost that would have added to ours. Still a big swing from losing home field to having to travel to L.A. to play in a cocktail party.

It’s huge. Win the next 3 games and we only have to win 2 home play off games to get to the Super Bowl. 2 games.

Beat Carolina Monday night, and finish the season strong with home wins against Pittsburgh and Carolina. Chicago did is a solid last night. If we keep HFA, then this is the best chance of getting to the Super Bowl we have had since 2009. I’m pumped but also trying to keep calm as we still have 3 tough games left. We can do it.

They did us one in '09, too, when a much less impressive Bears team upset Favre's Vikings on MNF the day after we lost to Tampa Bay at home. I'm not so sure we'd have won the tiebreaker without that.....wouldn't have wanted to play the Vikes in that loud old Metrodome.

agreed if we HAD to play an away game, that's where i'd prefer
they probably have the worst HFA

tangential, is Dallas the next worst HF? every dallas game i hear just as much visiting team noise as home team
(also LOVED hearing the Who Dats in TB yesterday)

during the game, they flashed the saints (SP/Drew) home/away playoff record
undefeated at home, 1-5 away (if i remember correctly)

i was trying to find the home/away playoff advantage, b/c it seemed to me every teams away playoff record would probably suck
all i could really find (10 min search) was a 65 percent wins for home teams in playoffs (10 percent more than regular season home record)

so saints are slightly below avg (perhaps also one play away from a 3-4 away record)

but yes, let's get HFA

What spikes this number so high is the Divisional round of the playoffs, with the home team coming off a bye. The home team in this situation wins 78% of the time. That's an insane percentage and it's why getting the first round bye is so important. Historically, the rest of the playoffs maintain the 53% home time win rate, however, the home team hasn't lost in the final round of the playoffs either in quite a few years.

What spikes this number so high is the Divisional round of the playoffs, with the home team coming off a bye. The home team in this situation wins 78% of the time. That's an insane percentage and it's why getting the first round bye is so important. Historically, the rest of the playoffs maintain the 53% home time win rate, however, the home team hasn't lost in the final round of the playoffs either in quite a few years.
Good to insight

I'm trying to be optimistic. But Brees, Kamara, and Watson need to step it up. One game playing poorly can be written off as a fluke. Two games? We are looking at bad habits...

Yeah, I think the real difficulty of the challenge is not winning one away playoff game. It's winning the second and/or third game against other playoff teams after expending such energy to win the first week on the road. It make you really appreciate the achievement of those (few) wild card teams who have won a Lombardi.

Of course I'd wildly prefer to have HFA throughout. But, winning one game on the road in LA is far from insurmountable for this hardened team. So long as our boys get a week off for Wild Card week, and don't have to go to Chicago in the Divisional, I still have a high confidence level.

I'm trying to be optimistic. But Brees, Kamara, and Watson need to step it up. One game playing poorly can be written off as a fluke. Two games? We are looking at bad habits...
I agree. We may have got the W yesterday but the Bucs missed several chances and our D bailed us out time and time again. Against a better opponent, we lose. I hope what we saw the last two games aren’t a sign of things to come but like you say, they need to step it up because we still have 3 must win games. Are they just tired? I’m not sure, but hopefully they can do enough to help us win our final 3 games and then they can have that bye week in the playoffs to rest.

agreed if we HAD to play an away game, that's where i'd prefer
they probably have the worst HFA

tangential, is Dallas the next worst HF? every dallas game i hear just as much visiting team noise as home team
(also LOVED hearing the Who Dats in TB yesterday)
Who Dats were louder than the Buc fans. I could hear Who Dat chants the entire 2nd half.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom