Hugo (OK) HS loses playoff game on last-second shot . . . into its own basket (1 Viewer)

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta feel for the kid who made this wrong-way shot to knock his team out of the playoffs . . . going back to school would be hard:

Buzzer-beaters do not get more bizarre than this. A last second basket made by a player that didn't win a game, but lost a game.

With possession of the ball and a one-point (37-36) lead, Hugo seemed to have the game in hand with just 3.7 seconds left on the clock, needing only inbound the ball near midcourt and run out the clock.

And it could have happened. It should have happened.

Trey Johnson broke free from a stacked inbound set, curling around to the far side of the court and towards Millwood's basket with nary a defender within 20-feet of him. The ball sailed to him. He grabbed it, took two dribbles and skyed towards the rim.

Bank off the glass. Two points...for Millwood.

Buzzer. Game over.

Explaining the play is easier than explaining the emotions that resulted directly after. Yukon's gym went into a confused hush for a couple seconds. Both benches, both groups of fans, both referees were all caught for a beat trying to compute what just happened. Then chaos. Millwood went nuts while Hugo stood shell-shocked.

It was a terrible turn of events for Johnson who was visibly devastated afterwards. He had been on the court virtually the entire game and helped the Buffaloes claw back from a double-digit deficit to a lead by the final two minutes of the game.

CoachesAid.com / Oklahoma / News / State Quarterfinals: 3A Boys: OC Millwood 38, Millwood 37

Class 3A boys: Shot in wrong basket gives Millwood stunning victory over Hugo | News OK

Hugo loses game by making shot in own basket at final second in Oklahoma - MaxWire National Blog - MaxPreps

"I must...score in my own basket."

naked-gun.jpg

He must have had money on the game. Thats the only explanation or this is the worst case of a brain fart in sports history.

Did he get turned around on the dribble? I mean the New Orleans Hornets guarded the wrong basket on the inbound against the Lakers, so it's not impossible to happen.

That's just inexperience and bad coaching.

Ok but we're talking about a high school kid here.

I'm saying if 19, 20, 23 year olds at the professional level, an entire team of them, can be confused about which basket to defend on an inbounds, is it not reasonable to believe a high school kid might not be confused?

Ok but we're talking about a high school kid here.

I'm saying if 19, 20, 23 year olds at the professional level, an entire team of them, can be confused about which basket to defend on an inbounds, is it not reasonable to believe a high school kid might not be confused?

Not the same situation. If he had this bad of a lapse of memory/judgement, then he should be evaluated.

How so? I haven't seen a clip, so I have no idea what happened, can you link me to it?

The Hornets were defending the offensive formation like they are coached. This guy shot the ball at the entirely wrong side of the court. At 3.7s left on the clock, up by 1, shooting the ball was ridiculous to begin with.

The Hornets were defending the offensive formation like they are coached. This guy shot the ball at the entirely wrong side of the court. At 3.7s left on the clock, up by 1, shooting the ball was ridiculous to begin with.

This.

They had a 1 point lead with 3.7 seconds. Shooting the ball wasn't necessary at all. Especially since he broke free, all he needed to do was hold the ball and they win.

I'm still confused at how not knowing which side of the court is your end is categorically different? And a high school player taking an unnecessary open layup is juvenile but, again

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wIa0d4nAdUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sorry, I don't see the evidence suggesting he was on drugs or gambling

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom