Hurricane Gustav (1 Viewer)

Destroyer IV

Reaction score
Stephen & Gang,

Well, it looks like Gustav may be joining the FF league this year unless we can sneak away and make other arrangements. :9: Hopefully, it will go west of us and leave us along, but the 5 day track puts it right in the middle of the Gulf with a curve towards us. Check it out at http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807_5day.html#a_topad. :no::angryrazz:

Stephen, if this thing comes to us, we should make plans to have the draft earlier rather than later. If we can make plans to do the draft sooner, we can have a full season. I am free Wednesday, Thursday, Friday after 6PM, Saturday after 6PM. What does everyone else feel about this? (Hurricane and Draft)

I am sure it will be hard to get everyone together in shuch short notice, but I think we can make it work with the telephone for this year if we have to go this route. Anyway, I hope we do not have to go this route, but if they do, we need to be prepared.

Later, Jerry

Eagles Fan

Reaction score
Good point Jerry.

If everybody wants to, we can have a back up plan to have the draft on Saturday. Mr. Roo's closes at 3PM on Saturday. Jerry, you said you are free after 6:00 PM. IF, and this is an IF, we see that by tomorrow the storm is still coming this way, we can maove the draft up to Saturday night at around 6:30 PM.

Is everyone agreeable to this?

Stephen

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
I will be the dissenting voice here -- if the storm is in the Gulf Saturday evening on a line for the Louisiana/Mississippi coasts, I'd rather be preparing to evacuate than preparing my fantasy teams. Given the possible circumstances, I'd have no problem with drafting, say, on Saturday, September 9th (assuming power is restored and all is back to normal) ... even though that is after the Thursday-night opener.

However, the storm is still quite a ways out there right now, and anything could happen. Hoping that these are decisions we don't have to make.

OP
OP
Destroyer IV

Destroyer IV

Reaction score
However, the storm is still quite a ways out there right now, and anything could happen. Hoping that these are decisions we don't have to make.
I aggree, I hope we do not have to go through with an alternative, maybe that high will set in and push it to Texas.

The only thing about drafting September 9th, is the Thursday night game, how do we account for that? Do we void week 1? Also, I was planning to be out of town after my sons JV game, but if Gustav comes, that may affect our plans expense wise anyway. Anyway, if I have to do it by phone I will or ask someone else to draft for me.

Jerry

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
The only thing about drafting September 9th, is the Thursday night game, how do we account for that? Do we void week 1?
Nah ... a lot of leagues just draft after the Thursday game (but before the Sunday games) and allow the Thursday stats to be used. It's not that great of an advantage ... no one becomes a first-round pick because they went off on Thursday night.

I guess if someone was out for the season, they would be undrafted.

Eagles Fan

Reaction score
OK we are down to two and only two options. Saturday night wont work because people have other plans and may already be leaving. So:

1) If the storm looks like it will pass us by, I will keep with the original plan and have the draft Sunday, August 31. We may move it up a little bit, to say 10:00 AM, if people need to leave right after. So that is still the plan unluss it looks like people need to leave earlier.

2) If by Thursday afternoon it looks like the storm is still heading this way, then we will move the draft up to Friday, August 29. Since both me and Jerry have to work until 6 PM, the earliest it could be will be 6:30 PM. We will have the keeper league at 6:30 and go right into the big league. We already know the draft order and the divisions, so that will save us some time. If all goes well we should be done by 10:00 PM.

I wont make that call until I get home from work on Thursday at 5:00 PM. Then I will announce it here which day we will do the draft.

Let me know if anybody has a problem with Friday night. Thanks.

Stephen

Reaction score
i am flying in for the draft and would rather it earlier then later. i will be in new orleans by tomorrow afternoon but am leaving the following week.

troy

ChrisHebert

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Doug,

I am posting for Steve bc he had no internet access from work but if we do the draft on Friday( which I am almost positive is going to happen) It will be at steve's house at 6:30. He said if you wanted you could let him know your first pick in the keeper, so we might even be able to get it rolling a little sooner.

Tbba

Reaction score
I would probably be late for the draft friday. I live in Lake Charles now and won't get off till 3 or 4 so that puts me in New Orleans around 8 or later depending on traffic. There is no way for me to get off any earlier.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
OK, Chris. I will call Steve during the day Friday with my first keeper pick if we end up drafting Friday evening.

Eagles Fan

Reaction score
It is looking more and more likely that the draft will be on Friday night at my house. Even if the storm does turn later on I know people will be making other plans on Sunday or may not even be here. So it is looking like 90% chance that the drfat will be on Friday night. I will have the official announcement on it tomoorow night at about 6 PM.

The problem I run into on Friday night is that August cant get here till 8 and Trey (the Dolphins) works till 8 as well. I thought about having the big league first so by the time we were finished that August would be here and we could do the keeper league. But now that Trey is working till 8 and he plays in the big league we cant do the big league first either.

So...I may do the keeper league first and just get August's first two picks from the road on his cell phone. He doesnt have a round 2 pick so maybe we can start at 7 and he will be here for round 3. Or...we can have the big league first and I can get Trey's first few picks over the phone and do the keeper when August gets here. So, we may not finish the draft until 10 or 11 o'clock, which I know sucks but I dont have many other choices here. I cant do it anytime on Saturday, and Sunday people will be gone. We will figure something out. Just, unluss I hear something different, just be at my house on Friday night between 6:30 and 7. We will figure out the rest then. For those who dont know, my address is 5021 Sanford Street in Metairie, one block off Transcontinetal. My home phone is 885-0983.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
There are some favorable things (for N.O.) happening with Gustav right now. The eastern bands stalled over Haiti all day today, and the storm's eye more or less fell apart. The surface wind speeds also dropped to around 40 mph.

This is supposed to greatly increase the chance (but not guarantee) that Gustav could be forced more northward, passing over hilly SE Cuba instead of looping around the western tip of Cuba (which would keep it over water and constantly strengthening). The hope is that it emerges from over Cuba and into the far SE Gulf of Mexico on a NNW track, barely hanging on to TS status and limping into Florida the way Fay did.

Again, no guarantees. Just some very recent facts that should have an effect on where Gustav ends up and how strong it will be. This stuff does change on the fly.

Eagles Fan

Reaction score
Yes Doug you are right about that. I get home tomorrow from work at 5 PM. I will watch the very latest weather report then. I will need to then make a decision either way. If it looks like it is turning away from us, then we will keep on the plan and have it for Sunday afternoon. If it looks like it is still coming this way, we will move it to Friday, but now for like 7:30 PM to give August more time to get here. But if anybody is still planning on not being here on Sunday, you have to let me know so I will know to keep the draft on Friday.

Let me know if you hear any more. Thanks Doug.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Well, crap. All that good news just dried up and blew away as Gustav's eye reformed at a spot well south of the previous eye.

Now we have to hope for a westerly track, not an easterly one. A few models (well, 2 out of 8) they showed on the 6 AM news had Gustav staying on a sharp westward track ... far enough to hit the Yucatan. The other six models show a turn into the Gulf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom