Hurricane Preparedness Tips (1 Viewer)

Another excellent article by Dan Gill:

Trees and Hurricanes: How to assess, prune and prepare now for big storms

If you have a vegetable garden, harvest all vegetables before the storm to get them out of harm's way. There likely will be little left after the storm, and don't eat anything that was covered by flood water.
If the hurricane is a few days out, and you have the time, mow your lawn. If the storm hits, it may be some time before you have the opportunity to do it again.
Plus, when everything dries out, a cut lawn will make it easier to rake or use the leaf blower to clear debris.

Apologies if this is buried in the thread, but it's beneficial for those seeking info in affected areas...

Change voicemail greetings on home/cell phones to describe your safety condition or evac plans.

When phone service deteriorates, fam/friends seeking info about you (who get through to your number) will at least know your latest sitrep, even if you can't explain it live.

Last edited:
If you ever have to use a generator, pay the price and use 10-12 gauge extension cords. Those 16-18 gauge cheapies you buy at walmart or dollar general are fire hazards waiting to happen.

Bottle water is hard to find at the grocery stores. Paid $30 to get some premium water that suppose to be ph balanced or something. People are in full panic mode in Florida.

Bought some gas for the generator and the gas station was lined up, people filling there tanks before the storm hits.

Bottle water is hard to find at the grocery stores. Paid $30 to get some premium water that suppose to be ph balanced or something. People are in full panic mode in Florida.

Bought some gas for the generator and the gas station was lined up, people filling there tanks before the storm hits.

Gas for generators needs to be ethanol free. Ethanol fuel breaks down oil. Find a station that has it and pay the extra price.

Gas for generators needs to be ethanol free. Ethanol fuel breaks down oil. Find a station that has it and pay the extra price.

That's good advice, I keep forgetting. Do you think the fuel stabilizer additive with gas is equal to ethanol free gas?

My generator is brand new, so hopefully I don't have to use it all.

That's good advice, I keep forgetting. Do you think the fuel stabilizer additive with gas is equal to ethanol free gas?

I believe it's best to buy it at a station that sells it.Florida has many locations

Hurricane Preparedness Tip.....Permanently move out of states that get hurricanes.

After last year's big scare, this year should be interesting.

Hurricane Preparedness Tip.....Permanently move out of states that get hurricanes.

After last year's big scare, this year should be interesting.

There is no place on earth safe from natures fury. We know hurricanes are coming days in advance. Do you prefer living in an area where earthquakes and blizzards can happen with little or no notice?

There is no place on earth safe from natures fury. We know hurricanes are coming days in advance. Do you prefer living in an area where earthquakes and blizzards can happen with little or no notice?

I'm going with yes, but things can change. Usually second week of September something serious rolls through.

Reports indicate it will be a very active hurricane season. Stay safe everybody!

"Overall, an above-average number of storms is expected in 2020, making for an “extremely active” season:

• CSU’s latest forecast (published August 5, 2020) predicts a total of 24 named storms (average is 12.1) for the year, of which 12 will become hurricanes (average is 6.4). Of the hurricanes that are expected to occur, 5 will turn into major hurricanes (average is 2.7). Major hurricanes are storms reaching at least Category 3 strength in the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale.
  • NOAA’s initial forecast (published May 21, 2020) predicts a 60% chance of an “above-normal” season made up of between 13 and 19 named tropical storms. Of those storms, between 6 and 10 are likely to become hurricanes, and between 3 and 6 of those hurricanes could become major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5). Read NOAA’s forecast here."

Bumping for now. I think this is the first year I didn't sticky this. :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom