Hurt Pup (1 Viewer)

we have found vet prices to be all over the place. We have one in our neighborhood that is four times higher then other places. Start asking other pet owners for references before you need one again. Also...avoid the 24 hour animal hospitals whenever possible. Prices are normally two to three times a normal vets office. We have learned the hard way.

Right now, yes.

Final bill was $245. The Xray came back with no break. There is a slight seperation at the joints and I was given anti inflammatory medicine. Will have to try and keep her calm for the next few days.

So basically, the vet couldn't do anything.

I know the feeling. I paid $500 for two vet visits for the crap in my dog's ears. Neither of their treatments did a thing. Funny story I come on this board a week later and am told of a treatment that worked better than both. Just goes to show, always ask the EE board before some "doctor."

we have found vet prices to be all over the place. We have one in our neighborhood that is four times higher then other places. Start asking other pet owners for references before you need one again. Also...avoid the 24 hour animal hospitals whenever possible. Prices are normally two to three times a normal vets office. We have learned the hard way.

There was one clinic that was booked today and the other hasn't accepted new "patients" in years. I guess they are happy with the people they have now. I was told the place I went to today is the cheapest around... so :covri:

first insurance now this....

2010 cant come soon enough eh?

fwiw, I have a golden that is allergic to ragweed and requires "maintenance shots" every 14 days - shots last about 2 months - $150 a vial and special "sensitive skin" food at $56 a bag.( feeding two full grown goldens lasts about 2 weeks) My first reaction to the vets diagnosis...."it's a dog"...:)

But you do what you gotta....

I have one allergic to ragweed, too...FYI, check the "sensitive skin" food ingredients...if there's corn or wheat, chances are your dog is allergic to that as well. The label "sensitive skin formula" doesn't always guarantee a good food for allergic dogs, based on my experience, especially if it's a Science Diet formula. FWIW, there are several good foods you can get at Petco or at a feed store...not cheap, but likely cheaper than $56. a bag. Anything that is fish based instead of chicken based will be good for an allergic dog. My dog is itching like crazy right now with ragweed at "extreme" levels here in Houston, but for most of the summer we had it under control with a simple food change...she wasn't tolerating the lamb based food, but a different protein source did the trick. I also give her OTC kids' benadryl to control the itchies, and have a stash of prednisone if she gets really bad. We haven't had to go to shots yet since I use an arsenal of nutritional and topical treatments, but we may have to eventually.

Porculator, re: the crap in your dogs ears...same thing; I had a dog with chronic ear problems after we moved to Houston...she had clean ears all her life, but here she had the black goop all the time. I switched all the dogs to a fish based food due to the food allergies in the dog mentioned above, and about 2 months later I noticed that the dog with the ear problems now had clean ears...she was slightly allergic to the food she had been eating. In NJ there weren't other allergens for her to deal with so her body could deal with the allergens in the food, but in Houston she couldn't deal with the new airborne allergens AND the food, and it manifested itself through icky ears. Try a food switch; again, stay away from corn and wheat (most common allergens), and perhaps switch to a fish-based food. Once I got my dogs' ears under control, I put a bit of R7 ear powder (from Petco) in their ears every week; it keeps the ph balanced and helps with moisture problems.

I know this was more info than you wanted, probably...sorry! :D

And jrdbrn, I'm glad the pup is okay...better safe than sorry, IMO. Keep her crated to rest, and keep her on leash when she has to potty...that will keep her from overdoing it for a few days, especially once the meds kick in and she feels better...that's the prime time for dogs to overdo it and re-injure themselves, based on my experience.

Before you take him in take a look at his paw -- my dog had a similar problem and sympton -- after a lot of money we found out that it was not a sprain, break or dislocation -- there was a piece of glass stuck in-between the toes (if thats the correct term for inbetween the paws) -- and thats why she was putting absolutely no weight on the leg --

Had a similar problem with one of our dogs. He had a piece of gum stuck between his pads and then a little rock stuck to the gum. Once every few days, he would cream when he tried to jump on the sofa or sometimes just when walking. Other than that he would act normal. After a week or so, we took him to the vet and the first thing he did was check his feet and found the problem.

Right now, yes.

Final bill was $245. The Xray came back with no break. There is a slight seperation at the joints and I was given anti inflammatory medicine. Will have to try and keep her calm for the next few days.

So basically, the vet couldn't do anything.

Could be worse. Cost me $500 to put mine down after being mangled by a car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom