Hydrogen Powered Chevy Equinox (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...I3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNncmVlbi1jYXI-

Yahoo Article said:
GM is producing over 100 Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles and placing them in consumer hands as part of the world’s largest fuel cell vehicle test fleet. This process has already begun. The ambitious program, dubbed “Project Driveway,” is part of GM’s ongoing fuel cell development that started more than 40 years ago with the hydrogen fuel cell powered Electrovan. Over the past four decades this development has featured such high profile fuel cell concepts as the Hy-wire, AUTOnomy, Sequel, and the recently announced Cadillac Provoq.

Project Driveway will take place in metropolitan areas on both coasts including New York City, Washington DC, and in California, chosen in part because these locations offer good access to hydrogen refueling facilities. The Equinox Fuel Cell has an estimated range of 200 miles between fill-ups and a top speed of 100 mph. Observant motorists will notice something missing from the rear of the car: in place of usual exhaust pipe are four slots in the rear fascia that dispense this vehicle’s only emissions … water vapor.

I want one!

I know we're a few years away from hydrogen being a viable solution, but I found this news encouraging...wish I lived in one of those test cities and got chosen.

Last edited:
Heh Too bad water vapor is a greenhouse gas. :hihi:

Yeah, yeah I know it's a lot greener than a combustion engine. Don't ruin my fun. :angryrazz:

No reason why in 7-10 years we all don't have one of these.

Sure there is..hydrogen infrastructure and building enough "hydrogen plants " to supply the fleet. then supplying those plants with enough energy to produce the hydrogen. There is also a problem with storing hydrogen in gaseous form. Its small enough to leak through almost any container.

I wonder how much "oil" ( ie energy) is used to make the hydrogen and transport it to market. Its a Law of Physics...you cant make energy therefore..you use more "oil" to make the hydrogen than what you will get from the hydrogen. ( if engine efficiencies are equal). Now if you can use wind, solar, hydro or nuke, then will remove the oil from the equation. Till then you have a hydrogen car still based off of "oil", only more of it than a straight burning "oil" car.

*when I say "oil" I mean any oil product.

That's why PHEVs are more attractive to me. Subsidize a few home solar panels and fast track nuclear plants for green (in various states of glow) powered vehicles utilizing our existing grid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom