*Hypothetical Situation* We are at the trade deadline. An AFC playoff team is desperate for a RB and willing to trade a 1st for Ingram & our 4th. (1 Viewer)

Would you do it?

He is an expiring. He wants a raise. We probably let him walk for nothing. We don't have a 1st round pick. An AFC loses a starting RB and desperate to fill the need and keep their playoff hopes alive. Yes or No?

Since it's not clear...

1st round pick FOR Ingram and our 4th round pick
NOT NO, BUT HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Also have to remember that Karamara is going to be VERY expensive. You can't afford to have that much invested at RB with the money Ingram will want.

Don't be shocked at all if he's not re-signed. In fact, I can't think of a single RB in recent history that was worthy of a large third contract. There probably are examples, but I can't think of any.

I’d extend Ingram for two years. He has shown no sign of decline, in reality he has improved every year. He is a vital part of our offense and his abilities allow the team to utilize Kamara more on the flats where he is devastating. People have been trying to say that this or that RB is able to replace Ingram for years...it’s disrespectful. Ingram’s one of the top 5 RBs in franchise history. The only difference between McAllister and Ingram is fan perception...but I have a tough time remembering fans trying to trade him to the highest bidder, even when was on his decline.

I love Ingram, but he is an expiring trying to get paid. Do we let him walk for nothing or get some value?

This will be Ingram's last chance at a big deal so you better believe he's going to make the most of it and as he should. He's worked his tail off to become the player he is today and I have a great deal of respect for him. But this is a tricky situation. You don't want to be the team that gives a player his last big deal based on past performance. I think Ingram's shelf life will be helped by the relatively few amount of touches he's had for a player his age but how much will that help?

After 7 years in the league Ingram has 1,390 touches. After 5 years in the league Le'Veon Bell has 1,541. So Ingram isn't going to be your typical beat up 30 year old RB like Steven Jackson or Eddie George but still, not many RBs have done well after 30. Even all time greats like Marshall Faulk and LaDainian Tomlinson fell off a cliff at 30 years old.

Dude, he'll be 29 years old at the end of the year and we won't have him under contract. You absolutely take a 1st rounder for an RB that's aging out and needs a new contract, but no one would give us that. This idea that he's worth more than a 1st and 4th? Seriously? I would put him on a plane ASAP before the other team could rethink it.

I’d extend Ingram for two years. He has shown no sign of decline, in reality he has improved every year. He is a vital part of our offense and his abilities allow the team to utilize Kamara more on the flats where he is devastating. People have been trying to say that this or that RB is able to replace Ingram for years...it’s disrespectful. Ingram’s one of the top 5 RBs in franchise history. The only difference between McAllister and Ingram is fan perception...but I have a tough time remembering fans trying to trade him to the highest bidder, even when was on his decline.
With only $10 million in cap space for next year?

If the depth at RB is deemed reliable of course. Then we can take the 1st rounder and pick up Drew's heir. But I can't lie Ingram makes up a huge part of this offense and I would hate to see him elsewhere.

Dude, he'll be 29 years old at the end of the year and we won't have him under contract. You absolutely take a 1st rounder for an RB that's aging out and needs a new contract, but no one would give us that. This idea that he's worth more than a 1st and 4th? Seriously? I would put him on a plane ASAP before the other team could rethink it.
this is the answer
the only answer
I love Mark, but the track record of 30yr old rbs is abundantly clear - if we can get value for Mark we jump on it

esp since we're not likely to resign him considering the contracts we're about to have to pay (as well as him being an old rb)

Ask yourself this. Name the 28 year old RB in modern NFL history that you would have traded a 1st round pick to get. Then ask yourself to name one with an expiring contract.

If Jonathan Williams comes in and really looks good through the first 4 games then I wouldn't be surprised if there was some quiet shopping going on. I just don't see a scenario where a team offers enough to justify trading him. I could see a desperate team offer a 4th round pick at the most for a guy with an expiring contract and will be 29 years old in a couple months.

What I would really like to see is the Saints and Ingram come to agreement on a reasonable extension. If that can't happen and we find a rb out of the group in camp that can truly fill Ingram's shoes, then I would have to consider the trade.

But that won't realistically happen. Few rbs are worth a #1 these days. I would be shocked if we were ever offered even a third, and I would not take that.

Last edited:
If we are going to make a run deep into the playoffs quality depth is critical. I don't see the Saints, even if we start slowly (remember last years start!) trading Mark Ingram this year.

For a 1st round pick, absolutely.

And the evidence that YES is the right answer is that no team would ever offer that. These days RBs have to be incredibly special to even be DRAFTED in the 1st round. And those are 22 year olds.

No. Remember that 2010 when we had a bunch of injuries and had to sign Ladell Betts and Julius Jones? Then we invested in Ingram the next draft. We’re trying to win a super bowl. We need all the depth we can get this year.

I think it's a sign-and-trade you make if brings luxury tax relief, opens up a mid-level exception, and we get a player to be named later with controllable years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom