Hypothetically, can a 41 year old QB... (1 Viewer)

He can get it down the field, it's just the trajectory and timing that seem to be off. I can't tell you the last time I've seen Drew throw the ball to a streaking receiver in stride and over their shoulder. They almost always have to turn around and pull up for the ball. I don't know if it's that he's throwing too late, or if the ball has a higher arc and taking longer to get there.

One of the issues besides arm strength that is not discussed is his pocket presence. It's been a while since we seen Drew run out the pocket for a first down. He just takes the sack. If he does come back then he needs to put it all out there to include running for that first down.

He can get it down the field, it's just the trajectory and timing that seem to be off. I can't tell you the last time I've seen Drew throw the ball to a streaking receiver in stride and over their shoulder. They almost always have to turn around and pull up for the ball. I don't know if it's that he's throwing too late, or if the ball has a higher arc and taking longer to get there.

He CANNOT push it down the field, that's what your seeing, doesn't mean he cant throw it deep just means if the play design is not to go deep you wont see him pushing the ball down the field to much.

Not saying we have the same kind of Offense and Defense, but Brady won the SuperBowl at 41... so it's not impossible. However, I think we need to scheme better for it and run the ball a little more.

One of the issues besides arm strength that is not discussed is his pocket presence. It's been a while since we seen Drew run out the pocket for a first down. He just takes the sack. If he does come back then he needs to put it all out there to include running for that first down.
This past season he seemed to be under duress in the pocket quickly. The offensive line had some bad games where they didn’t give him a chance. The Atlanta and Minnesota losses come to mind immediately. Drew can still “buy time” and scramble a bit, but you need a little space to do it in. He just didn’t have the angles or lanes to shuffle in to, or had someone immediately all over him.

After the fumble, I'm worried about his hand strength now that the thumb is weaker.

I’m not concerned about the thumb. It will fully heal in the off season. It’s amazing that he was able to come back as quickly as he did, and be as effective and accurate as he was. Make no mistake about it though, his thumb was never fully healed after his return.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, can a 41 year old QB do anything to meaningfully improve arm strength in the offseason? If strength is declining, could you combat that by doubling down on strength building workouts? Or is the arm like a tire, where the tread gets worn down and it’s done.

I mean, you have all of these baseball players who became home run kings when they were well into their thirties. Of course, they used steroids, but theoretically one could accomplish naturally what one could accomplish with steroids, given enough time and the right training regimen. Right?

And, hypothetically, you don’t need the 41-year-old QB to launch it 50 yards downfield 12 times a game. You just need enough steam to keep defenses honest.

It actually doesn't lose strength, it loses speed. That's why guys like Drew and Brady throw around little pee wee footballs instead of heavy full size NFL balls in the offseason. To try to maintain arm velocity.

I’m not concerned about the thumb. It will fully heal in the off season. It’s amazing that he was able to come back as quickly as he did, and be as effective and accurate as he was. Make no mistake about it though, his thumb was never fully healed after his return.
I heard that similar to Tommy John surgery, the thumb surgery with implant he had actually makes the thumb/grip stronger than it was before the surgery.

Wify My Life Partner ** is a doc Doctor ** and when I asked her that she said there is accumulated damage from such extreme motions and it is not ultimate strength that is the problem. He can probably throw a 60 yard ball but it probably hurts like hell and depletes his arm faster. Lactic acid and other performance hurting byproducts of muscle use, build up faster and decline slower with age.

He only has so much gas so to speak and he has to manage how he uses it in a game. She added that he is also at greater risk of hyperextension and more micro-muscle tears not to mention, his joints won't thank him for it after the game.

** I was shamed for calling my Cuddle Bunny a "Wify" so I corrected my faux pas.

Last edited:
Wify is a doc and when I asked her that she said there is accumulated damage from such extreme motions and it is not ultimate strength that is the problem. He can probably throw a 60 yard ball but it probably hurts like hell and depletes his arm faster. Lactic acid and other performance hurting byproducts of muscle use, build up faster and decline slower with age.

He only has so much gas to speak and he has to manage how he uses it in a game. She added that he is also at greater risk of hyperextension and more micro-muscle tears not to mention, his joints won't thank him for it after the game.

This is why I pace myself in the gym

Does she like you calling her "wify"?

No. She insists I call her Doctor ____ ____ ____ M.D. All three names when I'm in real S#!&

Why did you ask. Is PC Shaming and Virtue Signaling your deal? If you message me your address I'll send you one of these

1580254701857.png

.. get Drew some contacts "readers" and a side of HgH & he'll be just fine.. LoL!

.. serious.. go ahead, debate it.. your a 40+ y/o QB, what are you gonna do ??

.. hint, you'll do what it takes.. if not, time to call it a day..

NW.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, can a 41 year old QB do anything to meaningfully improve arm strength in the offseason? If strength is declining, could you combat that by doubling down on strength building workouts? Or is the arm like a tire, where the tread gets worn down and it’s done.

I mean, you have all of these baseball players who became home run kings when they were well into their thirties. Of course, they used steroids, but theoretically one could accomplish naturally what one could accomplish with steroids, given enough time and the right training regimen. Right?

And, hypothetically, you don’t need the 41-year-old QB to launch it 50 yards downfield 12 times a game. You just need enough steam to keep defenses honest.
A couple things:
1) Throwing power comes from the legs and torso.
2) Brees doesn't need to strengthen his arm.

You people forget he was the best offensive player in the NFL for the month of December. He's not the problem. He's the reason why the Saints have a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom