Hypothetically, can a 41 year old QB... (1 Viewer)

No. She insists I call her Doctor ____ ____ ____ M.D. All three names when I'm in real S#!&

Why did you ask. Is PC Shaming and Virtue Signaling your deal? If you message me your address I'll send you one of these

1580254701857.png

BbAElE.gif

Stronger, sure. I can lift more weight now than I could in my 30s. Doesn't mean I can go play full contact football, though. As others have stated, It's more than just muscle strength involved. Under the obvious assumption you're talking about Brees, nobody has a more focused conditioning regimen than he does.

Last edited:
No and he doesn't need to. He just needs to play within himself and he's still better than about 25-28 other QBs in this league.

Thank goodness, a voice of reason finally. Only 1 QB I'd take over Brees right now and that's Mahomes.

The most critical stat outside of TD:Int ratio is net yards per attempt. Basically how many yards do you gain every time you drop back to pass, taking into account sack yardage. A QB wants to be in the range of 6.6-6.8 to really have a chance at being successful in this league. A number north of that is considered excellent, getting north of 7.0 is elite.

Drew Brees after the 2016 season had a career average of 6.97. There were only 4 QBs who were above 7.0 at the time.

Since turning 38
Drew Brees last 3 seasons 7.54

The highest career average in NFL history is Peyton Manning at 7.23.

As a reference point:

Aaron Rodgers after 2014 had the NFL 2nd career best average of 7.22.

Aaron Rodgers last 5 seasons 6.13

Now there's someone who people should be talking about in terms of retirement. That number is paltry, and I'm being kind.

QB rating since 2017:

Brees.......... 111.3
Mahomes... 108.3
Wilson......... 103.6
Watson........ 101.0

Everyone else below 100.0.

Last edited:
Thank goodness, a voice of reason finally.

The most critical stat outside of TD:Int ratio is net yards per attempt. Basically how many yards do you gain every time you drop back to pass, taking into account sack yardage. A QB wants to be in the range of 6.6-6.8 to really have a chance at being successful in this league. A number north of that is considered excellent, getting north of 7.0 is elite.

Drew Brees after the 2016 season had a career average of 6.97. There were only 4 QBs who were above 7.0 at the time.

Since turning 38
Drew Brees last 3 seasons 7.54

The highest career average in NFL history is Peyton Manning at 7.23.

As a reference point:

Aaron Rodgers after 2014 had the NFL 2nd career best average of 7.22.

Aaron Rodgers last 5 seasons 6.13

Now there's someone who people should be talking about in terms of retirement. That number is paltry, and I'm being kind.

Ehhh. 7.0 isn't elite. 20 QBs had 7.0 or higher, so a 7.0 would actually be a little bit below average.

Drew was 12th in the league this year in yards/attempt amongst starters. That puts him squarely around "average" for that stat.

Ehhh. 7.0 isn't elite. 20 QBs had 7.0 or higher, so a 7.0 would actually be a little bit below average.

Drew was 12th in the league this year in yards/attempt amongst starters. That puts him squarely around "average" for that stat.
Jesus, please read first before you respond.

Go back, reread and then get back to me.

Drew could go to and win the SB at that age.

I feel the biggest problem as to why Drew hasnt had more SBs appearances or wins is solely based off the fact he plays in the NFC. Its seem to be such a dominant conference where best team dont always win, not like the AFC where competition the last 20 years has been so stagnant you allow 1 team with a QB like Drew to go to the SB 9 times or whatever that number is.

Even back in the 80s the 49ers largely stayed in tact and missed out on the SB for a few years between 84 and 88 or 89 I think it was losing to far lesser teams as seen with the Saints the last 3 years. Difference in those years when 49ers did go to the SB mirrored almost how the Patriots were going to the SB, teams in the NFC started dropping off for a moment, aside from Montana, their was no one else except Phil Simms, the counterparts like Marino and Elway were in the AFC, or later on Jim Kelly.

No. She insists I call her Doctor ____ ____ ____ M.D. All three names when I'm in real S#!&

Why did you ask. Is PC Shaming and Virtue Signaling your deal? If you message me your address I'll send you one of these

1580254701857.png
I asked because I was honestly curious. You're the one that got all extra about shaming me with your wife's initials behind her name. Cool.

I'm not any of the things you're insinuating I am. And don't bother sending me a bag. I have my own that I'm always forgetting to take them into the store with me.

Wify My Life Partner ** is a doc Doctor ** and when I asked her that she said there is accumulated damage from such extreme motions and it is not ultimate strength that is the problem. He can probably throw a 60 yard ball but it probably hurts like hell and depletes his arm faster. Lactic acid and other performance hurting byproducts of muscle use, build up faster and decline slower with age.

** I was shamed for calling my Cuddle Bunny a "Wify" so I corrected my faux pas.
Why do you feel shamed? She likes it. Keep using it.

Drew Brees has a good routine and training process. The distance accuracy this year may have had more to do with the injury and grip strength than with arm strength. That might improve with the offseason.

It's not arm strength that's the problem. Plenty of videos from last year with Drew chucking it 50 yards down field. The issue is location of the deep throw...if you notice they don't go to the sidelines anymore like they did in our heyday with Meachem/Henderson. The deep throws are now deep post to the middle of the field. When he does throw to the sideline say the Kenny Galloday TD it's more in the range of 35 yards or about a medium throw where Drew is still pretty accurate at.

If you want it in madden terms his Throw power is still about an 88 his Deep ball accuracy is about a 79.

It’s a reflection that he’s not maintaining proper throwing mechanics with those long passes. It happens...hes 40 years old. He’s had a few abdominal issues, he’s had a surgically reconstruction shoulder and thumb.

True story. Nolan Ryan is widely regarded as one of the great pitchers of all time. He’s my personal favorite. The reason the was humming them in there into his 40s was impeccable mechanics. He was able to stay relatively healthy over his career...which played a huge role.

People think that his career was ended by an elbow UCL tear, but that’s only partially accurate. If you ask Nolan, he’d tell you that his career was ended by spraining his knee MCL earlier in the season. That’s what changed his throwing mechanics...and boom, torn UCL.

It may not be Brees “arm” that gives out...it could any number of areas of his body that contribute to the kinetic chain. We are already seeing signs of that kinetic chain being altered.

Both the short and long answer is “no”

Search Underhill’s article about it from the summer - he talked to the guy training both Drew and Brady
Said it’s really not a matter of strength but arm speed
And that arm speed can be maintained at their age but really not increased

This.

One of the things that stands out when watching highlights from 2009-2011 is not how much distance Brees threw, but how quickly he got the ball out and the amount of velocity he could put on his throws. He used to be able to toss long passes with a quick flick of the wrist, and even the mid-range 25 to 30 yard throws were thrown on-target and the ball got there quickly with a tight spiral and didn't seem like much effort was needed. He now requires a much longer wind-up than previous years to get the same kind of velocity he used to get on even the mid-range stuff, and even then, we see more ducks and occasional inaccuracy.

This is due to a combination of factors - declining strength not just in the arm, but also in the core and in the legs, declining speed and quickness in body movements, along with declining hand-eye coordination, something that not only effects QBs in their latter years, but also WRs.

I think at 41, what we have seen Drew evolve into is more of an elite game-manager that is capable of a highlight reel play or performance once every blue moon. The days of him throwing for 5,000+ yards are long gone. His game is now predicated on not taking a lot of risks, more screens and short passes, and as a result we can get used to seeing the type of TD to INT ratio stat lines he's had the past 2 or 3 seasons. It's proven we can win that way as long as the defense and running game are solid, so that's not a bad thing. I think we should be able to get one more year out of him with this style of play before the wheels possibly come off. We'll still see him have a vintage Brees game every now and then, but those will be now be few and far in between.

I'll also add that him missing 5+ games last year early in the year may have actually helped him tremendously and prevent him from wearing down.

It’s a reflection that he’s not maintaining proper throwing mechanics with those long passes. It happens...hes 40 years old. He’s had a few abdominal issues, he’s had a surgically reconstruction shoulder and thumb.

True story. Nolan Ryan is widely regarded as one of the great pitchers of all time. He’s my personal favorite. The reason the was humming them in there into his 40s was impeccable mechanics. He was able to stay relatively healthy over his career...which played a huge role.

People think that his career was ended by an elbow UCL tear, but that’s only partially accurate. If you ask Nolan, he’d tell you that his career was ended by spraining his knee MCL earlier in the season. That’s what changed his throwing mechanics...and boom, torn UCL.

It may not be Brees “arm” that gives out...it could any number of areas of his body that contribute to the kinetic chain. We are already seeing signs of that kinetic chain being altered.

You've always been pretty accurate on stuff like this so I have no reason to doubt your assessment. That's quality insight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom