I agree... our secondary needs help... (1 Viewer)

Anyone who thinks our CB's are not suspect needs to re-examine things. We were seriously exposed by the Ravens offense. We need help, BAD!

When I said we should do whatever it takes to get Nate Clement (including possibly giving up a 1st rounder) I got chewed out by alot of people.

The secondary is gonna cost us alot of games this year and probably keep us out of the playoffs.

I agree that we need help, but if we got more pressure on the QB our secondary wouldn't look as bad. The problem is at times the QB has all day to sit back there and that forces our guys to run with receivers longer then they should. Ultimately the receivers end up getting open, but if our d-line would get to the QB quickly our dbs would still be with the receivers.

Think about it. 5-10 seconds running with a guy like most receivers are isn't that easy.

I agree that we need help, but if we got more pressure on the QB our secondary wouldn't look as bad. The problem is at times the QB has all day to sit back there and that forces our guys to run with receivers longer then they should. Ultimately the receivers end up getting open, but if our d-line would get to the QB quickly our dbs would still be with the receivers.

Think about it. 5-10 seconds running with a guy like most receivers are isn't that easy.

I agree... We're not getting pressure on the QB and giving our secondary a chance a lot of times... When you have a less-talented group, which we probably do, you need to give them help by not making hold coverage for long periods of time...

We haven't really harassed any QBs this year other than Frye and kind of Vick (that was more contain then pressure though).

Anyone who thinks our CB's are not suspect needs to re-examine things. We were seriously exposed by the Ravens offense. We need help, BAD!

Our secondary is not that bad! We only gave up like 159 pass yards and when you let a veteran who has made it to the Superbowl sit back and have all day to throw he will pick you apart. I think we could use an upgrade at the position but we do not need to freak out and make it seem like we are desperate. The Ravens were ready for us and everything was going there way. Lets also not forget they were 4-0 and many still predict them to go to the superbowl.

I looked at the numbers for McNair as they were going on. Yes he only threw for 159 yards, but he always got the completion when they needed it.

To say the secondary only gave up 159 yards isn't looking at what really happened. At one point i think they were 6 for 6 on 3rd downs passing the ball. Thats ridiculous.

So who's available in the upcoming FA market??? Do we draft a corner or do we go out and buy one??? Seems like our secondary is the weakest part of our defense although overall the defense has improved since last year.

Still think we need an upgrade at LB but DB looks like a higher priority after yesterday.

So who's available in the upcoming FA market??? Do we draft a corner or do we go out and buy one??? Seems like our secondary is the weakest part of our defense although overall the defense has improved since last year.

Still think we need an upgrade at LB but DB looks like a higher priority after yesterday.

Nate Clement is going to be available but now its probably going to be impossible to get him. They'll be a 1/3 of the NFL teams wanting him.

I say you pay the man and get him. Hes the 2nd best cornerback in the league behind champ bailey. (maybe hall).

Then i'd also draft one in the 1st round. That way we have 2 good corners on our roster and a rookie who could be great. We have to replace craft.

MM is really not playing that bad. FT on the other hand gets abused week in week out. we need to maybe give some of these young guys on the practice squad or promote Craft, none of them can play worse than FT is right now. also stoutmire in my opinion is the worst cover saftey i've seen us have. i'd almost rather Gleason out there. Omar is good against the run but looks lost in coverage. Heap and Wilcox abused him and Simoneau yeasterday and Shanle may have had his worst game as a Saint. we defintely need to get more pressure on the QB, but it's hard to blitz when your CB (FT) and Safety(OS) can cover there shadow.

MM is really not playing that bad. FT on the other hand gets abused week in week out. we need to maybe give some of these young guys on the practice squad or promote Craft, none of them can play worse than FT is right now. also stoutmire in my opinion is the worst cover saftey i've seen us have. i'd almost rather Gleason out there. Omar is good against the run but looks lost in coverage. Heap and Wilcox abused him and Simoneau yeasterday and Shanle may have had his worst game as a Saint. we defintely need to get more pressure on the QB, but it's hard to blitz when your CB (FT) and Safety(OS) can cover there shadow.

Fred Thomas did not have a good game but I will say it again. Chris MCallister, widely considered to be one of the leagues top corners gave up three times more yards, twice as many catches, 2 td's to Thomas' none, made less tackles and didn't have any interceptions. The secondary was pretty bad yesterday but not ours. Yes, our secondary did give up quite a few critical plays in the first half but that happens sometimes in the NFL. They didn't have a way to gameplan for the new play calling, McNair had more time than he should have and our corners were playing man coverage. We played 8 in the box against the Ravens run and dared them to beat us with the pass. They did for a while but the secondary did not do anything that cost us the game.

I think a lot of you should be looking at the pass rush. Will Smith was going against Jonathon Ogden and Charles Grant was double teamed all day so we should have forced better pressure up the middle and with blitzing LB's and didn't.

If you take away the 5 turnovers and the 10 penalties do you guys think we had a chance at winning the game? If you do then get your finger away from the secondary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom