I agree with this [Free agents Saints should consider] (1 Viewer)

Re-signing Apple to be our #3CB seems like a no-brainer, but maybe he wants #2CB money.

Signing Peters would give us a fantastically deep O-line, could we afford that?

The other two are a meh for me, as they would probably cost more than they are worth.

Eli Apple is the only guy out there I would really want. We could use a legit backup boundary corner and that’s what Apple would bring us. Plus now that the draft has come and gone, any free agents left could probably be had for pretty cheap.

Who knows how the offseason will go, so signing someone that has experience & knowledge of the playbook would be ideal like Apple.

We are supposedly in win this year at all costs mode, so bringing back Apple on a 1 year deal like PJ Williams would be a no-brainer

I already like our chances at being one of the best teams in the league and adding Apple would only solidify that position

Last edited:
Would love to have Apple back as insurance at least for a year since we always have injuries in the secondary. The lack of demand for his services should drive his price down.

Don’t know much about Gabriel but I’m not against bringing in a WR that can play.

Matthews would be great insurance for Anzalone & Alonso, doubt he would play on special teams so that might hurt his chances.

Peters was a great LT, is he still? Would be a great backup for when Armstead misses his 2-6 games a year and we wouldn’t have to move Peat out. Still not sure why we haven’t re-signed Omameh, he played very well at LT and OG plus should be a lot cheaper than Peters.

Maybe it's me but, as a fan I don't want Apple back. He seemed like he had lost all confidence following the injury. His technique was bad (def holding calls/bad ball location) would prefer someone else instead. Matthews and Peters would be two I would want with Gabriel being the guy.

Apple is a no-brainer. Now, as for the others. I'd love to get Peters. I don't think he is a long-term guy any longer, but as a backup for when (not if) Armstead gets's hurt he would be a great insurance policy. Clay Matthews would be a very good backup, or starter on 1st and 2nd down. Gabriel would be a long-shot, but at least he would provide competition. And, if he could get back to what he was for 1 season, then that would be lagniape. Good list of players.

Makes a lot of sense. Hard to argue with the rationale in the article. Gabriel and Peters are particularly interesting. You can never have too many vet WRs and with Peters our O Line would be Voltron status.

Clay Mathews would be a good get if he comes cheap. Depth and leadership for a LB core that is still a little shaky with injury concerns and youth, IMO. Apple would be awesome to have back as depth, but he didn’t re-sign for a reason. He wants more money.

Problem is, maybe with the exception of Gabriel, these are not "bargain bin" players. Also, Peters has been hurt just as much as Armstead in recent years.
True. But, he wouldn't be a starter for us. This means, when Armstead goes down (as he does every season) we have an above average replacement, and we wouldn't have to move Peat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom