I already view this season as a success (long) <<EDIT - 6 YR OLD THREAD - NOW CLOSED>> (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldJC.SAINTS

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm quoting here but man am I an happy oversea Saints fan !!

Last year was a complete disaster. We had great hopes after the first week against Carolina but too much was too much.... Do someone remember that game in Baton Rouge against the Dolphins ? It was as ugly as ever !!

This season, here was my approach :

1. We got a rookie coach, not sure he was the best pick but well I'm no NFL GM. No more Haslett, finally ! POSITIVE

2. Ok, we pick Brees and get rid off Brooks (and I was a big Brooks fan before last season). At least a QB, if healthy, that can complete more than 60% and make smart decision on a weekly basis. POSITIVE

3. We draft Bush ! Cool it will bring exitment to the Dome. POSITIVE

Then the roster gets a bit a major lift and we get rdy for the season. Pre-season is not bright and some of our SR member are alrdy saying that the sky is falling. Well, I dont. I still think that by week 5/6 we'll have a team.

Well, it's week 10 and we are 6-3 !! I take week after week. Each week brings me excitement, Colston there, Bush here, Brees, Grant.... Each Week I'm watching good football form my Saints.

All those words for having one of the best offensive group in the past years.... finally, we do have one producing !! It's exciting !!!

Sincerely, this season, each win is a bonus for me. That pittsburgh game was exciting and not a crushing, devastating loss... I was really more ****** off by the loss at Home against the Ravens.

We have a pretty good team coming off a 3-13 season. No one would have wanted to come play for the New Orleans Saints a few months back, no count on the FA to look at the crescent city as a possible home.

Next week should be another exciting game. Do u remember thinking this on a weekly basis those past few seasons ? Except maybe for some Falcons-Saints game, Personnaly I dont !

Go saints GO !!!!

Last edited:
I certainly can't disagree with most of your points but the bar has been raised and I think it would be a "bad" season if they stumbled and failed to maintain their current level of excellence.

I agree 100 %

I really like the way this team is playing, even if they still have a few problems to correct. The improvement over last year is stunning !

Did you guys notice that we scored 229 points this season !!! last year we had 235 in 16 games !!!

Well, our D is about the same lol 197 after 9 games (last year 398 in 16 games)

I agree with your post. Most everyone has to be surprised at the level of play
that the Saints have maintaned through the season so far. I don't believe the
bar needs to be raised to high at this time. Reason being, I think this team is
playing close to what they can, considering the youth of some of these players,
amount of new players, & new coaching staff. The offense is getting better, but
the defense needs a couple of playmakers at key positions to take the next step.
All in all I'm very excited what Payton has been able to get out of these guys.

I totally agree that this season is already a success. Not saying i won't be very disapointed if we don't make the playoffs, but i wasn't expecting us playing this well this year.

I admit i had a lot of doubts about Payton and some of his discisions and certain players before the season started.

My biggest concern was the Offensive and Defensive lines. I thought the O-line was going to be horrible with our best OT moving and an often injured Center and RT starting. Not to mention a back up guard (Nesbit) and a rookie starting at guard.

I also had doubt's about Drew's shoulder being ready for the season and Deuce's knee.

I had doubt's about Bush. I knew he would be a good receiver and return man but not so much at running the ball.

Who didn't have doubt's about not one but THREE new LB's. With run support being our weakest spot on defense, all these new LB's could not do well being thrown together.

D-line. With two great pass rushing DE's and no DT's i wasn't sure what our D-line would be capable of. Thanks to the addition of Hollis Thomas, our D-line has been much improved.

The secondary was a position i wasn't to concernd with until the season started. I though Bullocks would be the ball hawk he showed last season but has been letting a lot of deep ball be completed. Mike and Freddie have been ok but not great. I don't blame them for any of our losses but they have a lot of room to improve to help the defense. Harper, well no one really knew what we were going to get with him but he played great until his season ending injury and i look forward to seeing him next year.

With all those doubts going into the season, i think this team has really out done themselves and i could not be happier. Even though we have lost three games, two of those games were down to the wire nail bitters and we had the opportunity to win. The Ravens game, we just beat ourselves. But the biggest difference is the ability for this team to stay in and compete in every game. They DO NOT give up like in later years. With Payton as the Head Coach, i look forward to many years of seeing this team be great.

I wanted two things from the saints at the beginning of the season:

1) To stop losing games by themselves. The most frustrating thing of the Haslett era was seeing the saints give away games with costly turnovers.

2) Some elements of consistency. My other frustration with the previous administration was getting a great win against a powerhouse, followed by defeat to bad teams like Detroit, Green Bay, etc.

I thought that we will win 5 games this season. We surpassed that. But more importantly:

A) Even with 3 defeats, we know we can beat anybody is we play to our standards. We haven't been destroyed yet by any rival. This season when losing I have the feeling that we can come back, and that is a great feeling.

B) You can see the coaches hand. The team is disciplined, creative, and able to adjust. We have not seeing this in years.

C) To play in the Dome is a factor now. Haslett's team were better on the road. If these saints can the home field advantage, then will be able to compete for years to come.

All of your posts are good, good topic.

Prior to the season I felt if we could double last years total and win 6 I'd be happy.

I'm happy with that.

I once posted on a thread related to this topic ( what would convince you we were going to be better? ) I wanted some red zone scoring of TDs. It seemed we had a dog of a time with this last year.

I'm happy with our performance.

I've worried too, LOL, that we are doing too good.

I remember reading about a conversation between Jim Mora Sr and Jim Mora Jr. after Atl went to the SB in his first (I think) year.

Something like: You won too fast. You need to build your record each year and make the SB in your third or fourth year, not the first one.

After that, I didn't want to win too fast. Sounds crazy to you? Me too.

Once again, I hope this came out right!

ddd

I don't know guys the way we started the season I don't thik this can be a sucess unless we finish the way we started. Forget the playoffs I hope we get in adn make some noise but the major thing to me is comming to play each week. Cincy better look out because we should put a lot of pressure on Palmer if we want a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom