I am going to alexandria in a week and want some input (1 Viewer)

my other half is asking about voodoo shops...dont know if it is a smart move but it is the question i was asked about..any suggestions?

my other half is asking about voodoo shops...dont know if it is a smart move but it is the question i was asked about..any suggestions?
voodoo shops in north louisiana?
man, i don't know how to break it to you but louisiana and new orleans are 2 very different things
the places you're talking about, think of them as arkansas with some french sounding cities

great info...looks like plans changed a little...i am going to ferriday via monroe....so if you all have any suggestions on this route let me know

thanks all

Ferriday is home to the Ferriday Fireball, Jerry Lee Lewis, and there is a Jerry Lee Lewis museum there. I've only passed through Ferriday once and didn't have time to stop. But if I ever go back, I'm going to that museum.

voodoo shops in north louisiana?
man, i don't know how to break it to you but louisiana and new orleans are 2 very different things
the places you're talking about, think of them as arkansas with some french sounding cities

To be fair, I'm sure North LA has some stuff worth doing, but it is a completely different culture from New Orleans.

And, as far as "voodoo shops" it's not like there are many in New Orleans either and what does exist are more or less just tourist traps selling stuff that is supposed to be legit voodoo stuff. But, there isn't much of the old creole voodoo stuff left in New Orleans. The one exception is probably votive candles with saints on them, but I think that's really more Santeria than actual voodoo and they mostly still exist because of their ties to Catholicism, not voodoo.

To be fair, I'm sure North LA has some stuff worth doing, but it is a completely different culture from New Orleans.

And, as far as "voodoo shops" it's not like there are many in New Orleans either and what does exist are more or less just tourist traps selling stuff that is supposed to be legit voodoo stuff. But, there isn't much of the old creole voodoo stuff left in New Orleans. The one exception is probably votive candles with saints on them, but I think that's really more Santeria than actual voodoo and they mostly still exist because of their ties to Catholicism, not voodoo.

Lafayette , Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the places to be in Louisiana. No argument.

But being from North Louisiana, I am bothered by some peoples south of I-90 arrogance.

I deleted a post about this because I thought I was being rude.

Lafayette , Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the places to be in Louisiana. No argument.

But being from North Louisiana, I am bothered by some peoples south of I-90 arrogance.

I deleted a post about this because I thought I was being rude.

I'd argue that it's just the Lafayette and New Orleans areas that are worthwhile, but I'm sure that will really annoy the Baton Rouge folks. :)

Anyway, in all seriousness, my wife is from Alexandria and she pretty much feels like everything north of I-10 in LA is pretty useless. She got out when she started college at LSU and hasn't been back except for the occasion visit and has no desire to ever live there again.

That being said, it really depends on what you are into. If you like hunting, fishing, and other outdoors stuff, then North Louisiana will have its charms for you. But, if you like big city living, urban culture, Cajun culture, and Creole culture, North Louisiana doesn't have much of that to offer. But, it really just depends on what you like. Personally, I grew up in the New Orleans suburbs and now live in the city. I'm not much of an outdoors man. I fished a bit when I was young, but I haven't in a long time, and I have never hunted. And I really don't have much desire to do either although both are available around New Orleans. So, North Louisiana doesn't hold much interest for me.

like my gramps always said, anyone north of Baton Rouge is a Yankee....

My wife is from Alexandria and she pretty much feels like everything north of I-10 in LA is pretty useless. She got out when she started college at LSU and hasn't been back except for the occasion visit and has no desire to ever live there again.

That being said, if really depends on what you are into. If you like hunting, fishing, and other outdoors stuff, then North Louisiana will have its charms for you. But, if you like big city living, urban culture, Cajun culture, and Creole culture, North Louisiana doesn't have much of that to offer. But, it really just depends on what you like. Personally, I grew up in the New Orleans suburbs and now live in the city. I'm not much of an outdoors man. I fished a bit when I was young, but I haven't in a long time, and I have never hunted. And I really don't have much desire to do either although both are available around New Orleans. So, North Louisiana doesn't hold much interest for me.

I moved to South Louisiana then California so that should tell you how happy I was in North Louisiana. I was just irritated by a post.

I ran into a few people working offshore and living there (not many) that would dismiss you if you weren't from South Louisiana.

I-90 runs from Seattle to Boston, so south of I-90 includes most of the country. But I agree they are arrogant.

I want to stress it was just a few people. I love South Louisiana and the vast majority were welcoming.

I just was offered a better job in California.

Now that you know I'm a Yankee am I still invited to your Friday night threads?
always but the last one didnt go so well so i am hesitant to make another one.....you know what, i will try again this Friday

always but the last one didnt go so well so i am hesitant to make another one.....you know what, i will try again this Friday

I'll try to be there. I'll bring a nice bottle of wine. Can I bring a date?

I'm planning on asking Sundown out.

Wish me luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom