I am going to alexandria in a week and want some input (1 Viewer)

I've lived all over Louisiana. The key is the Red River.
North of the Red River is predominantly Baptist (think Duck Dynasty, Trace Adkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Terry Bradshaw, Karl Malone, ).
South of the Red River is predominantly Catholic (think True Detective, Wynton Marsalis, Doug Williams, Odell Beckham, Brittany Spears, Ellen DeGeneres).
The two cultures are vastly different.
There is next to nothing on I-49 from Shreveport to Lafayette, with the exception the river front at Natchitoches, a few plantations and the State of Louisiana Mansfield Civil War commemorative area.

Last edited:
thank you all so much for all this info...i am looking forward to this trip and all this info helps me make the most out of my trip...wish i had more time to check out the whole state but it is what it is.

Marsha? I vaguely remember that name but what does that have to do with Sundown?

Hi CCS.

I try to stay out of your way because I sense you have a low tolerance of me.

I’m not sure what I have said to you in the past to give you this impression but if it makes you feel any better, I have a low tolerance of most humans.

I just posted this in jest as you bring up your internet’s wife in the threads and it seemed funny. Nothing personal.

I’m not sure what I have said to you in the past to give you this impression but if it makes you feel any better, I have a low tolerance of most humans.

I just posted this in jest as you bring up your internet’s wife in the threads and it seemed funny. Nothing personal.

I am not offended CCS.

I look forward to your posts.

I knew I had tried your patience a couple of times so I was just trying to show respect.

I've lived all over Louisiana. The key is the Red River.
North of the Red River is predominantly Baptist (think Duck Dynasty, Trace Adkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Terry Bradshaw, Karl Malone, ).
South of the Red River is predominantly Catholic (think True Detective, Wynton Marsalis, Doug Williams, Odell Beckham, Brittany Spears, Ellen DeGeneres).
The two cultures are vastly different.
There is next to nothing on I-49 from Shreveport to Lafayette, with the exception the river front at Natchitoches, a few plantations and the State of Louisiana Mansfield Civil War commemorative area.
when the OP introduced the NLA part of the discussion, i tried to think of a state with more of a divide
Cali certainly has one, but the transition is more gradual
NY is just NYC and the rest - slightly different
Miss. has a similar divide with Jackson being the middle but the difference between north and south is not that different (as compared to La.)

Penn might have a similar east/west divide, but that's all i can think that comes close
anyone????

you know you all can get couples therapy on Dr Phils show...This show is about voodoo, gumbo, and sight seeing!!!! :) i asked for help...PICK A DIFFERENT DOOR!!! heheh...i am just messing...hope you two worked it out..

No Dr. Phil

I've already booked Sundown, CCS, and I for Jerry Springer.

I would watch if I were you.

I'm thinking cat fight.

Or they will both beat the hell out of me.

when the OP introduced the NLA part of the discussion, i tried to think of a state with more of a divide
Cali certainly has one, but the transition is more gradual
NY is just NYC and the rest - slightly different
Miss. has a similar divide with Jackson being the middle but the difference between north and south is not that different (as compared to La.)

Penn might have a similar east/west divide, but that's all i can think that comes close
anyone????
Not in a single state. The Ohio vs Kentucky divide with the Ohio River between is the closest thing I can think of. Totally different worlds with totally different dialects.

Back to Louisiana, the names of my classmates and teachers pretty much explains it.

North Louisiana: Crump, Johnson, Smith, Calloway, Randall, Watson
South Louisiana: Voorhees, Arceneaux, Morace, Marsalis, Hebert (pronounced a-bear)

We moved nine times my first seven years in school. Dad was in newspapers.

The dialects were also distinct, but the message was the same for any new kid on the block:

North Louisiana: "Yew ain't frum aroun hee-ya. We gonna kick yore azz!"
South Louisiana: "Coo, you don be frum aroun he-ah, no. We be kickin you azz, yeah!"

I too have lived around the state. I am touchy about the whole South La vs North La, so I really appreciate the higher form of discourse (cue guido to make a rude remark next :)

Everything about East Tx and Shreveport still holds true since you'll be passing through those areas.

In Ruston, La I like Portico restaurant, and Sundowner (not undead snoopy's wife, i think)

I did think of something you might enjoy. At the Tx-La border there is a small tourist attraction called "Gators and Friends" I've heard it is fun. They've a zipline over a Gator pit.

There is also a Bonnie and Clyde Museum in Gibsland, La. It is worth seeing.

Guido, I have family in upstate NY in Redfield, and there is just as much of a disconnect there as here.

I would also say that same disconnect exists between South Florida and North Florida. Eastern vs Western Washington and Eastern vs Western OR.

In the end, it boils down to any state that has rural vs urban areas geographically spaced will disagree and be culturally different.

No Dr. Phil

I've already booked Sundown, CCS, and I for Jerry Springer.

I would watch if I were you.

I'm thinking cat fight.

Or they will both beat the hell out of me.

@CapitalCitySaint is a lot of things but she isn’t Jerry Springer material so let’s slow it down. You don’t want to get on her bad side!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom