I am in mourning (1 Viewer)

I checked Amazon and those things cost as much as my tv, stereo, and Wii U put together. That hurts!

Can I ask what type of car you drive? Usually people who have an expensive home theater have an expensive car. It's not important really.

Well, maybe it's cheaper to get it fixed? Just a thought.

Lol my last car was a new Genesis G80 but after getting into yet another wreck that wasn't my fault I decided I wanted something more substantial with no note. Picked up a 05 Expedition in July 2019. I

Assuming the driver in the sub is still good (gonna remove the amp and test it tomorrow), I could get a new Sledge amp but that isn't exactly cheap either.

The manufacturer has offered me a small discount as a returning customer, free shipping (weighs 55 pounds so that is good), and will pretty much give me the amp along with it so I can fix this one and sell it locally or keep it. Will probably sell it to offset a good bit of the cost of the new one. Again, assuming I get a new one and that the driver is still good

I just like high quality sound for my music and home theater

What part of it died? Did the woofer itself die or did the amplifier portion die? You can probably swap a woofer or even swap an amplifier if need be.

If you decide to change it out, I am a big fan of the Dayton Ultimax series woofers. I have an Ultimax 18" for my theater system with a 3000 watt iNuke that is incredible.

I will test the driver tomorrow. The amp is definitely dead

The challenge would be finding one to fit since its a cylinder

I will test the driver tomorrow. The amp is definitely dead

The challenge would be finding one to fit since its a cylinder
Don't worry so much about finding an amp to fit in that particular space. You could always leave the plate amp installed and simply run a speaker wire from a separate amplifier into the tube itself. If I were replacing my sub amp now, I would look into the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 amps. They are supposed to sound incredible for a sub-amp and have enough DSP built in to tune how you want.

Don't worry so much about finding an amp to fit in that particular space. You could always leave the plate amp installed and simply run a speaker wire from a separate amplifier into the tube itself. If I were replacing my sub amp now, I would look into the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 amps. They are supposed to sound incredible for a sub-amp and have enough DSP built in to tune how you want.

Moot point....whole thing is fried. I pulled the amp and did a pop test on the driver and I got nothing

Sounds like a TWSS moment.
tenor.gif

So your options are to replace the whole thing with a new subwoofer and amplifier, or replace the woofer in your tube with a new 12" and add a different amplifier, essentially only using the tube enclosure.

My condolences @Dago. How long to subs and amps usually last? My 15 inch Pyramid is still going 20 years later. Amp as well.

No idea. I had a Monster before this one and sold it. From what I have seen. SVS and HSU make the best subs that are a combination of tight (musical) and dig deep for home theater (getting into frequencies that humans can't hear but can be felt) that don't require a mortgage

No idea. I had a Monster before this one and sold it. From what I have seen. SVS and HSU make the best subs that are a combination of tight (musical) and dig deep for home theater (getting into frequencies that humans can't hear but can be felt) that don't require a mortgage

In a way, I have 5 subs in my surround sound. The 15 inch sub is one. My fronts are 15 inch BIC's that get down to 30-35 range which is sub territory. My 8 inch rear Pyramid towers also get down to that 30 range. My rear towers are just as old as my sub. My dad and I built the cabinets for them.

So your options are to replace the whole thing with a new subwoofer and amplifier, or replace the woofer in your tube with a new 12" and add a different amplifier, essentially only using the tube enclosure.

Selling the enclosure and ordered an SVS PC 2000 Pro

I really wouldn't be saving money in installing a comparable driver and amp plus I get an upgraded enclosure and unlimited 5 year warranty plus some other bonuses

In a way, I have 5 subs in my surround sound. The 15 inch sub is one. My fronts are 15 inch BIC's that get down to 30-35 range which is sub territory. My 8 inch rear Pyramid towers also get down to that 30 range. My rear towers are just as old as my sub. My dad and I built the cabinets for them.

I like having smaller towers. Set the sub crossover up at 80hz. Each of my Mistral towers have three 5.25 drivers and a 1 inch tweetervwhich is fine because their best sound is above that frequency

I like having smaller towers. Set the sub crossover up at 80hz. Each of my Mistral towers have three 5.25 drivers and a 1 inch tweetervwhich is fine because their best sound is above that frequency

Well that happened later. I originally started out with an Infinity center channel, the towers but they were fronts, the sub and two Yamaha 3 way 8 inches. Then I bought another pair of Yamaha's so that I could replace the center channel and add a rear center to make 6.1. And finally I decided to upgrade my fronts plus add another speaker to make 7.1 so I bought the BIC's to become my new front with the towers moving to the rear position. All my speaker's are 3 way with the bics having I think a 6 inch mid range and a 2-3 inch tweeter. I know that there are much better speakers out there but for the price and the size of my room it's great for me.

Damn, my surround receiver is 13 years old and still kicking.

My most overlooked component was receiver. I had a couple Devons and Onkyos and thought I was doing good since those are big time brands. Did some research last year and reviewers were raving about this Sony 7.2 that went for $500. I did some shopping and found an open box with full warranty at Best Buy for $350 and jumped on it. I was blown away by how much more musical and precise the sound was....I had no idea what I was missing out on

Currently I am using a 5.1 setup. My living room is wide and the Mistral surrounds are omnidirectional so I didn't see much use in going 7.1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom