I am not as concerned about the defense as I should be (1 Viewer)

I told you that you were on point. You know football, rlemieux.

I guess when you want the answer, it's always best to get it from the source, and what better source for last week than Willie Parker...

Perhaps all the "sky is falling" fans (and I use that word fans lightly) will go back into hibernation until the next time our defense goes from top 10 to terrible, in just 3 hours on a Sunday.

Last edited:
I think this is a great point but this means we need to tell MM to stay outside. MM on atleast one of those plays had no WR on his side and just got lost inside and when he realised what happened ran down Parker. We are a smart D not an extremely talented one. Payton will get these guys playing in correct position
Yes, on the second 70plus yrd run, McKenzie got lost inside and didnt seal the edge...thats what happens when your out of position and like Craft, blow your assignment, you cant do your job and someone elses, stick to what your supposed to do.

Yes, on the second 70plus yrd run, McKenzie got lost inside and didnt seal the edge...thats what happens when your out of position and like Craft, blow your assignment, you cant do your job and someone elses, stick to what your supposed to do.

Thats the thing, if the players just trust their assignments 9/10 times they will be in the right spot to make a play (they also have to go a step further and make that play). Football is fundimentals, we have smart enough players that they understand the basics. In years past our football intellegence scared most of us, I don't think we can say that this year. Yeah, Simoneau doesn't run as fast as some linebackers, isn't physically gifted as a guy like Ray Lewis, but he understands that as long as he follows his assignments he will be where he needs to be.

I am not in anyway saying we don't have problem area's on the defense. However, I think the players are smart enough to mask those problems and not get out of position.

Key to the game: Don't turn the ball over, the defense isn't good enough to over come the short field. Make every drive count. If your not scoring then drives should eat up the clock, keep their offense off the field (its a pretty simple concept). Our defense is going to give up 1-2 big plays (thats almost a given), but as long as the offense doesn't contribute (fumbles, INT's, penalties, short field, etc.) we have a very good chance of winning games.

Yeah, Simoneau doesn't run as fast as some linebackers, isn't physically gifted as a guy like Ray Lewis, but he understands that as long as he follows his assignments he will be where he needs to be.

Mark Simoneau has 19 tackles and 16 assists in 10 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where he needs to be is on the bench. There's no way that is starting MLB numbers.

That's under 2 solo tackles a game..................C'mon

I think it's more, he's just not a good MLB......

Your right, but he is a servicable one. He isn't a playmaker (maybe we will get one next year) but he isn't Courney Watson either that is constantly making mistakes, blowing assignement, getting out of position.

I, as most here, had high hopes for Fincher (prototypical size, speed) but he just wasn't cutting it. I'd rather have a Mark Simoneau out there not making plays, than another MLBer who is more athletically gifted giving plays up.

Mark Simoneau has 19 tackles and 16 assists in 10 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where he needs to be is on the bench. There's no way that is starting MLB numbers.

That's under 2 solo tackles a game..................C'mon

Just because a player isn't getting the stat's doesn't mean he isn't conbributing to the play.

Like I said, there are far better out there, but IMHO he is the best option we have and obviously the Saints coaching staff thinks so.

Jason Craft is truely bad. Fred my not the the most capable corner, but he is worlds better than Craft. I cringe everytime I see Craft matched up one on one with a WR.

I totally agree... craft not only struggles in one on one coverage, but he blew the coverages on the two of the TD passes

now we kno why reggie would always break it to the outside, he prolly was killing thangs in practice, but only if young Reggie could play our D

Your right, but he is a servicable one. He isn't a playmaker (maybe we will get one next year) but he isn't Courney Watson either that is constantly making mistakes, blowing assignement, getting out of position.

I, as most here, had high hopes for Fincher (prototypical size, speed) but he just wasn't cutting it. I'd rather have a Mark Simoneau out there not making plays, than another MLBer who is more athletically gifted giving plays up.

Once again, you know football, rlemieux. You're absolutely right about Simoneau. We soon forget what we were facing, had Simoneau not been brought in when he was: Going through a season with Fincher as our starting MLB?

Good kid, just not a starting MLB... Or Clark - great for third and short, or goal line, but not efficient in pass coverage.

I'd say under the circumstances, and with Simoneau having to learn this system on the fly, Payton and company should be commended with the Simoneau pickup...

Rest assured, a true starting MLB is on their short list for 2007.

Last edited:
Once again, you know football, rlemieux. You're absolutely right about Simoneau. We soon forget what we were facing, had Simoneau not been brought in when he was: Going through a season with Fincher as our starting MLB?

Good kid, just not a starting MLB... Or Clark - great for third and short, or goal line, but not efficient in pass coverage.

I'd say under the circumstances, and with Simoneau having to learn this system on the fly, Payton and company should be commended with the Simoneau pickup...

Rest assured, a true starting MLB is on their short list for 2007.

As far as Payton being commended for brining in Simoneau, he actually said after the deal was done that he made the trade for the pick, not for Simoneau. And, i never said Simoneau wasn't our best MLB,but I did say he's not good, which he isn't.

An average MLB could luck into 4 tackles a game.

As far as Payton being commended for brining in Simoneau, he actually said after the deal was done that he made the trade for the pick, not for Simoneau. And, i never said Simoneau wasn't our best MLB,but I did say he's not good, which he isn't.

An average MLB could luck into 4 tackles a game.

Not questioning that at all, Chi Town Saint. The fact that we got Simoneau as langiappe, and he's been more serviceable than any other MLB we have, is why I commend Sean. Coach Payton could have just as easily opted not to take Simoneau as part of the deal, or cut him immediately.

The fact is, Sean knew we were weak at MLB with the season starting, and the prospects of getting Donnie were not good. He opted to see if Simoneau could pick up our system quickly and be more serviceable than the other two options - Fincher and Clark.

He's proven thus far to that he is more serviceable. I don't think he's a starting MLB either, but he's the most complete one that we've got right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom