i am sick of inside the nfl on hbo (1 Viewer)

picnicwithfish

Geaux SAINTS!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
it seems like every week they have a five minute conversation on race. the entire race conversation just makes me sick. this week's show featured larry jonhnson. in his interview, he basically said that no black player can really respond to a white coach without feeling like he is getting bossed around. basically, he finally respects who he is playing for, because he is black, and that is the diference in his play this year. what kind of b.s. is that. i am so sick of this stupidity. racism will never die as long as people use it as a crutch to make excuses for themselves.

Jay Black

Banned
Reaction score
i agree 100% and im black

I really wish everyone would stop using the race card

How can we as a society move towards ending racism

if we keep spliting ourselves up by race

llama

Very Banned
Reaction score
LJ is not representative of every NFL player and that packaged & edited interview should not be seen as a yardstick of reality. He's allowed his ignorance and beliefs just as we all are.

OP
picnicwithfish

picnicwithfish

Geaux SAINTS!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
race is a weekly conversation on this show. it mostly revolves around there not being enough black head coaches. they took it to another level with this interview. makes me as mad as a saints loss to the falcons.

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
Don't it just break your heart when multi-millionaires whine about how rough they got it?

Bundok Saint

All-Weather Fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of race, anyone catch Michael Irvin's idiotic comments on Dan Patrick's radio show last week? He basically said that Tony Romo's athleticism is due to him having black ancestry. He apologized a couple days ago and said he was joking, but these are the kinds of comments that got Jimmy "The Greek" fired back in the day.

Michael Irvin Says Tony Romo's Athleticism Is Due to Black Ancestry

and his apology

Michael Irvin says he's sorry for his comments on Dan Patrick's national radio show

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Michael Irvin=Idiot

guidry23

Reaction score
Michael Irvin=Idiot

He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete," Irvin said of Romo. "But he is. He is, man. I don't know if some brother down in that line somewhere, I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."

Did he really say that... what is he talking about

i am starting to think that that crackpipe was his and not his friends... yeah right like anyone believed that anyway

hardhead233

In Bresus we trust
Reaction score
Yea I white man can't possibly be an athlete, and whoever said this is about on par with Jimmy the Greek is correct, didn't he something along the lines of "well black athletes aren't as smart" or something like that...Irvin's comments are the same just the exact opposite...White people=smart but not athletic, black people=not smart but athletic....Sterotypes are pretty ridiculous no matter who's saying them....:dunno:

and yes Irvin is a complete idiot/bully(he's always trying to bully TJ and Jaws) I don't even know why he still has a job.....

Penguin

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Why are we hating on the HBO show for something Larry Johnson said?

I agree, HBO only brings up the topic because some dumb *** athlete, commentator or coach says something stupid.

HouDat

Banned
Reaction score
Jimmy the Greek attributed the dominance of the black athlete to "selective breeding" practices with regards to slaves. The "bigger/stronger/faster were bred (by slave owners) with the bigger/stronger/faster", according to JtG.

It's an interesting theory - whether or not it holds water, who knows? But it unnecessarily brought up an unpleasant part of history, and he was punished for it.

saintfan-n-alex

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
i saw the segment, DV did say some stuff about LJ that wasnt too flattering, but LJ position about coaches was suprising to me - i dont see his point though, in pro sport your coach (or manager) is your boss - you have to respect the position, if you cant respect the man.

Chris carted reaction to Dan Marino's statement was also suprising - maybe LJ psition is shared by many

boxerharley

Very Banned
Reaction score
that show hasnt been worth a crap in 5 years, and they show every game from the weekend but our's, I finally quit watching it last year and havent looked back.... Bob costas single handedly ruined that show for me...

saints225

Reaction score
Jimmy the Greek attributed the dominance of the black athlete to "selective breeding" practices with regards to slaves. The "bigger/stronger/faster were bred (by slave owners) with the bigger/stronger/faster", according to JtG.

It's an interesting theory - whether or not it holds water, who knows? But it unnecessarily brought up an unpleasant part of history, and he was punished for it.

Jimmy the Greek was punished for his comment because it was an idiotic comment not based on logic. It's not even a legitimate theory. The reason you see more black athletes is that for years it was seen as the only way out of poverty. Especially when you consider that black people for the most part of the 20th century weren't given access to a decent education and even those who had a college degree were still forced to work as unskilled laborers. Why do you think there are so many European players in the NBA now? Is it because white players from Europe are more athletic than white players from the U.S.? I would think that it's reasonable to think that the reason has more to do with economics and the value of education in the U.S., especially amongst the caucasian race here. In Europe, especially Eastern Europe, playing basketball is an inexpensive way for people to try to raise above poverty and make enough money to take care of their family. If JtG's theory made any kind of sense, why are there so few black athletes in hockey, tennis, or even rugby? Economics is the reason why. You can make a basketball goal out of a piece of plywood and an old bike rim. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because you can play with anything you can kick.

Now when it comes to HBO talking about racial issues in the NFL, why shouldn't they? How many black owners are there? How many black coaches? How many black scouts, assistants, GM's, etc... They feeling is that if black people can play football, why aren't allowed in the other roles that go along with football that don't involve their athletic ability. Jimmy the Greek's statement about black people seemingly echoes the sentiments that NFL team owners must have that we're good for our athletic ability and that we aren't smart enough to fill the other roles necessary to run a successful team. Are black people, in the owner's eyes, merely race horses, bred to race and run on command? Why shouldn't Larry Johnson have any feelings about how he perceives his race affects his profession? It is true that black coaches have to succeed twice as much as white coaches or they're shown the door much quicker. Look at Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. He was run out of town after turning the worst team in NFL around into yearly competitors. Jon Gruden came in the next year and was lucky enough to win a Superbowl on Dungy's hard work. What has Gruden done since? He's been coaching, for the most part, a losing team for years now and his job isn't on the line. Another example is the lowest paid head coach in the NFL, Lovie Smith. Jim Haslett had one good year and there was a rush to extend his contract. L. Smith has turned around a losing Bears team yet the Bear's organization seemingly believes it was luck and not coaching ability that has their team competitive once again. On the college level, look at Notre Dame and Tyrone Willingham. Willingham was brought in to save face after their first choice turned out to be a fraud. Willingham immeadiately had a winning season with mediocre talent. The following 2 seasons, the lack of talent and young players kept Notre Dame from having a winning record. Notre Dame fired Willingham and bring in Weiss and after only HALF of a winning season (with Willingham's recruits non the less), give him a 10 year deal worth up to $40 million. It's for reasons like this that black athletes still feel the affects of racism and are starting to speak up. I know alot of people still aren't comfortable with dealing with racial issues, but if Larry Johnson and other players are feeling that the playing field still isn't level, then they have the right and responsibility to stand up and speak out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom