i am sick of inside the nfl on hbo (1 Viewer)

Wow, I didn't think that my passing reference to Jimmy the Greek would lead to a debate on selective breeding and genetics, but I must admit it is interesting.

However, can we all just agree that Michael Irvin is an idiot for suggesting that Romo's athleticism can only be attributed to black ancestry? :D

Natural selection, no, 240 years is much too short of time. Artificial selection for specific traits (what we are talking about) can take place in in just 3 or 4 generations.

I elaborated somewhat further in my discussions. I don;t think you can create a vastly superior athlete in a few generations. Perhaps temorarily if you have 4 generations, but what happens afterwards (slavery). When people "freely" choose their mates? Again, we stilldo not know how pervasive the practice was.

Apart from this discussion is the psychological need to choose an ideal mate ensuring the survval of your "genes." In Africa, there would just as much need for a two individuals to choose a strong mate. It wasn't any easier living in Africa. It was important to choose a mental and physical strong mate. How much of a difference could really be created in 3 or 4 generations?

I feel too many people are look at this issue in a vacuum. The fact, if you accept it, hardly lead tothe conclusion upon closer review. There are far more factors at play here.

Furthermore, we think of athletics, you cannot think only of American Sports. More and more, we are seeing Europeans come into the NBA. Also, Many World Sports stars, lke their American counterparts, come from the poor and disadvantage segments of their society. This is far more compelling theory for while certain individuals excel at athletics.

Wow, I didn't think that my passing reference to Jimmy the Greek would lead to a debate on selective breeding and genetics, but I must admit it is interesting.

However, can we all just agree that Michael Irvin is an idiot for suggesting that Romo's athleticism can only be attributed to black ancestry? :D

Yep, and he should be fired, for his racist, idiotic comments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom