I am sick of people letting their pets roam. (1 Viewer)

Throw it in the garbage immediately!!!

I think start out with the dogs in the hood that are friendly and open to meeting other dogs and avoid the others. Is your dog well behaved?

Yes, he's just sometimes skittish with the larger dogs, especially when he was younger. He's a bit better about it now. He's fine at the dog park. I think he's a little more guarded on the leash. As for the retractable leash, it does have a lock on it, so I can keep him close by when walking. I only let him roam a bit to find a spot to do his business. We've had him since he was a week old and we have no regrets. He's been a great pet for our family.

Walking with Gumbo, my 75lb Amstaff rescue, in the neighborhood, we see a lot of dogs and people. Most interactions are really good. One house, though . . . guy has two little dachshunds that he ties up to a stake while he is working in the yard. Twice, we walked by and these two little shirthead dogs go crazy and pull out the stake and rush us. First time, I got in front of Gumbo and the owner was able to catch their cable before they got to us. Gumbo was cool and didn't bark at them or become aggressive. The second time, they got right up on us and were at my feet before the owner got control. Gumbo started barking but he chilled and we walked away although I could tell he was tensed up over it. My biggest fear is that another dog will start a scrap with him. If he injures another dog, he will be labeled regardless of which one started it. He is a big teddy bear, but, as my daughter says, he could hurt some feelings if he really wanted to.

Yes, he's just sometimes skittish with the larger dogs, especially when he was younger. He's a bit better about it now. He's fine at the dog park. I think he's a little more guarded on the leash. As for the retractable leash, it does have a lock on it, so I can keep him close by when walking. I only let him roam a bit to find a spot to do his business. We've had him since he was a week old and we have no regrets. He's been a great pet for our family.

Well to be fair, many smaller dogs are a little skittish with the larger dogs so that's normal - especially if the larger dogs are high energy. If he's getting along at the dog park, I'd say he's being properly socialized and knows the drill.

Walking with Gumbo, my 75lb Amstaff rescue, in the neighborhood, we see a lot of dogs and people. Most interactions are really good. One house, though . . . guy has two little dachshunds that he ties up to a stake while he is working in the yard. Twice, we walked by and these two little shirthead dogs go crazy and pull out the stake and rush us. First time, I got in front of Gumbo and the owner was able to catch their cable before they got to us. Gumbo was cool and didn't bark at them or become aggressive. The second time, they got right up on us and were at my feet before the owner got control. Gumbo started barking but he chilled and we walked away although I could tell he was tensed up over it. My biggest fear is that another dog will start a scrap with him. If he injures another dog, he will be labeled regardless of which one started it. He is a big teddy bear, but, as my daughter says, he could hurt some feelings if he really wanted to.

The little dogs are the biggest offenders!

I especially dislike butt crevices who think it's cute that their dog barks incessantly. Shirt is annoying. And shouting to "stop barking" or "be quiet" or "stop" eleventy million times clearly is not getting the message across so now you have a yappy dog and an owner who keeps repeating themselves.

In the Portland the trend is restaurants being pet friendly. Nothing like trying eat dinner with some hypsters's stinky animal farting up wind from you.

The little dogs are the biggest offenders!

I especially dislike butt crevices who think it's cute that their dog barks incessantly. Shirt is annoying. And shouting to "stop barking" or "be quiet" or "stop" eleventy million times clearly is not getting the message across so now you have a yappy dog and an owner who keeps repeating themselves.

Lol, what's weird for us is our dog rarely barks. He'll whine when we get him ready for a walk, and occasionally growl when animals pass by, but I rarely hear him bark. I can't remember the last time he actually barked on a walk.

We even try to encourage a little occasional barking when we play with him. I guess I got lucky, idk.

Speaking of pets. What is the deal with everyone bringing their dogs into restaurants, department stores. I was in academy the other day and at least 3 dogs in the store. I love dogs, I have two. but would never dream of taking them shopping, out to eat etc. I don't get it, but hey.

Speaking of pets. What is the deal with everyone bringing their dogs into restaurants, department stores. I was in academy the other day and at least 3 dogs in the store. I love dogs, I have two. but would never dream of taking them shopping, out to eat etc. I don't get it, but hey.
It's mad annoying. Especially as a guide dog raiser. Nothing worse than being in the store working with an actual service dog and having Karen and her stupid chihuahua growling and barking at my dog in the middle of Target and then having Karen and her husband staring like "oh that's why he's barking". Birch, if you don't get your dog and and get the hell on!!!

PSA - YOUR DOGS DON'T NEED TO GO WITH YOU EVERYWHERE.

Another pet peeve is watching people stare at the service dogs, then bug them. They're service dogs, let them do their job. Unless I'm invited, I don't bother the dog or the person being guided.

I'm deaf and use sign language. People stare at my wife and I like we're crazy sometimes. Dood, we are normal people like everyone else here. Can we have a conversation in peace?

have you not heard the term "comfort animal"?

have you not heard the term "comfort animal"?

Comfort animals are not service animals and TBH people with anxiety and panic don't need a dog. All they are doing is misplacing their anxiety and panic onto a dog who then becomes anxious and stressed himself. I'd like to throat punch people who are like "it's my emotional support animal".

I’m going to address the cat side of the problem.
There are way too many outdoor and/or feral cats. They kill EVERYTHING. They completely decimate entire populations of birds in an area. You want a cat, keep it inside or put a bell collar on it. Don’t get me started on idiots breeding and releasing cats into parks.

We went to the see the Da Vinci exhibit at the Nature and Science Museum a few months ago and encountered a couple of women pushing two dogs in a stroller and carrying a third. Because dogs need culture too?

Attachments

• 31163E92-CF5D-4DCA-99C3-F2C857B38FA9.jpeg
    31163E92-CF5D-4DCA-99C3-F2C857B38FA9.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 10
We went to the see the Da Vinci exhibit at the Nature and Science Museum a few months ago and encountered a couple of women pushing two dogs in a stroller and carrying a third. Because dogs need culture too?

Could be pups? They don't do well being left alone for long periods.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom