I am so ******* tired of Frida Kahlo (1 Viewer)

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is too much. Everywhere you go in México, even my home State which has its very unique culture and history from the rest of the country, the image of Frida Kahlo is everywhere. I don't know who decided to canonize her, but it has gotten out of hand. This year, to celebrate her birthday, the Mexican government put up this monstrosity in the Zócalo in the D.F. (Mexican D.C.). Yes, that's a ginormous representation of a dead Frida Kahlo, with her eyes open.

What triggered me, though, I went to my local supermarket here in NC to get some fried chicken, and a woman in front of me - obviously not Mexican - had a Frida Kahlo t-shirt.

frida_kahlo.jpg

Bay St. Louis, MS has yearly Frido Kahlo Day, oddly enough coming up just next weekend.

I feared this would be one of those instances in life where I would have to Google someone....only to find out that it was pretty much inexcusable that I've existed in life up to this point without being thoroughly familiar (to be clear: I've seen that image of her a few times, but just never knew there was a significant relevance).

So I Googled.....skimmed her Wiki page....and (a) was perfectly ok with my lack of familiarity and (b) still didn't care.

I feared this would be one of those instances in life where I would have to Google someone....only to find out that it was pretty much inexcusable that I've existed in life up to this point without being thoroughly familiar (to be clear: I've seen that image of her a few times, but just never knew there was a significant relevance).

So I Googled.....skimmed her Wiki page....and (a) was perfectly ok with my lack of familiarity and (b) still didn't care.
i mean she's legit one of the great artists of the 20th century

You must not like Salma Hayek and missed her in the film called "Frida".

This is too much. Everywhere you go in México, even my home State which has its very unique culture and history from the rest of the country, the image of Frida Kahlo is everywhere. I don't know who decided to canonize her, but it has gotten out of hand. This year, to celebrate her birthday, the Mexican government put up this monstrosity in the Zócalo in the D.F. (Mexican D.C.). Yes, that's a ginormous representation of a dead Frida Kahlo, with her eyes open.

What triggered me, though, I went to my local supermarket here in NC to get some fried chicken, and a woman in front of me - obviously not Mexican - had a Frida Kahlo t-shirt.

frida_kahlo.jpg

Who?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom