I can’t seem to get into the draft this season like normal due to saints not having a 1st rd pick (1 Viewer)

ChopperSaint

Official gum of champions
Reaction score
Most years I can tell you something about all the top 100 prospects in the draft.
This season I probably could not name 15 1st round picks .

Just never got my mojo to watch the combines , watch film , etc this season due to the saints not having a 1st round pick .

It’s going to be strange watching a draft and not knowing half the names being picked in the 1st round .

That normally does not happen for me until at least the 5th round .

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Zach: "WOW! The Saints . . . I am still not believing I'm saying this . . . have traded THIS PLAYER to THAT TEAM for a First round pick this year AND a First Round pick next year!"

Bobby: "I just, I mean, you have to, CERTAINLY it means, what exactly does it mean to you, Christian?"

"Christian: "Oooooh-rah! Marine Corps! Hellayeah!"

Zach: "Exactly!"

Most years I can tell you something about all the top 100 prospects in the draft.

Just never got my mojo to watch the combines , watch film , etc this season due to the saints not having a 1st round pick .

It’s going to be strange watching a draft and not knowing half the names being picked in the 1st round .

I'm excited about the start of the season, but like you, it's kind of hard to study draft prospects like I normally do, when we don't pick until #62. So this year's draft, becomes less of a matter of who we should pick, and becomes more of a matter of who's still available?

Another thing that kind of takes some of the excitement away is the fact that our team is loaded. In the past, I even got excited about UDFA's, because everyone had a chance to make the team. But having a loaded roster is certainly not a bad problem to have, even if it lowers your excitement for the draft. Look at last years draft, we drafted some really good players, but because we were loaded with talent, a lot of them wound up playing elsewhere. For instance, I really liked Natrell Jamerson, but we had plenty of good safety's. It's probably worked out for him though, he played at Wisconsin, and now he's with the Packers. So, he's probably pretty happy about that. It'll be tough for a new guy to make this team. Any new guys will have to really be good to crack this roster. So, there is less excitement for whatever the draft may bring. But still, I'll be watching for sure. Someone may surprise us.

Last edited:

Same here. I'm usually looking at tons of scouting reports, grades and mocks. This year, no interest. Seems like a waste. I'll just read up on the players we pick.

It could also have something to do with our depth. I don't expect to get a contributer from the draft.

I find this strange because our 2nd-5th round picks have been the best in the Payton era

M. Thomas
Kamara
Graham
Armstead
J. Evans
R. Harper
Tracy Porter
C. Nicks

Better than any 1st rounders other than Cameron Jordan.

I got nothing; I usually watch the all star games and combine. I can only name 3 prospects this year, just can’t get into it.

I will be away from home (in Lake Tahoe and then California) for the entire draft. The little Cali. town I will be staying in doesn't even have a sports bar. I sure hope my BIL and SIL have cable or satellite.

Agree. Normally, draft day is one of my favorite sports-days. Not so this year when my interest in and knowledge of this draft are substantially more limited compared to what they are in other years. Of course, we had this in 2012, didn't we.

I will be watching or listening in the first two rounds hoping to hear that we did not trade up into the first or upper second rounds, giving up future draft picks. Yes, it has gotten that bad.

We hopefully will be able to pick a good player at 62. But I am not optimistic about other picks. Since 2007, the organization has not done well drafting after the third round. And last year's draft after the third round was unacceptably bad.

Same here, but this year after the rip off no call and not having a first round pick it really makes no sense to me to waste the time studying the board. Here on the east coast it will be a good thing because I can go to be early and not waste my time staying up till midnight. I couldn't name you one playing in the draft this year, where other years I knew most of the first night players.

I will be watching the second night though, hoping we get a real good value player.

I will be interested to see if Raiders and Cardinals make the wrong moves by drafting a QB this year...

Man this is the wrong year to do that. This draft is deep in our positions of need.

Also something nobody thinks about. Teams that lack top picks tend to pick better in the later rounds.

Why you may ask?

When you think about it, Front offices in a normal draft year have so many prospects to evaluate in so little time. So if a team has 3 or 4 picks in the top 100. They are going to spend more time focusing on the too 100 players on the board.

Where as a team like the saints this year can really broaden there scouting department and focus on the sleeper prospects in the draft.

Not to say they dont focus on the top prospects as well. They could fall in love with a top prospect. Like they have in years past, and go get him.

I promise you, they have focused more time this year in the later round guys, then say a year when they have more picks in the top half of the draft.

This is a great year to do that bc from what I have seen with many later round prospects in this draft is that, there could potentially be a lot of gems in our positions of need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom