I can’t seem to get into the draft this season like normal due to saints not having a 1st rd pick (1 Viewer)

I find this strange because our 2nd-5th round picks have been the best in the Payton era

M. Thomas
Kamara
Graham
Armstead
J. Evans
R. Harper
Tracy Porter
C. Nicks

Better than any 1st rounders other than Cameron Jordan.
Porter and Harper were not better than Cooks and Ingram, imho

I'm pragmatic about paying the price for all the trading up we've done these past several years. While I accept the wisdom of BPA I'm most intrigued in whether the Saints take Alec Ingold at some point and whether they find a TE of the future in a deep draft for them. I think the meetings we've held with prospects indicate some additional depth in the LB corps and/or to keep bolstering the ST coverage units.

So plenty to watch for.

I love the draft, especially when the Saints have a pick in the first 3 rounds, or even multiple early selections. What makes me nervous about this draft particularly is that I know the Saints will pull off a trade. Considering our lack of assets for this year, I hope that we are not mortgaging next year's draft future with whatever we decide to do.

I'm excited about the start of the season, but like you, it's kind of hard to study draft prospects like I normally do, when we don't pick until #62. So this year's draft, becomes less of a matter of who we should pick, and becomes more of a matter of who's still available?

Another thing that kind of takes some of the excitement away is the fact that our team is loaded. In the past, I even got excited about UDFA's, because everyone had a chance to make the team. But having a loaded roster is certainly not a bad problem to have, even if it lowers your excitement for the draft. Look at last years draft, we drafted some really good players, but because we were loaded with talent, a lot of them wound up playing elsewhere. For instance, I really liked Natrell Jamerson, but we had plenty of good safety's. It's probably worked out for him though, he played at Wisconsin, and now he's with the Packers. So, he's probably pretty happy about that. It'll be tough for a new guy to make this team. Any new guys will have to really be good to crack this roster. So, there is less excitement for whatever the draft may bring. But still, I'll be watching for sure. Someone may surprise us.
I really believe this is a misconception about our team. We have good starters, but not loaded by any means. I believe the only two positions we could have afforded an injury was at LB or Corner.
When we started losing people late in the season, it really showed. Rankins, Armstead, Bushrod, Ginn, etc. Hopefully in the draft we can get good depth so that we can sustain injury if something did happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom