I confess - I'm a Drew Brees junkie. (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ralph Malbrough / "The Forecast"

We’re halfway home on what has been nothing short of spectacular season, so I figured it would be fun to look back at my training camp preview and see how some of the questions I asked at that time have been answered thus far.

QUESTION 1:

"Will Drew Brees' shoulder be ready to go?

The one headline I do not want to see on ESPN.com or in the red breaking news box on WWLTV.com is, "Brees’ shoulder sore, will miss practice and need tests." The Saints have a new coach and new system. Brees needs to be practicing. Good lord, I'm dizzy just thinking of it. Let’s never speak of this again."

Brees has been off the charts. He’s thrown for 2,206 yards and 14 touchdowns, has embraced his role as a team leader since day one and is the face of the franchise.

Two things about him really stick out now that I watch him play every week. First, he’s much more mobile than I thought he was. He’s not exactly Michael Vick, but Brees has a great sense of where the rush is and can move well enough to avoid it.

Second, have you ever noticed when Brees throws the ball deep down field the receiver seems to almost always be open? He rarely, if ever, puts the ball at risk. He just doesn’t make bad decisions. Even his interceptions against Baltimore were more a case of the Ravens forcing him into mistakes than him just making a bad throw.

The thing that annoys me about announcers and commentators is when they say, “Brees is a great manager of the game.” It’s almost like a backhanded compliment because it infers that all he does is not screw things up and without all the talent around him he’d be Rex Grossman.

I’ve watched the Saints for 25 years and I’ve never seen them have a passing game like this.

As long as Brees is under center I’m completely relaxed, it’s a beautiful thing and I like it...."

No disrespect to any past Saints quarterbacks, but we simply have never had a guy like this before, and I'm LUVING IT!

Complete article, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl111006khforecast.23fdcdd1.html

I couldn't agree more kfran. It is so nice to actually feel at ease when our QB drops back to pass.
( by the way, the reader or listener "infers." The speaker or writer "implies". Sorry, just a weird pet peeve of mine that so few seem to distinguish between the two.)

You know what I don't like - that a pass which hits the receiver in the hands, and is perfectly catchable, bounces off that receiver's hands, in the air and gets picked off by the defense, and it counts against the QB.

But yeah, I never worry when the dude takes a snap.

You know what I don't like - that a pass which hits the receiver in the hands, and is perfectly catchable, bounces off that receiver's hands, in the air and gets picked off by the defense, and it counts against the QB.

I agree. That one did hurt.

I've been in love with Drew (and his wife) ever since they took out that full page ad in the Times-Pic after he was signed. HE'S the reason we bought season tix, not because of that Bush fellow that all the kids seem to be talking about. I fantasize about running into them and hugging them both and thanking them for coming to NOLA.

I've been in love with Drew (and his wife) ever since they took out that full page ad in the Times-Pic after he was signed. HE'S the reason we bought season tix, not because of that Bush fellow that all the kids seem to be talking about. I fantasize about running into them and hugging them both and thanking them for coming to NOLA.

The guy is just a "class act" - not merely on the field.

I use to envy the 49er's fans years back when they had Montana and the Pat's with Brady because I knew they had something special.

Don't get me wrong, we've had a few pretty good QB's here, but we've simply never had a guy like this before. As someone posted earlier: "He's the complete package."

I really believe that Drew Brees will be the next great QB of the NFL. A Montana, Aikman, Marino, Bradshaw type. He is that good!

I don't think that someone being a great manager of the game is a backhanded compliment. I'm soooo glad to have a good game manager at qb after Brooks. To me it just means he knows the down and distance, knows the time left, knows where we are on the field, knows what the D is going to give him, and basically has a tremendous awareness of the game situation and uses it to move the chains when we need to and get scores when we need to.

That sounds sort of like a qb's job. Brees just happens to do it as well as anyone.

I don't see calling him a "game manager" as a bad thing either. Now if they were to say that he plays to not lose, that's a different story...

Wife bought a Blue Pomeranian, my son named him Blue Brees, your not the only one crazy about Brees

i really thought drew brees was a soild qb before he signed wit the saints. But i dont know if its because i been watchin the last qb of our team, but this guy drew brees he is having a MVP year, and is worth every penny he is paid

What Bree's does and is very good(one of many, besides leadership and management) at is knowing where everyone is and having that check down guy and just dumping it off when there might not be anybody open, a couple guys that come to mind are guys like Young and Gannon both guys who could move around a bit(those guys moreso) but always made good decision and knew where those check down receivers were and were pretty accurate...That's why if we can get a beast TE we our offense would be VERY scary.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom