I could live with this (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Saints trade the #10 pick to the Eagles for the 19th pick and Lito Sheppard. At #19, the Saints select Kentwan Balmer. Balmer is supposedly the 3rd best DT in the draft. We get a proven CB and a young DT. Not bad.

I'd take Kenny Phillips to sure up the secondary, then take Simms or Laws in round 2. Balmer has bust written all over him!

That would not be bad at all. Two Starters for the price of one!

That would be a reach, imo. Balmer should go about 10 spots after the Eagles' pick, unless his stock somehow soars between now and the draft. Someone like Rivers, Talib, Jonathon Stewart, or Branden Albert should still be available at #19.

I wouldn't be upset with that at all. I would rather if we reach, that we reach for Dan Connor or Jerod Mayo. I think both have the potential to do as well as Rivers who will be picked before the 19th pick.

Then take Trevor Laws with the 40th.

Yeah Balmer could be nice but only if we traded back further. BTW I don't think Albert would will be available at 19 and I'm a little skeptical of Talib given his baggage. Maybe Jenkins or Stewart etc would be there. There are a few other interesting OT's who might be worth it. In any case I would absolutely trade down to 19 for Sheppard, and take BPA. I doubt the Eagles do it, although I read an article somewhere (I think it was Detillier) saying they're high on Albert, who won't likely be there at 19.

Branden Albert should still be available at #19.

If they make the trade and Albert is still on the board at 19 I bet you will see someone from the Saints organization pull a hammy on the way to the podium. The guys is a versatile lineman who projects as a guard or tackle at the next level. It is always nice to have flexible lineman like that on a roster, especially with his talent level.<O:p

If they make the trade and Albert is still on the board at 19 I bet you will see someone from the Saints organization pull a hammy on the way to the podium. The guys is a versatile lineman who projects as a guard or tackle at the next level. It is always nice to have flexible lineman like that on a roster, especially with his talent level.<O:p

I agree with you, though I have doubts that Albert would last that long. I am not sold on Balmer at all, but if the Saints don't like the choices at #10, then I like the move back.

Shefter reported yesterday that the eagles have around 6 offers on the table for Lito, but they won't trade him unless they think it will bring good value for him.

Translation: the eagles are posturing and trying to make the price for Lito a little more expensive.

Me, I always like the idea of trading down, but I am not sure I want Lito. I would prefer to grab a draft pick. To me, there is no more difference between the #1 and the #6 corner in this draft. I think most of them will be starters on time. For that reason I would prefer to have the flexibility that draft picks gives you.

Other matter, bringing Lito means a new contract sooner then later, and the line is getting longer now with Smith, Evans, Colston, Vilma and maybe Morgan if he plays well for us this season.

I personally like the idea of trading down and getting Phillips. That would shore up the secondary for a while. Heck, Jason Davod might not even make the team at that point. I dont think we will trade dow, aquire Lito and draft a CB. It will be Lito and either Phillips or a LB. Probably Mayo.

I agree with you, though I have doubts that Albert would last that long. I am not sold on Balmer at all, but if the Saints don't like the choices at #10, then I like the move back.

I agree with you on both counts I think Albert will be gone around the 15th pick. As far as Balmer I just don't think he is worth it. I would much rather have an o-lineman, LB, or Kenny Phillips at 19 if the trade did happen.

How about this. The Saints Trade down for Lito to#19 and then trade down to #31 for Jeremy Shocky and with the #31 pick select Jerod Mayo LB or Kenny Phillips S. Just a thought. A probowl CB, TE and a new starting WLB or Safety. THen at #40 we pick the Best OT available.

In this draft unless we can get Ellis I don't think the value is that great at CB at 10. Like others it seems like the 4th best guy is not that much worse than the 1st. Moreover 10 might be a bit high for Rivers.

Although I'd like to move up to get Ellis, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra picks. I'd prefer to move down and pick up some more guys. We could certainly use the picks. I'm better we move down in the 2nd atleast to get back our 4th (and possibly a 3rd.)

Absolutely would make the trade. Lito is immediate help in the secondary and a quality athlete would still be available at 19.

How about this. The Saints Trade down for Lito to#19 and then trade down to #31 for Jeremy Shocky and with the #31 pick select Jerod Mayo LB or Kenny Phillips S. Just a thought. A probowl CB, TE and a new starting WLB or Safety. THen at #40 we pick the Best OT available.

Just an honest question, how much money on signing bonuses do you think we need to sign in the next couple of years long-term contracts for Jahri Evans, Marques Colston, Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Lito Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey?

Please consider that already you have in your salary cap huge contracts for Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush and Charles Grant. In 3 years pro-bowler Jammal Brown won't come cheap.

My point is, we are in great shape salary-cap wise, but we are a young team. Sooner then later the original contracts or our young players will need to be redone, and to re-sign them it will take more money than what they are already making.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom