I could live with this (1 Viewer)

I am NOT a fan of Balmer. He has Jonathan Sullivan written all over him. A propensity to be too large, questionable work ethic, and a reputation for taking off plays. No thanks, we did that one already.

Secondly, we just brought in Aaron Glenn who will serve the same function as Lito Sheppard would. Sheppard is an almost-past-it CB whose main purpose would be to to serve as an example and coach to the younger corners. He would not be an answer as an effective starter. Just ask Eagles fans.

I would be quite unhappy with this scenario.

How about this. The Saints Trade down for Lito to#19 and then trade down to #31 for Jeremy Shocky and with the #31 pick select Jerod Mayo LB or Kenny Phillips S. Just a thought. A probowl CB, TE and a new starting WLB or Safety. THen at #40 we pick the Best OT available.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the trade between the GiAnts and Saints is to swap #1 picks for Shockey. I also think the reason this trade hasn't happened yet is the Saints are holding out hope to get Glenrick Dorsellis. If they can't, then the trade will happen on draft day. If they do, they might still do the trade as the 2nd round for Shockey, again on draft day since it's contingent on what happens at #10.

JMO, of course, but don't surprised to see it happen, folks.

Sheppard is a great player, but i think we need a free safety in first...at this moment we have just Josh Bullocks!!!

Just an honest question, how much money on signing bonuses do you think we need to sign in the next couple of years long-term contracts for Jahri Evans, Marques Colston, Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Lito Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey?

Please consider that already you have in your salary cap huge contracts for Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush and Charles Grant. In 3 years pro-bowler Jammal Brown won't come cheap.

My point is, we are in great shape salary-cap wise, but we are a young team. Sooner then later the original contracts or our young players will need to be redone, and to re-sign them it will take more money than what they are already making.

At the same time the signing of those players will justify the release of other hi salaried low output players. Jason David, Scott Shanle will be expendable. Duece may already be on his way out we will know it a week or so. Will Smith will not get a new deal this season because he will price him self to high. The Saints will franchise him in 2009 and he will more than likely be gone after that. My point is is players come and go.. and signing driven probowl players like Shockey is hardly ever a bad thing.

Saints trade the #10 pick to the Eagles for the 19th pick and Lito Sheppard. At #19, the Saints select Kentwan Balmer. Balmer is supposedly the 3rd best DT in the draft. We get a proven CB and a young DT. Not bad.

Why does this idea make me feel like I'd be stuck in a real-life double feature of Saw: Parts 30 & 31 (RE: Saw: The Ghosts of Sully & Shawn Knight Revisited.).

If we can't get one of the top 2 DTs, the more I think about it, we take either O-Line or McKelvin @10, or work a deal with Detroit so they can get Mendenhall and we get some value.

The only way swapping 1s with Philly to get Lito makes any sense, is if they include a 3rd or 4th. Lito alone means we over-payed and destroyed our 1st round and maybe our draft.

Like I stated elsewhere, on draft day, the Eagles will find a must have around the 3rd, and will toss Lito in to swap 3s.

At the same time the signing of those players will justify the release of other hi salaried low output players. Jason David, Scott Shanle will be expendable. Duece may already be on his way out we will know it a week or so. Will Smith will not get a new deal this season because he will price him self to high. The Saints will franchise him in 2009 and he will more than likely be gone after that. My point is is players come and go.. and signing driven probowl players like Shockey is hardly ever a bad thing.

I understand your point. And yes, signing pro-bowl players is not bad. But also you can't substitute the salary of David's with Sheppard. Shockey will demand a top-5 salary for tight-ends.

I am not against looking for all possibilities and bringing good players, but I am more on the pessimistic side considering the salary cap. I think we are fine now but will be having a tough time sooner than later (and that is a good thing, it tells us that our young recruits are producing).

I understand your point. And yes, signing pro-bowl players is not bad. But also you can't substitute the salary of David's with Sheppard. Shockey will demand a top-5 salary for tight-ends.

I am not against looking for all possibilities and bringing good players, but I am more on the pessimistic side considering the salary cap. I think we are fine now but will be having a tough time sooner than later (and that is a good thing, it tells us that our young recruits are producing).

Hell I don't look at the money. Its not my money!!! LOL I just want the Saints to win a superbowl before I die. I am 41 and have High bloodpressure and my patience is running as thin as my blood does after taking my bloodpressure meds. LOL Don't leave money on the table Tom go get em. I wouldn't care if Tom Benson changed is name to Tom Snyder "not that he has won any superbowls" but what ever you do don't be affraid to spend money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom