I don’t understand football (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The more l watch football the less l understand it
I did not think it was possible to have two such different performances in just two weeks
I never did know why teams had so many coaches, now l do a little bit
The way l see it so much depends on shear luck and how the ball bounces, if we had recovered the punt where it hit the guys leg could have been a different game, if not for a dodgy call on roughing the QB it could have been a different game
Last week everything seemed to go right for us, this week nothing did
Still 100% behind Winston and the team, there is no way our O line is as bad as at appeared to be yesterday

The less you try to think everything is overcomeable, the more sense it makes. Yes, we all wanted to think Payton is magic and that being down 6 defensive starters, a starting center who makes the protection calls, and 8 coaches wouldn't matter, but it mattered. Add in the loss of a home game, being on the road for a month, etc. and things become insurmountable. I think the Jets could have beat us yesterday.

Teams can not win in the NFL under those circumstances. Coaches aren't just there for mid-week practice. They all handle things during the game too.

The less you try to think everything is overcomeable, the more sense it makes. Yes, we all wanted to think Payton is magic and that being down 6 defensive starters, a starting center who makes the protection calls, and 8 coaches wouldn't matter, but it mattered.

Teams can not win in the NFL under those circumstances. Coaches aren't just there for mid-week practice. They all handle things during the game too.
Agreed, yesterday sure opened my eyes to how important the coaches are

Just tooooooo many variables.

rosters of 50+ players and then a room full of coaching staff… any area where people are missing for the day or simply just don’t have your head in the game… it usually translates into a loss

we all have the days where we just ‘aren’t there’ or don’t ‘feel it’

I think we played a team in week 1 who wasn’t there… this week we were missing many people. I still think Carolina is built to take us on though… so even with full roster and coaches it likely would’ve been a tough 4 quarters.

The more l watch football the less l understand it
I did not think it was possible to have two such different performances in just two weeks
I never did know why teams had so many coaches, now l do a little bit
The way l see it so much depends on shear luck and how the ball bounces, if we had recovered the punt where it hit the guys leg could have been a different game, if not for a dodgy call on roughing the QB it could have been a different game
Last week everything seemed to go right for us, this week nothing did
Still 100% behind Winston and the team, there is no way our O line is as bad as at appeared to be yesterday
while mostly true and with the realization of how close the margins are in professional football and the fact that you can flip coins and replicate an nfl season
i would also posit that we lose 8 out of 10 times we take the field with that roster and sideline - i felt the game was over when Latt and Ceedy were declared out - with all of the other injuries et al, that was just going to be a bridge too far

while mostly true and with the realization of how close the margins are in professional football and the fact that you can flip coins and replicate an nfl season
i would also posit that we lose 8 out of 10 times we take the field with that roster and sideline - i felt the game was over when Latt and Ceedy were declared out - with all of the other injuries et al, that was just going to be a bridge too far
Yup, as soon as I saw Latt and CGJ out on the TV, told the wife we were screwed.

We all learned just how important position coaches are.
Sean is sitting key guys to make sure they are healthy for the long haul (remember 17 games this year).

The o-line and WR groups were missing their position coaches and it showed big time.

Having Latt and Ceedy would've helped keep the score a little closer, but the defense was not the problem. The defense started badly, but settled down to force turnovers and punts. They gave the offense some opportunities. Not nearly as much help as last week, but it was at least an average performance. The problem was the offense was atrocious.

Having Latt and Ceedy would've helped keep the score a little closer, but the defense was not the problem. The defense started badly, but settled down to force turnovers and punts. They gave the offense some opportunities. Not nearly as much help as last week, but it was at least an average performance. The problem was the offense was atrocious.
The defense was a problem. No pass rush, bad tackling, blown assignments. You're right, we weren't blown out but they defense didn't play good enough for us to win.

That's the beauty of sports, expect the unexpected. Panthers just took advantage of us, plain and simple. Now who's to say the Texans won't do the same to them. Every team has a bad game. No one is perfect. To be honest, we were still in it until midway through the 4th quarter even with all the missing pieces we had. Things will work out, we've been down this road before.

As far as understanding the game today, officiating is never consistent. There were several calls in multiple games yesterday that affecting the outcome. Like what is really roughing the passer? What's a clean hit and what's not? The calls pretty much aid the offense, especially this new rule where defenders can't cut block on lineman. I'm sorry but when you face a guy almost three times your size, you do what you can to protect yourself. Football is not what it used to be and has become more about the money than the joy of the sport.

The defense was a problem. No pass rush, bad tackling, blown assignments. You're right, we weren't blown out but they defense didn't play good enough for us to win.

Holding a team to 17 points is more than enough to win. Even as bad as they were the defense's performance was enough.

We've had at least one game like this every year for the past two or three seasons. The offense comes out totally unprepared for one reason or another, the defense is barely able to cling on until the final few minutes when they wear down and another score or two gets dumped on.

Thought they did pretty well second half, which brings us back to the missing coaches, they were not many if any D coaches out and they made adjustments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom