I don't get all the Kenny Phillips hype on this board (1 Viewer)

d3vanj

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He's a great athlete, and as a fan of Miami, I've been able to witness his explosiveness for a while now
but let me clear some things up
Ok, First He does NOT hit like Sean Taylor. NOBODY hits like Sean Taylor did, period. Kenny can lay some wood if he's in the right place at the right time, as can almost anybody else
and ball instincts like Ed Reed? GIVE ME A BREAK! Once again, there is nobody on Ed Reed's level! His awareness is through the roof

Don't get me wrong, Kenny is an amazing athlete with the potential to develop into a star NFL safety, and I would love him on this team, but I don't get all the random love for him
He had a huge drop off in performance this year, his stats aren't even that good

Someone just explain to me WHY he is so loved/hyped on this board?

Well, because he's a great athlete, and as a fan of GT living near BC, I've been able to witness his explosiveness for a while now. Kenny can lay some wood if he's in the right place at the right time. Kenny is an amazing athlete with the potential to develop into a star NFL safety, and I would love him on this team.:ezbill:

Agreed. Ken Phillips is good, but I believe the hype is all because of him going to "The U". We all know the U's rep when it comes to defense. If Kenny went to lets say... Colorado, I dont think he'd be as coveted.

Agreed. Ken Phillips is good, but I believe the hype is all because of him going to "The U". We all know the U's rep when it comes to defense. If Kenny went to lets say... Colorado, I dont think he'd be as coveted.

I highly doubt a 6-2 212 pound 4.4 running Safety wouldn't be highly coveted if he didn't go to the U.

You can spend hours saying how he isn't as good Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. Ed Reed and Sean Taylor weren't as good as Ed Reed and Sean Taylor when they were drafted. They both developed into stud Safeties. Phillips plays for much worse Miami teams then those two did. He has the physical tools to be a great Safety. There are no gurantees in the draft, so yeah, he might not end up great, or he could end up as good as those two winded up being in the NFL.

I highly doubt a 6-2 212 pound 4.4 running Safety wouldn't be highly coveted if he didn't go to the U.

You can spend hours saying how he isn't as good Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. Ed Reed and Sean Taylor weren't as good as Ed Reed and Sean Taylor when they were drafted. They both developed into stud Safeties. Phillips plays for much worse Miami teams then those two did. He has the physical tools to be a great Safety. There are no gurantees in the draft, so yeah, he might not end up great, or he could end up as good as those two winded up being in the NFL.

Sean Taylor was the best safety prospect ever coming otu of college. AS much as a stud as he was he never had enough time to even reach half of his potential. And Ed Reed in college was dominant and fell in the draft due to size. He absolutely dominated Nebraska in their bowl game. Kenny Phillips is not on either of their levels but will still be a star safety in the nfl.

Simply put..

Our love for Phillips shows our disgust for Bullocks.

Sean Taylor was like the top saftey prospect to ever come out of college

EDIT: mhurricane beat me to it

So because Phillips, in your opinion, isn't as good as the best Safety prospect ever he isn't worthy of hype? So no Safety unless they are as good as Sean Taylor is allowed to be coveted? He is still a great Safety with sick physical measurables and more then worthy of a high 1st round pick.

Was Taylor hotter than Roy Williams coming out?

Taylor was taken number 5 overall. Reed somewhere in the teens or early 20's I think. I think Williams was selected before Ed Reed in the same draft class.

I certainly thought he graded out higher. I think a lot of people still thought Roy Williams would be more impactful playing close to the line. But even after Williams went very high in the draft the year before, Taylor had a little more hype.

There's so much hype for Phillips because there's no one else to take. No Stud DT at our slot, no lights out LB, no shutdown CB. Added on to the fact that he's the only first round safety in the draft.

I've found it now, thanks. RW was drafted 8th, but picks really depend on teams' needs. I remember ultra hype about him. I would've picked RW before Reed, due to size. He still went 24th

So because Phillips, in your opinion, isn't as good as the best Safety prospect ever he isn't worthy of hype? So no Safety unless they are as good as Sean Taylor is allowed to be coveted? He is still a great Safety with sick physical measurables and more then worthy of a high 1st round pick.

No, I never said that, ever. He is amazing, I'm just saying he's way hyped on this board, and people saying he hits like Sean Taylor and has the awareness of Ed Reed is the stuff im talking about.

I've found it now, thanks. RW was drafted 8th, but picks really depend on teams' needs. I remember ultra hype about him. I would've picked RW before Reed, due to size. He still went 24th

Reed's size definitely knocked him down some spots. Based just on his production on the field at Miami, he would've been a top 15 pick for sure. He was always making HUGE plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom