I don't get all the Kenny Phillips hype on this board (1 Viewer)

So would you say Phillips compares to Roy Williams when he was in his prime? Will he punish a receiver when he gets a chance? Will he make receivers think twice before catching a ball over the middle, or before stretching out for a ball? Can he stay with a receiver and cover deep?

That is all I want out of a safety.

Taylor was taken number 5 overall. Reed somewhere in the teens or early 20's I think. I think Williams was selected before Ed Reed in the same draft class.

Williams went 8th in 2002.

As prospects, Sean Taylor was to the safety position what Calvin Johnson was to the WR position: Not just a good player with good measurables, but a different species of animal altogether. He was far superior to Williams, as Roy was always a liability in coverage.

So would you say Phillips compares to Roy Williams when he was in his prime? Will he punish a receiver when he gets a chance? Will he make receivers think twice before catching a ball over the middle, or before stretching out for a ball? Can he stay with a receiver and cover deep?

That is all I want out of a safety.

Yes to all.

I never said he wasn't an amazing athlete, I just said he's way hyped on this board by a lot of people who have probably only seen him play once, if even that.

He's not overrated anywhere but this board IMO.

I think he's overrated as a prospect. If I consider his body of work, he would be a low first round draft pick. The only reasons why I think he should go in the top 15 is because of his potential, physical tools, and the DB class is weak this year.

Personally, I don't want Phillips. I've said it several times, especially sitting at 10. I'd rather take an offensive player, than reach for Phillips at 10. This is a very weak safety class, Phillips being the only true 1st round talent. However, because of the weakness at the top of the safety class his stock is a little higher than it should be.

Also, I seriously doubt the Saints are looking for a safety in the top of the draft. My understanding is they are very secure with what they have now in Bullocks, Harper and Keasviharn. Wouldn't surprise me if they look to add some depth in the middle rounds, but seriously doubt they use a high pick on a safety.

d3vanj, do you think he is worth the #10 pick?

at 10..I don't know..It's a tough choice, but I'd take BPA, wether that be an offensive player or defensive player.
(ONLY OFFENSE IF WE GET SOME GOOD PEOPLE IN FA)
if Phillips is the BPA, then go for it, he'd make an immediate impact.

Personally, I don't want Phillips. I've said it several times, especially sitting at 10. I'd rather take an offensive player, than reach for Phillips at 10. This is a very weak safety class, Phillips being the only true 1st round talent. However, because of the weakness at the top of the safety class his stock is a little higher than it should be.

Also, I seriously doubt the Saints are looking for a safety in the top of the draft. My understanding is they are very secure with what they have now in Bullocks, Harper and Keasviharn. Wouldn't surprise me if they look to add some depth in the middle rounds, but seriously doubt they use a high pick on a safety.

Whether you want Phillips or not, he is not a reach at 10. Dan Conner is a reach at 10. Mike Jenkins is a reach at 10. Phillips has all the measurables of a top 10 pick at Safety and a very good college career to back it up. If Phillips goes to the combine and runs a 4.3-4 like he is listed at now he'll probably be taken before we get a chance to pick him. He is likely to be the BPA offense or defense when we pick.

Safeties are not top 10 picks unless they are head and shoulders above players at other positions when it's time to draft. Phillips is not one of those players.

He may not be as good as Sean Taylor or Ed Reed, but he also could be better than them you never know. I think he would be a great pick at 10 and I think he will make an impact early in his carrer. We don't really know if he is overhyped until a few years from now though.

He may not be as good as Sean Taylor or Ed Reed, but he also could be better than them you never know. I think he would be a great pick at 10 and I think he will make an impact early in his carrer. We don't really know if he is overhyped until a few years from now though.

No.
Not for years and years to come, if then.

Safeties are not top 10 picks unless they are head and shoulders above players at other positions when it's time to draft. Phillips is not one of those players.

What rule book did you get that out of?

No.
Not for years and years to come, if then.

well of course not right away but in future he could quite possibly become close to or better than Ed Reed or Sean Taylor, but he could also end up being terrible we will see I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom