i dont think drafting and gettin a CB in free agency is what this defense needs (1 Viewer)

number1saints

World Champs...DATS WHO
Reaction score
we need to really bolster the d line so they can consistently pressure the qb w/ a 4 man rush we need to really strengthen the front 7 and the secondary should be able to work itself back up to its #10 rated pass defense like 2006

were not going into the draft and free agency only drafting and signing defensive tackles.

we need Corner help and Linebacker and DT help, we got 7 rounds to get that help on D and we have a couple options to get that help in free agency, we need to stop acting like we can only make on selection on draft day and only one signing when FA starts...we bickering on this board over who the 1st rounder is like thats what makes this draft, one of the best players on this team almost didnt even get drafted.

we need to really bolster the d line so they can consistently pressure the qb w/ a 4 man rush we need to really strengthen the front 7 and the secondary should be able to work itself back up to its #10 rated pass defense like 2006

I agree with this!......Our biggest need is getting a constant pressure on the QB on passing downs. Our biggest liability is our underachieving DEs, who are unable to get any kind of pressure on the opposing QB.....If we can put pressure from the outside, the DTs will have a better chance to step up, and push back the middle, thus creating more pressure!

That is the biggest reason why I am questioning the wisdom of giving another huge contract to W Smith....is not that Will is no good, but he is terribly inconsistent, which adversely affects JD! How come JD wasn't near this bad while he played for T Dungy's Colts? B/c he had Freeney up-front, who was putting a great deal of pressure on the QB. Will Smith is not that fast, and that leaves JD on an island.....we all see the result!

I predict the Saints brain-trust will be looking to bring in a speed rusher as one of the most important moves in the draft! They won't find anybody in FA......but right now I'm beginning to warm up to the idea for drafting Gholston with the 10th pick, exactly to bring in a legit speed rusher, and slide Grant in the middle on obvious passing downs! there isn't anybody else but Philips at #10, but I don't see Gibbs going for a rookie FS to be his starter! Then by drafting a MLB in the 2nd rd, the Saints in essence do what the Bucs did last year! They shored up their front 7, and managed to climb up to the 2nd place with their D!

And I predict they will try full blast to sign Briggs in FA!

The Saints need help at every defensive position, but it is true the Saints have no pass rush coming from the inside and when the game was on the line they were weak against the run [Philidelphia].

I agree with this!......Our biggest need is getting a constant pressure on the QB on passing downs. Our biggest liability is our underachieving DEs, who are unable to get any kind of pressure on the opposing QB.....If we can put pressure from the outside, the DTs will have a better chance to step up, and push back the middle, thus creating more pressure!

That is the biggest reason why I am questioning the wisdom of giving another huge contract to W Smith....is not that Will is no good, but he is terribly inconsistent, which adversely affects JD! How come JD wasn't near this bad while he played for T Dungy's Colts? B/c he had Freeney up-front, who was putting a great deal of pressure on the QB. Will Smith is not that fast, and that leaves JD on an island.....we all see the result!

I predict the Saints brain-trust will be looking to bring in a speed rusher as one of the most important moves in the draft! They won't find anybody in FA......but right now I'm beginning to warm up to the idea for drafting Gholston with the 10th pick, exactly to bring in a legit speed rusher, and slide Grant in the middle on obvious passing downs! there isn't anybody else but Philips at #10, but I don't see Gibbs going for a rookie FS to be his starter! Then by drafting a MLB in the 2nd rd, the Saints in essence do what the Bucs did last year! They shored up their front 7, and managed to climb up to the 2nd place with their D!

And I predict they will try full blast to sign Briggs in FA!

u forget how bad indy's defence really was. up until the end of last year indy's defence sucked. the had great pass rush but thats it, the secondary was very suspect to say the least, and keep in mind when the defence started to get better jason david was not the starter. it was marlin jackson/ kelvin h. david was the third guy.

There's no question that the pass rush needs big-time improvement, so I have no problem targeting DTs and LBs first. But to say that our D doesn't need CBs, especially given that McKenzie will probably miss some/all of next season, is crazy. Unfortunately, we need a ton of help almost everywhere on D.

Last edited:
I will agree they would have looked better with more pressure on the QB but come on please tell me you don't think Fred Thomas Jason David and Jason Craft are starting caliber CB's

I will agree they would have looked better with more pressure on the QB but come on please tell me you don't think Fred Thomas Jason David and Jason Craft are starting caliber CB's

A decent pass rush will make even marginal defensive backs look better. However I don't see why it has to be either the defensive backs or the D-line to upgrade. We should look to upgrade both. Not saying we have to sign superstars to both, but finding players better than Brian Young, Hollis Thomas, Josh Bullocks, etc. shouldn't be that hard. On D, I think we should look for the best players that we can afford. We can't go wrong that way.

u forget how bad indy's defence really was. up until the end of last year indy's defence sucked. the had great pass rush but thats it, the secondary was very suspect to say the least, and keep in mind when the defence started to get better jason david was not the starter. it was marlin jackson/ kelvin h. david was the third guy.

Have you noticed how bad JD was while playing in Indy? I sure didn't......and no one has warned us about JD!

The DE's play determines how good a CB can play......All the arguments that he was in a zone D, loses all credibility when the QB has time to wait for the WR to run his route. Then all the zone D dissapears, and changes to a man to man D.......we have seen the results with the Saints, when the QB had all the time in the world to throw....the difference was that in Indy, Freeney, and the Colts DL never gave that much time for a QB to disect the secondary......so we never knew just how bad JD was covering man to man....

the saints need to get better on defense as a whole. the lack of pressure of front exposed the secondary this season, along with the defense giving up big yards on 1st down. the saints need to evaluate the best players to fill those needs. and we have them at dt, lb and cb.

A decent pass rush will make even marginal defensive backs look better. However I don't see why it has to be either the defensive backs or the D-line to upgrade. We should look to upgrade both. Not saying we have to sign superstars to both, but finding players better than Brian Young, Hollis Thomas, Josh Bullocks, etc. shouldn't be that hard. On D, I think we should look for the best players that we can afford. We can't go wrong that way.

As far as the whole situation goes I think what we lack is inside pressure and a LB that can rush the passer. Sim and Shanle are not very good at rushing the passer and without Young we allowed every QB to step up and have a picnic while waiting for someone to get open. Jason David was pathetic with or without pressure but I will say Bullocks and Harper suffered from a lack of pressure much of the season. Bottom line with MM hurt we need to bring in at least a MLB, OLB to compete with Shanle, a 2 CB's one to replace David and one to get us through the MM out period and at least 1 DT that can play the 3 tech and create a push inside if we want anything close to a legit D.

Have you noticed how bad JD was while playing in Indy? I sure didn't......and no one has warned us about JD!

The DE's play determines how good a CB can play......All the arguments that he was in a zone D, loses all credibility when the QB has time to wait for the WR to run his route. Then all the zone D dissapears, and changes to a man to man D.......we have seen the results with the Saints, when the QB had all the time in the world to throw....the difference was that in Indy, Freeney, and the Colts DL never gave that much time for a QB to disect the secondary......so we never knew just how bad JD was covering man to man....

Jason David was playing Tampa 2 which makes most CB's look good.

There's no question that the pass rush needs big-time improvement, so I have no problem targeting DTs and LBs first. But to say that our D doesn't need CBs, especially given that McKenzie will probably miss some/all of next season, is crazy. Unfortunately, we need a ton of help almost everywhere on D.

Agreed. If we had the Steel Curtain to work with as a Dline we would still need to upgrade our secondary. I think that some believe that our problems in the secondary would magically disappear with a stronger pass rush. The quality teams in the NFL understand that good quality up front AND the back-end is critical to success.

I biggest need is to run a scheme that best fits the talent we have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom