I dont want a CB at #10. (1 Viewer)

I would rather a Corner in FA to be honest. But if we do not address it at all I think we HAVE to draft one. Talib I think I am most impressed with to be honest. MM might not be ready and we don't know what effects the injury will have on his overall game (will he come back as good?) Plus he is getting long in the tooth. We need to get another corner in here. I am with most that i'd like it to be a FA. But if those cards don't fall right were gonna have to do somthing and I won;t be the least bit mad.

Another reason I would rather look elsewhere we have holes on the DL. I saw QBs have lotsa time to throw against 4 - 6 seconds is way way way to much time. You put any corner at risk when you ask them to run with a guy for 5 seconds, someone is gonna get loose. I would like to see a DT Ellis, or Dorsey would be the two I want. Dorsey will be long gone so i'm leaning towards Ellis. Both these guys are the high motor type players, neither has the impressive size for the nose. But the more than make up for it with the high motor and thier strength. Reguardless where they line up its gonna call for doubles.

With the kind of pass rush this Saints D bring, or should I say lack,
we have no chance at developing young cornerbacks properly.

Honestly, there is not a player on that defense whose job is safe in my eye.

You can second that or I guess I will,our pass rush stunk this year.Sure we have great ends when it comes to run support we actually played well against the run this year.That isn't something I would have thought we could have every had back in the Sully years.I hate to say it but I might be more inclined to start Jason David and a FA next year too and take someone to help our Dline out................or sign a guy like Lance Briggs I can't figure out why we don't blitz our Lbers more in this scheme unless Gibbs just doesn't have any faith in Shanle.

I do think we need to get a Young cornerback on the first day though,just as long as no one is thinking that he is gonna come in and be a savior in our backfield this year.Replacing Simoneau is what I am holding out hope for..........I really hope we get this guys replacement this year.

If free agency doesn't work out for a cornerback, then the Saints should trade for one. Very rarely do first round cornerbacks play well their first year. The fact is that the Saints need to account for TWO starting CB's next year because McKenzie may not be ready. I really believe that they had better count on not having him back at all, as in forever, at least as a premise. Can Usama Young start next year? That's another big question. The Saints also need to draft at least one CB IMHO for future development. For now, the nickle can be played by either Craft or David, but the plan should consist in getting two starting CB's.

In 2004 the Texans selected a cornerback with the 10th pick in the first round. His name Dunta Robinson. His best season so far was his rookie year.

/thread

Hopefully, Young will progress into a reliable cb in year two and we aquire a big time vet. I'd rather a thumper at LB...which I think I've posted more about in the past decade than the uniforms....

Some people here crack me up. Dont draft a cornerback, sign somebody like Trufant instead! But how do you think Seattle got Trufant in the first place? Magic? They selected him with the 11th pick in the 2003 draft. That same year the Steelers took Troy Polamalu and the Raiders selected Nnamdi Asomugha, both also in the first round of the draft. What do you think, should those teams not have drafted a DB with their first pick?

In 2004 the Texans selected a cornerback with the 10th pick in the first round. His name Dunta Robinson. His best season so far was his rookie year.

/thread

In my original post I said not all rookie cbs take time to adjust, just that they seem to take longer more often than other defensive positions. So you found a rookie cb who had a good year. Congratulations, but I still stand by my opinion. You want to draft an impact corner for three years from now when it may be too late thats fine. I want someone who will make an impact right now while the window is open. To each his own.

Since you dug around and found one CB to back up your position how about this. The New England Patriots, 16-0, winners of 3 Super Bowls since 2001 and likely winners of this years Super Bowl have not drafted a CB in the 1st rd since they took the beastly Chris Canty in 1997. They took CBs later in the draft to groom for the future and drafted other positions early. Doesnt seem to be hurting them much. I realize this has nothing to do with the Saints, but neither does Dunta Robinson.

If a CB is the BPA at #10, we should draft him. You don't draft a player based on what he can do his 1st year. You should defintely take that into consideration, but good CBs are hard to find. I am hoping for DT Ellis first and if not CB Jenkins would be my next choice. I like Phillips, but we have spent 2 2nd rounders on S and while the positions like CB, DT, and LB have been neglected. I don't have a problem with drafting another safety, but not in the 1st or 2nd round unless there aren't good enough Dts, LBs, or CBs to warrant being picked at that position in the draft.

I would much also rather have a proven veteran at corner via free agency, however, any corner worth bringing in their price tag would be to high. Selecting a corner in the 1st or
2nd round would be cheaper, albeit a project, then signing in top corner any offseason move.

In my original post I said not all rookie cbs take time to adjust, just that they seem to take longer more often than other defensive positions. So you found a rookie cb who had a good year. Congratulations, but I still stand by my opinion. You want to draft an impact corner for three years from now when it may be too late thats fine. I want someone who will make an impact right now while the window is open. To each his own.

Since you dug around and found one CB to back up your position how about this. The New England Patriots, 16-0, winners of 3 Super Bowls since 2001 and likely winners of this years Super Bowl have not drafted a CB in the 1st rd since they took the beastly Chris Canty in 1997. They took CBs later in the draft to groom for the future and drafted other positions early. Doesnt seem to be hurting them much. I realize this has nothing to do with the Saints, but neither does Dunta Robinson.

Dunta was selected with the 10th pick of the draft in 2004, this year the Saints have the 10th pick so we should be able to get a comparable talent. Thats why I brought it up, Dunta is probably the best defender on the Texans team and they made the right call by drafting him. In the interest of being fair, lets look at a list of all the cornerbacks who have been drafted top 20 within the last 10 years.

Charles Woodson(4)
Duane Starks(10)
Champ Bailey(7)
Chris McAlister(10)
Deltha O'neal (15)
Phillip Buchanon (17)
Nate Clements (21)
Terrence Newman (5)
Marcus Trufant (11)
DeAngelo Hall (8)
Dunta Robinson (10)
Pacman Jones (6)
Tye Hill (15)
Antonio Cromartie (19)
Darelle Revis (14)
Leon Hall (18)
Aaron Ross (20)

As you can see, there have been some very beastly cornerbacks taken in the first round, and this list doesnt even include safeties like Sean Taylor who were also taken early in the first round. If the Saints have the ability to take a defensive back in the first round, and the guy is good enough that he can be listed with the players above, then Im all for it because some of those guys would look real nice in a Saints uniform.

*ps I didnt have to "dig around" to find Dunta, im a Texans fan and I know the value that he brings to the team.

Dunta was selected with the 10th pick of the draft in 2004, this year the Saints have the 10th pick so we should be able to get a comparable talent. Thats why I brought it up, Dunta is probably the best defender on the Texans team and they made the right call by drafting him. In the interest of being fair, lets look at a list of all the cornerbacks who have been drafted top 20 within the last 10 years.

Charles Woodson(4)
Duane Starks(10)
Champ Bailey(7)
Chris McAlister(10)
Deltha O'neal (15)
Phillip Buchanon (17)
Nate Clements (21)
Terrence Newman (5)
Marcus Trufant (11)
DeAngelo Hall (8)
Dunta Robinson (10)
Pacman Jones (6)
Tye Hill (15)
Antonio Cromartie (19)
Darelle Revis (14)
Leon Hall (18)
Aaron Ross (20)

As you can see, there have been some very beastly cornerbacks taken in the first round, and this list doesnt even include safeties like Sean Taylor who were also taken early in the first round. If the Saints have the ability to take a defensive back in the first round, and the guy is good enough that he can be listed with the players above, then Im all for it because some of those guys would look real nice in a Saints uniform.

*ps I didnt have to "dig around" to find Dunta, im a Texans fan and I know the value that he brings to the team.

I never said 1st round corners dont make good nfl players so I dont know where you got that idea. I said if you want an immediate impact on defense from a rookie, other positions seem to give one far more often than corner. I want a guy who will help us get to a Super Bowl next year, not 2 or 3 years from now when other areas of the team may be falling off. We may draft a corner at 10 and he may be a beast from the moment he steps on the field and I'd be very happy, but it just seems the odds of having a beastly rookie LB are better. Just look at Willis and Merriman as recent examples.

Leon Hall (Cincy) was taken with the 18th pick and had 68 tackles, 17 passes defended, 5 picks and a forced fumble. Darrelle Revis (NYJ) was taken with the 14th pick and had 87 tackles, 20 passes defended, 3 picks, and a forced fumble. We just need to do our homework and make sure whatever position we draft, that they fit our scheme. From what I've read all year, this means we need "man to man" type corners as opposed to "zone coverage" corners (like Jason David). Which projected day 1 corners played strictly man to man? Them's the ones we gotta be looking at. Rookie stats: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...erience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Find

I never said 1st round corners dont make good nfl players so I dont know where you got that idea. I said if you want an immediate impact on defense from a rookie, other positions seem to give one far more often than corner. I want a guy who will help us get to a Super Bowl next year, not 2 or 3 years from now when other areas of the team may be falling off. We may draft a corner at 10 and he may be a beast from the moment he steps on the field and I'd be very happy, but it just seems the odds of having a beastly rookie LB are better. Just look at Willis and Merriman as recent examples.
You don't draft someone soley based on what kind of impact he will have his 1st year. It is a factor in the decision, but you draft someone based on what they will do during their career.

You don't draft someone soley based on what kind of impact he will have his 1st year. It is a factor in the decision, but you draft someone based on what they will do during their career.

If a guy has a great rookie year its highly likely he will have other great years. Its not like I want a one year wonder or anything.

Yeah, and where were the 49ers ranked defensively this year? His impact really didn't help them much did it? One LB is not going to turn our defense around, no matter how good he may be in his rookie year. If a CB grades out higher in the first round where we are you take the CB. Maybe he'll be a beast his rookie year, maybe not, but we aren't winning a SB next year anyway. We need to draft and think big picture (2-3 years). Our window is huge. We are a very young team. Our entire offense is locked up long term (minus some line positions). We won't be wasting oppurtunities if we take the time to build this team right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom