I dont want a CB at #10. (2 Viewers)

I never said 1st round corners dont make good nfl players so I dont know where you got that idea. I said if you want an immediate impact on defense from a rookie, other positions seem to give one far more often than corner. I want a guy who will help us get to a Super Bowl next year, not 2 or 3 years from now when other areas of the team may be falling off. We may draft a corner at 10 and he may be a beast from the moment he steps on the field and I'd be very happy, but it just seems the odds of having a beastly rookie LB are better. Just look at Willis and Merriman as recent examples.

What makes you think the Saints are one year away from the Super Bowl anyway? Here are the needs that need to be addressed before the Saints will make a superbowl:

FS
CB
OLB
MLB
DT
OC
OG
TE

We need new starters at all of these positions. Its really dumb to draft somebody only worrying about their first year impact because the guy we draft will be on the team for at least 5 years if not more and the Saints are not 1 player away from a Superbowl anyway dude. Not a smart decision to go into must win now mode and potentially sacrifice the future years of the franchise.

There are fair points all around on this thread. Unless you are looking at a Charles Woodson or someone whom every expert can agree is the best corner, I shy away from drafting corners in the first round much the same way I shy away from drafting WR's in the first round. Last year I was upset with the Meechum pick. At that time in the draft I wanted either a LB like Harris or an offensive lineman like Grubbs becuase I feel we aren't physical enough at either position. WR was the last thing I thought we needed in the first round. I reserve the right to judge Meechum though; I believe in Payton. This year, I am not opposed to drafting a CB in round one, but I would much prefer a LB like Willis or DeMeco Ryans or even Derrick Johnson who could step right in and be a PLAYMAKER. I would also not be opposed to DT or OL or S if we can get a Shawn Taylor/Laron Landry/ Ed Reed calibur safety. Just don't draft another WR or another DE. Dont draft a RB unless his name is McFadden in round one either.

A solid corner would be building for the future, which I am not opposed to, as long as we grab a playmaker in free agency. However, if we fail to get a playmaker in free agency who can have that immediate impact, we better find it in round one and two of the draft, regardless of the position.

You have to find a CB that will fit the system. That is what was wrong with David - he played zone in Indy for 3 years.

In the draft, (as in FA) you need to pick skill positions that fit your system.

I hope we get a upper tier CB, OG, and a serviceable DT & LB in free agency. I think we can afford a Briggs or Dansby, Faneca and then a good man-to-man CB. Stinch will look allot better if we get a big OG to go beside him. (remember B, Young is a FA and is coming off of a bad season)

We are short a ton of players this year because of the number of 1 & 2 year contracts we have been offering. We should look at Clayton or some other good WR's to be a #2 to Colston.

That way we can have FLEXIBILITY going into the draft.
Phillips would be nice, as would Connor or Ellis. Malcolm Jenkins may be a good sign.

Last edited:
Dunta was selected with the 10th pick of the draft in 2004, this year the Saints have the 10th pick so we should be able to get a comparable talent. Thats why I brought it up, Dunta is probably the best defender on the Texans team and they made the right call by drafting him.
*ps I didnt have to "dig around" to find Dunta, im a Texans fan and I know the value that he brings to the team.

you think dunta robinson is a better defender than mario williams and demeco ryans?

you think dunta robinson is a better defender than mario williams and demeco ryans?

Well, I did say probably. Its a tough call. Up until his season ending injury, Dunta was probably the best defender on the team. DeMeco a close second, Mario third. It could be a different story after Dunta's season ending injury, and question marks about his ability to come back at full strength. Plus Mario went on a rampage after Dunta went on IR so it really muddles the picture now. The best way to think about them now would be as a 3 headed monster, not one player superior to the others. But Dunta Robinson is no doubt a leader on defense for the Texans, and for the last few years he has been the lone bright spot in the Texans secondary. His value to that team has been huge, and he was definitely worthy of the 10th pick. If the Saints can get a defender like D-Rob with the 10th pick this year then I say do it cuz its worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom