I dont want a CB at #10. (1 Viewer)

bop

Very Banned
Reaction score
I have too many bad memories of Alex Molden. :covri:

It just seems to me that rookie CBs almost always take a season or 2 to adjust to the NFL and spend a lot of time getting burned. Other defensive positions seem to be able to make more of an impact their rookie year, like Patrick Willis. If we were rebuilding it would be different and we could afford to build for the future, buy we need someone that will be more likely to make an impact NOW while our window of opportunity for a potential Super Bowl birth is open, not a couple years from now when there is no telling what shape the team will be in. Give me an OLB, MLB or DT in the 1st round and address CB in free agency.

Im not saying that rookie CBs never make an impact or that other positions dont need time to adjust, it just seems that the odds are better with other positions of having an impact rookie.

I agree with u on this...most of the top teams allow their corners a year or two to develop

sign a CB or two in FA, Usama started coming along towards the end of the year, after another TC he might be ready...I read somewhere that TC is the main place young players improve, because during the season coaches are too busy getting ready for games...

I guess it all depends on who we can sign in FA. Loomis and Payton love the BPA strategy. I think we have to balance BPA with the needs of our team, and if they are the same then thats even better.

Agree 100%. I think LB or DT would be more beneficial for a immediate impact. (Assuming they can get a corner in FA)

Its possible to get a good corner. Have faith. We could have had Trufant. A early DT isnt always good too. Remember Sully!!

Whats with all this "immediate impact" stuff. I understand the mindset, but you build for the future. You don't draft for the best quick fix when another player may be a much better longterm player for us.

Well, the only Corner likley there in FA is Samuels....Trufant and the corner for the Raiders will IMO be Franchised. I have a bad feeling that Samuels is the kind of corner who is not built for our scheme.....man to man on the outside. The Pats play alot of zone and when you are surrounded by good players you can jump routes and take chances....just my thoughts.

Whats with all this "immediate impact" stuff. I understand the mindset, but you build for the future. You don't draft for the best quick fix when another player may be a much better longterm player for us.

well ummmm actually....

if your a corner back away from the superbowl, you will probably go out and draft a CB... so with ur mindset u think if the best player is a quarterback you draft him and build him for the future even though he might now see the field for 2 or 3 years???

NOPE!

Draft best player for your needs..... we need defense, and this original poster is correct, college corners VERY VERY rarely make an impact their 1st year.... we need to go hard after corners in FA and then draft an imediate impact player on defense..

unless you want us to draft another Meachem?

well ummmm actually....

if your a corner back away from the superbowl, you will probably go out and draft a CB... so with ur mindset u think if the best player is a quarterback you draft him and build him for the future even though he might now see the field for 2 or 3 years???

NOPE!

Draft best player for your needs..... we need defense, and this original poster is correct, college corners VERY VERY rarely make an impact their 1st year.... we need to go hard after corners in FA and then draft an imediate impact player on defense..

unless you want us to draft another Meachem?

No, with my mindset you take the best defensive player available. You don't pass on a 6-1 208 pound beast of a CB simply because he might not make an big impact his first year based on history.

We are not a player away on defense. It'll take several drafts to build us into a top Defense. Everyone keeps blabbing about FA CB's, but what CB's do you want? The only one who looks like he won't be franchised is Samuels. Good luck getting him to choose NO over all the other teams that will be bidding for him. The guy from the Raiders and Trufant are not going to hit the market. You can write that down.

Personally, I want Phillips at 10.

Agree big-time w/ the 1st post....CBs really take 2 years to develop. Further, not all 1st round DTs make it too (think Scully and even Dewayne Robertson - never heard his name as an All-Star).

If we have an opportunity to grab a really good LB, then take him.....THEN select as many Defensive guys during the subsequent rounds. Which means, I hope we select a CB, DT, another LB, S, another CB, maybe a QB or TE during the draft. Those are our needs.

DONE!

To me, at least, it means picking up the defensive player most likely to come in and make, well an immediate impact. The Saints are at the beginning of their window, as it's called. This window, in which a championship is possible, will be open for a few seasons if we're lucky. Nows the time to put a premium on players that can help the team make the final push.

Don't get me wrong, you still want to build the team for the longterm, but looking at a top ten pick in the draft, it seems the perfect place to go after a playmaker. Lord knows the Saints needs a defensive playmaker

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom