(I feel that...) Carney should go on IR. (1 Viewer)

Well, it's a creative idea. Don't see how it would be a great move but it's creative.

On the "going for 4th downs because we're out of Carney's range" arguments, Payton would have probably gone for those anyway. He's a risk-taker, and I think the players like that mentality. It's the one thing I give Haslett credit for as well. He followed Coach "Diddly-Poo" who never gambled and had a security blanket in Morten Anderson. Haslett was not conservative and took chances. Now, Haslett's strategy on going for 2 points and trying onside kicks did suck! But then Payton and that red challenge flag aren't a good match either.
Yes, but what happens if we're down by, say, 2 points in a game with 30 secs left on the clock in range for a 52 yard FG try. It's not about whether we might have gone for some of those 4th down conversions regardless, but the fact that Carney can't kick those long field goals when we would need him to.

Yes, but what happens if we're down by, say, 2 points in a game with 30 secs left on the clock in range for a 52 yard FG try. It's not about whether we might have gone for some of those 4th down conversions regardless, but the fact that Carney can't kick those long field goals when we would need him to.

You make a valid point ... I hope both Carney and Hartley are on the active roster.

NFL will pay for up to 150 rings at $5000. Most teams give every player who has been on the roster, IR or PS during the winning season a ring. Since Carney has already played 4 games for the Saints this year he would get a ring if the Saints win this year and the FO follows what is becoming standard procedure in the NFL. The reasoning behind this practice is that every player who has contributed in any way - being it as an active player or scout team/PS member during the season has a stake in the team reaching the Superbowl and therefor also entiteled to a ring

I think we should keep Carney active and cut Hartley. He has been reliable from forty yards in. Forget the long field goals, just go for it on fourth down.

Morestead can kick field goals. Cut them both.

With Morestead and our D looking real good so far, you keep the more consistent kicker. Carney has a career of consistency. Hartley has the end of last season of consistency; and interestingly enough his long in regulation was 47 yards.

KEEP CARNEY FOR GOD'S SAKE!! It's a no-brainer. Morestead has a leg if completely necessary but I trust his punting and our defense so far.

What point would there be to put Carney on IR? If your going to "get rid of him" just cut him.

IR makes little sense. The only value of that would be to prevent him from signing with another team.

Besides, this would be a lie by the FO in order to gain an advantage and I will never support that kind of behavior.

All that said, I really doubt that we cut Carney. Payton admitted well before the Hartley situation forced us to resign Carney that cutting him after the 2006 season was a mistake.

Benson never struck me as the type of guy who's going to pay a man's salary for a year, just to let him sit on the sideline and watch the games just in case they win a championship.

Since Carney is a veteran player and were on the roster for game one - isn't his salary guarantied for the whole year ? I remember this being mentioned when everyone were discussing Derrick Brooks.

Zero percent chance of this happening simply because Carney's not hurt, he's absolutely not going to want to go to IR, and if the Saints tried to put him on IR healthy against his will, the player's association would absolutely ruin the franchise. Not to mention no player would ever want to play for us ever again.

Fail.

Since Carney is a veteran player and were on the roster for game one - isn't his salary guarantied for the whole year ? I remember this being mentioned when everyone were discussing Derrick Brooks.

If he got cut, then picked up by another team, he's not going to collect two salaries. I don't know how it works. :shrug:

Personally I wouldn't change a thing..
Carney's kickin good, and our offense is always driving down the field he wont be put in any long field goal situations...

He proved last year he can kick in harsh conditions
He was 35-38 for the Giants.. The conditions over there get pretty bad, I just dont see Sean and the Front Office letting him go cause they regretted that the last couple years... and puttin someone on IR is like lettin em go for the year

How does that work anyway? If a player who has been on the team at some point during the season is cut and the team wins the SB does the player get a ring? Or, does the player have to be on the team during the game?

ray finkle did

With there being kicking issues for two other NFC teams (Seahawks and Giants), I highly doubt our kicker would make it past waivers. He would never make it on the PS and if I'm not mistaken, he might have accrued enough games to no longer be eligible anyway....but I could be mistaken ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom